Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Wed May 02, 2007 11:56 am

John R. wrote:
Steve Magruder wrote:Cinco de Mayo -> food poisoning. Hehe, not exactly my intention for the topic, but hey, that's what makes life fun.

It was actually on how we say things rather than food poisoning. Had Robin said what he said in his last post, I had no argument. But he didn't, so I did. The first one being forums and subterfuge. The second one on how people describe restaurants as good, bad, wonderful, or awful. Though a great many will talk about their experience as great, wonderful yada, there are a few that will say a restaurant is bad. Just like a diagnosis, we are not competent enough to say whether or not a restaurant is wonderful or awful. Liking something is a cold hard fact. Robin's advice in his last post was solid and based on consequence but it wasn't really my argument. Now I wouldnt be surprised if Robin, based on my experience with him, to advise a person not to say a restaurant is BAD but rather their experience was bad. I know he doesn't advise caution when it's positive. That's a big fat duh, but it's something to think about. Probably not for this forum but eh.

Understood. There does seem to be a extra level of sensitivity in general here that I haven't personally experienced in other forums. I usually don't feel a need to watch so much what I say (I'm politically incorrect by nature), but due to some responses I've received, that's what I've had to do. You're right, when we're positive, no problem, but any hint at criticism doesn't seem to fly well. And I have no problem with you telling us about your experience at any restaurant, good or bad. I may ask questions in response, but I would never question one's ability to say what they feel.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Wed May 02, 2007 1:20 pm

Understood. There does seem to be a extra level of sensitivity in general here that I haven't personally experienced in other forums. I usually don't feel a need to watch so much what I say (I'm politically incorrect by nature), but due to some responses I've received, that's what I've had to do. You're right, when we're positive, no problem, but any hint at criticism doesn't seem to fly well. And I have no problem with you telling us about your experience at any restaurant, good or bad. I may ask questions in response, but I would never question one's ability to say what they feel.[/quote]

I don't think it's bad and should behoove us to be more polite or, in this case, more accurate in circumstance. It shows a person to be considerate, but like you I tend to be direct, because we are lucky enough to live in a society where an opinion doesn't get us killed that much anymore. If we were in a time and place where I say something made me sick without proper identification then you get the crazy populace scourging themselves in penance to the lord over some fleas. But you never know so its best to be cautious. As much as I hate it. I also don't think people are against criticizm, just how you present it. Which the enlightened side of me understands but the aggressive side wants to disregard. My point was that you can unintelligently be positive but not unintelligently be negative, not that you couldn't be negative.
Last edited by John R. on Thu May 03, 2007 11:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Wed May 02, 2007 2:13 pm

You're right, when we're positive, no problem, but any hint at criticism doesn't seem to fly well.

Give me a break. The difference in this board is that it is a board for people who eat at restaurants, people who work at them, and people who run them. As a result, you don't have the normal internet freedom of shooting off at the mouth because no one you're shooting off at will ever read a thing you write. Here you're actually part of a conversation that involves every aspect of the restaurant world. I like that.

It also means it is necessary to give thoughtful reasons and to avoid avoiding sophomoric responses and throw-away invectives. It's an adult conversation.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Magruder » Wed May 02, 2007 2:43 pm

Charles W. wrote:
You're right, when we're positive, no problem, but any hint at criticism doesn't seem to fly well.

Give me a break. The difference in this board is that it is a board for people who eat at restaurants, people who work at them, and people who run them. As a result, you don't have the normal internet freedom of shooting off at the mouth because no one you're shooting off at will ever read a thing you write. Here you're actually part of a conversation that involves every aspect of the restaurant world. I like that.

It also means it is necessary to give thoughtful reasons and to avoid avoiding sophomoric responses and throw-away invectives. It's an adult conversation.

Well, when someone (who I respect!) says they want to scream due to a valid, rational, adult comment I make, it makes me wonder. I would think that if one has something critical to say, it would be responded with a reason why the criticism is incorrect. That's what adults do in my experience.

But your point is well-taken.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 02, 2007 3:53 pm

Charles W. wrote:The difference in this board is that it is a board for people who eat at restaurants, people who work at them, and people who run them. As a result, you don't have the normal internet freedom of shooting off at the mouth because no one you're shooting off at will ever read a thing you write. Here you're actually part of a conversation that involves every aspect of the restaurant world. I like that.

Outstanding response. I couldn't have said it better myself, and maybe not as well.

The only thing I would add is that negative criticism is certainly permissible, as is disagreement and debate. But as you say, it gains authority when it's intelligently argued and civilly expressed.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Food "Poisoning"

by Deb Hall » Wed May 02, 2007 6:15 pm

Somehow this thread got off the track of what happened, and onto what you should or should not say legal-wise....Not to comment on that; just to comment on the original posting: about getting sick soon after eating somewhere:

An important thing to know about what we consumers commonly think of as "food Poisoning" has a lot of mis-information about it. As a consumer, I believed (wrongly) that getting sick a couple of hours ( I thought 2) after eating something meant I had been given "bad food" at that particular place. But in the Metro Health course for restaurants and restaurant workers, you learn that most " food bourne illness" has a much longer timeframe before on-set of symptoms: while 2 hours could be the case with staph, (Staph symptoms are 1-6 hours later - can be twelve) all the others are 8, 12, or 36 hours or up to 7 days later. So assuming that the food you just ate (as opposed to the food you ate yesterday or the day before) was the problem is not a safe assumption (and of course it could also be an unrelated stomach bug, or your drink, etc).

This was added for general education, not to comment on the correctness of the posting: I know it was a surprise to me originally.

Deb
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

Re: Food "Poisoning"

by John R. » Thu May 03, 2007 11:01 am

Deb Hall wrote:Somehow this thread got off the track of what happened, and onto what you should or should not say legal-wise....Not to comment on that; just to comment on the original posting: about getting sick soon after eating somewhere:

An important thing to know about what we consumers commonly think of as "food Poisoning" has a lot of mis-information about it. As a consumer, I believed (wrongly) that getting sick a couple of hours ( I thought 2) after eating something meant I had been given "bad food" at that particular place. But in the Metro Health course for restaurants and restaurant workers, you learn that most " food bourne illness" has a much longer timeframe before on-set of symptoms: while 2 hours could be the case with staph, (Staph symptoms are 1-6 hours later - can be twelve) all the others are 8, 12, or 36 hours or up to 7 days later. So assuming that the food you just ate (as opposed to the food you ate yesterday or the day before) was the problem is not a safe assumption (and of course it could also be an unrelated stomach bug, or your drink, etc).

This was added for general education, not to comment on the correctness of the posting: I know it was a surprise to me originally.

Deb

That's something to think about but there is also the human factor. For any virus, bacteria, or whatever to become active or gestate it depends on the person it inhabits and their systems. I have been one of those who was lucky enough to get e-coli from the extremely smelly but tasty cheeses of France. It hit me immediately (hour) which I hear is unusual and my girlfriend a 4 days later. Mine was mild, hers was very nasty. The instance I mentioned before was something called closter.....something or other, but I did not trace it because the doctor said something similar to what you said. He said it could have been the restaurant or anything in the last couple of days, so, I warned everyone. The reason I implicated so definitively is because of the multiple cases, albeit, I was the only one to seek a doctor.
Last edited by John R. on Thu May 03, 2007 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Magruder » Thu May 03, 2007 11:05 am

Of course, the original track of the thread was to find out the best places to go for Mexican on Cinco de Mayo.

Any more ideas?
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 03, 2007 11:15 am

Steve Magruder wrote:Of course, the original track of the thread was to find out the best places to go for Mexican on Cinco de Mayo.

Any more ideas?

I picked up a copy of El Dia at Nopalito on Brownsboro last night, but it was the previous week's edition (apparently this week's hadn't been distributed yet). In any event, the April 23 edition had no articles or ads pertaining to local Cinco de Mayo events. I'll try to pick up a newer copy today or tomorrow, but the short answer is, pick your favorite Latino eatery and go.

I like Rosticeria Luna and La Tapatia out Preston, La Rosita in New Albany and Perla del Pacifico in the East End. In the more upscale range, Seviche has done some Cinco de Mayo stuff in the past. And of course there's that mid-range of Hispanic-owned, bilingual spots like Los Aztecas (and Sol Aztecas), El Nopal/Nopalito and El Tarasco. I'd expect them all to hail the holiday in one way or another, but at this time I have no specifics, sorry.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Magruder » Thu May 03, 2007 11:18 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve Magruder wrote:Of course, the original track of the thread was to find out the best places to go for Mexican on Cinco de Mayo.

Any more ideas?

I picked up a copy of El Dia at Nopalito on Brownsboro last night, but it was the previous week's edition (apparently this week's hadn't been distributed yet). In any event, the April 23 edition had no articles or ads pertaining to local Cinco de Mayo events. I'll try to pick up a newer copy today or tomorrow, but the short answer is, pick your favorite Latino eatery and go.

I like Rosticeria Luna and La Tapatia out Preston, La Rosita in New Albany and Perla del Pacifico in the East End. In the more upscale range, Seviche has done some Cinco de Mayo stuff in the past. And of course there's that mid-range of Hispanic-owned, bilingual spots like Los Aztecas (and Sol Aztecas), El Nopal/Nopalito and El Tarasco. I'd expect them all to hail the holiday in one way or another, but at this time I have no specifics, sorry.

Cool. Thanks, Robin. Lots to chew on.

I've been to El Nopal and El Tarasco, so I just wanted to try something new.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

More Choices

by Deb Hall » Thu May 03, 2007 12:17 pm

We really like the (little hole in the wall) Mexican seafood/fish place on Goose Creek road at Westport, but I don't remember the name. (Do you Robin?) Its a little Tacqueria, no atmosphere but great authentic coastal Mexican dishes- very little tex-mex here. I doubt they are doing anything special for Cinco de Mayo, but they attract a local Mexican customer base so I'd bet there'd be folks there celebrating.

Or alternately, there is always my house: it's my 3 year old son's birthday....Thomas the Tank Engine Birthday Cake and a train Pinata, what could be more fun? :D

Deb
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: More Choices

by TP Lowe » Thu May 03, 2007 1:04 pm

Deb Hall wrote:We really like the (little hole in the wall) Mexican seafood/fish place on Goose Creek road at Westport, but I don't remember the name. (Do you Robin?) Its a little Tacqueria, no atmosphere but great authentic coastal Mexican dishes- very little tex-mex here. I doubt they are doing anything special for Cinco de Mayo, but they attract a local Mexican customer base so I'd bet there'd be folks there celebrating.

Or alternately, there is always my house: it's my 3 year old son's birthday....Thomas the Tank Engine Birthday Cake and a train Pinata, what could be more fun? :D

Deb

La Perla Del Pacifico, I'm pretty sure is the name of it.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

Great Mexican

by Deb Hall » Thu May 03, 2007 1:20 pm

Thanks! That's it; I knew it was something with Pacifico in the name, but right now all my brain cells are burnt on Boxed Lunches....

Deb
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

Re: More Choices

by John R. » Thu May 03, 2007 1:42 pm

By the way Deb. I like your establishment. I really liked the meatloaf. Beyond expectations for a bake yourself type. I wish you were a little closer but it is what it is. :wink:
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Thu May 03, 2007 1:54 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
John R. wrote:Now I wouldnt be surprised if Robin, based on my experience with him, to advise a person not to say a restaurant is BAD but rather their experience was bad. I know he doesn't advise caution when it's positive. That's a big fat duh, but it's something to think about. Probably not for this forum but eh.

Naw, it depends on the situation. Some restaurants really are bad. Denny's, for instance. Or Cheddar's. Or the family run restaurant in Cuzco where I <i>think</i> it was the homemade mayo that gave me Quetzalcoatl's Revenge.

There you go being considerate. I'm sure you could come up with more interesting descriptions for Cheddar's? :P
PreviousNext