Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Derby = Cinco de Mayo

no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

Derby = Cinco de Mayo

by Steve Magruder » Tue May 01, 2007 10:44 am

For those of us trying to avoid Derby activities on Saturday, where are the best Mexican places in town to celebrate Cinco de Mayo? Or simply to find the best food offerings?
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Jennie Mulhall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:22 am

La Rosita

by Jennie Mulhall » Tue May 01, 2007 11:05 am

the best mexican food I've had in a long, long while is la rosita in new albany--it's ruined me for other mexican food. i've loved everything i've had there.
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: La Rosita

by Steve Magruder » Tue May 01, 2007 11:09 am

Jennie Mulhall wrote:the best mexican food I've had in a long, long while is la rosita in new albany--it's ruined me for other mexican food. i've loved everything i've had there.

I've been there once myself. Yeah, their take on Mexican is very unique. (and delicious)

Hopefully, I can get back there soon.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue May 01, 2007 11:55 am

My favorite is El Toro on Hurstbourne.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Tue May 01, 2007 12:40 pm

I'm going to Indy to avoid the mess altogether.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Derby = Cinco de Mayo

by Robin Garr » Tue May 01, 2007 1:22 pm

Steve Magruder wrote:For those of us trying to avoid Derby activities on Saturday, where are the best Mexican places in town to celebrate Cinco de Mayo? Or simply to find the best food offerings?

Eeeeuuuuwwww! NOT to answer your question, this press release just in.

<b>KFC Says Hola! This Cinco de Mayo with New Grilled Mexi Bowls</b>
Thursday April 26, 4:01 pm ET
KFC Introduces Bold South-of-the-Border Flavors Exclusively to Southern California with the New Grilled Mexi Bowls as Part of a Line of New Grilled Menu Options

SAN MARINO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Colonel is putting on his sombrero this Cinco de Mayo as Kentucky Fried Chicken introduces its first-ever grilled chicken bowl with south-of-the-border flavors. The new Grilled Mexi Bowl will be available exclusively in Southern California KFC locations starting April 30th in response to consumers' ongoing demand for fresh, bold, full-flavored menu items. The Grilled Mexi Bowl is part of a line of grilled chicken offerings from KFC that include the new Grilled KFC Snacker®, Grilled Twister® and Grilled Strips Kids Laptop Meal.

KFC's new Grilled Mexi Bowl is a combination of authentic flavors with 100 percent all-white breast meat strips marinated and grilled in a blend of herbs and spices. The grilled chicken is combined with Mexican-style rice, jalapeno pinto beans and topped with freshly made pico de gallo all in a convenient bowl.
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Magruder » Tue May 01, 2007 1:39 pm

Hmmm... hate to say it, but that actually sounds a spot tasty. :o
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Tue May 01, 2007 2:01 pm

It certainly sounds tastier than their standard "bowl", but that isn't saying much. >_<
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Tue May 01, 2007 2:45 pm

Jennie Mulhall wrote:the best mexican food I've had in a long, long while is la rosita in new albany--it's ruined me for other mexican food. i've loved everything i've had there.

I liked La Rosita. Food was good. I like the way they do salsa but the first time I went there I was up all night casting food poison into the toilet via my face hole. It was also my last time.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Tue May 01, 2007 2:47 pm

MikeG wrote:I'm going to Indy to avoid the mess altogether.

The right idea, is what you have.
no avatar
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

by Erin Riedel » Tue May 01, 2007 2:48 pm

If you really want to get out of town, try Marimba in Shelbyville. The food is great and they have a nice deck for outdoor dining.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Tue May 01, 2007 2:50 pm

Erin Riedel wrote:If you really want to get out of town, try Marimba in Shelbyville. The food is great and they have a nice deck for outdoor dining.

Never heard of it, need to try it. There used to be one on Brownboro by that name but it is long gone and so is the place that replaced it.
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Magruder » Tue May 01, 2007 2:51 pm

John R. wrote:

I liked La Rosita. Food was good. I like the way they do salsa but the first time I went there I was up all night casting food poison into the toilet via my face hole. It was also my last time.

Some people react that way to spicy food too. And La Rosita takes some interesting twists with flavors. I would guess your system just wasn't ready for it.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Tue May 01, 2007 3:24 pm

Steve Magruder wrote:
John R. wrote:

Some people react that way to spicy food too. And La Rosita takes some interesting twists with flavors. I would guess your system just wasn't ready for it.

You would guess wrong. I am very well travelled and quite diverse in the foods I eat. My combinations of foods and drink has made others cringe not just in taste value but they just don't go together. I have eaten things not exactly part of LEGAL American cuisine, without problems. Known to many to have a stomach of steel. You learn to have one in the service with the crap they serve. I also tend to eat extremely spicy hot foods along with the combinations that make people cringe. Typically, because I don't want to share. SO, La Rosita poisoned me, unintentionally. Also poisoned a friend, TWICE. She didn't learn the first time. Stomach of steel or not, it's hard to fight the poison.
Last edited by John R. on Tue May 01, 2007 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Magruder » Tue May 01, 2007 3:29 pm

John R. wrote:
Steve Magruder wrote:
John R. wrote:

You would guess wrong. I am very well travelled and quite diverse in the foods I eat. My combinations of foods and drink has made others cringe not just in taste value but they just don't go together. I have eaten things not exactly part of American cuisine, without problems. Known to many to have a stomach of steel. You learn to have one in the service with the crap they serve. I also tend to eat extremely spicy hot foods along with the combinations that make people cringe. Typically, because I don't want to share. SO, La Rosita poisoned me, unintentionally. Also poisoned a friend, TWICE. She didn't learn the first time. Stomach of steel or not, it's hard to fight the poison.

I stand corrected. Hopefully, somebody will let them know if their food preparation practices need upgrading.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
Next