Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

Favorite Gyro in Louisville

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:41 am

There are several nice Gyro spots in Louisville. Omar's is a cool little spot, but a little inconvenient to get to.

Bosna-Mak in Beuchel has a unique, HUGE, version as well.

But my favorite, despite the un-interesting name, is 'Pita Delights' on Grinstead.

That's become a new favorite lunch spot. Combo Gyros plate w/ a Greek Salad (loaded w/ feta, off the hook) is my staple there.

Anyone else like this spot

PS - Had a bite of my girlfriends falafel yesterday.......1st time trying one of those ----> Ummm, not my thing. In fact, I thought it was borderline nasty.
User

Megan Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:12 pm

scenic Germantown

by Megan Johnson » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:18 am

I'm not sure whether they serve gyros, but everything else I've ever tried at The Grape Leaf on Frankfort Avenue has been great!

their baba ganoush is like crack to me.

I haven't been there in a year, though, so hopefully the quality is still the same.

falafels are sort of an acquired taste. You might be able to experiment and find some you like at a particular restaurant, or you might not like ANY of them, ever.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Grape Leaf

by Steve Shade » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:28 am

Grape Leaf has gyros.

The owner of Grape Leaf is the brother of the owner of Pita Delites.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Favorite Gyro in Louisville

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:37 am

Adrian Baldwin wrote:There are several nice Gyro spots in Louisville. Omar's is a cool little spot, but a little inconvenient to get to.

Chicago Gyros on Brownsboro across from "Dirty" Kroger has outstanding gyros. Not much for ambience, but their gyros is definitely tops. Also, when it's open for the season, A.J.'s Coffee and Cream over in Georgetown, Ind., makes an excellent gyros.

I agree with Megan ... a well-made felafel comes about as close as anything can to vegetarian meat, but it might be an acquired taste. Still, fried, golden-brown and crunchy, what's not to like? :)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:45 am

Megan Johnson wrote:their baba ganoush is like crack to me.

All baba ganoush is like crack! If law enforcement knew about it, it probably wouldn't be legal!
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:50 am

Don't know what Baba Ganoush is...

But, the 'Avacado Dip' at Pita Delights, served w/ fresh Pita Bread is pretty crackish as well. So fresh...
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:54 am

Adrian Baldwin wrote:Don't know what Baba Ganoush is...

You could call it eggplant dip. A succulent blend of cooked eggplant and tahini (sesame paste) and lots and lots of garlic. Think of hummus, but where hummus has chickpeas, baba ganoush has eggplant.

It's fantastic, unbelievably good.

I've got a recipe somewhere ... I'll post it in the Kitchen section.
no avatar
User

Neal M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:37 pm

Louisville

Gyros

by Neal M » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:24 am

In addition to Chi Gyro, Pita Delights, Grapeleaf and others, Hani on Bardstown has great Gyros.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: Favorite Gyro in Louisville

by Doogy R » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:34 am

Robin Garr wrote:Chicago Gyros on Brownsboro across from "Dirty" Kroger has outstanding gyros.

I'll second that. I go with coworkers on a regular basis and I always say I will try something different next time. Guess what? I always get the gyros. Oh, and they sure do give you a lot of food for the money. Yeah, the ambience isn't that great, but the staff makes up for it by being so warm and friendly.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

baba ganoush

by Steve Shade » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:40 am

Robin said "It's fantastic, unbelievably good."

Just to show how people are different in taste. I have had most everything on the menu at Grape Leaf, Pita Delites, Saffron, including Baba Ganoush, usually as a taste of someone else. Like everything but Baba Ganoush.

I hate eggplant. Tahini is worse. The combination is gross.

Not to knock anyone who likes it, but just showing how tastes are different. :cry:
Last edited by Steve Shade on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Bayard Donaldson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:54 am

Louisville, KY

Re: Grape Leaf

by Bayard Donaldson » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:44 am

Steve Shade wrote:Grape Leaf has gyros.

Grape Leaf's gyros are great, and they come with a huge delicious salad on the side. They have also done a lot of decorating and have created a much more inviting atmosphere. Along with the decorations, they seem to be ramping it up in the kitchen as well. If you haven't been in a while, it's worth a try.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:00 pm

Bosna Mak in Buechel is my favorite, the bread sets it apart, made next door at the bakery.

$4 and it is a meal. Good grocery items also.

Did Robin do an article on gyros? If not, that would be a good one. Please check out Bosna Mak if you do!
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:23 pm

Unfortunately for those in Louisville the best GYRO left and went to Radcliff. Gyro Express in Radcliff is what used to be Louisville's Greek Paradise on Frankfort Ave. It's a pretty good gyro. The menu says the owner is Chef Maria Bell featured on "Secrets of Louisville Chefs" and claims to be the only "Greek" restaurant in Kentucky. I'm not sure about that last part though but they claim it. I work in Radcliff so it's one of my lunch stops.

Speaking of Radcliff. There is another restaurant that I frequent called Gasthaus cafe on Wilson Road. I had some kind of cheesecake there that blew me away. It was pastry on the top and bottom with the cheese or cream in the center. It tasted like a huge creampuff. Made me change my favorites around.
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:41 pm

The only gyro's I have had are at the St James Art fair! I look forward to them every year. Not sure if they are good/bad, haven't had anything to compair them too. Has anyone else had them? How do they stack up to others? Am I miss out on better gyros avaliable all year......
User

Megan Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:12 pm

scenic Germantown

by Megan Johnson » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:20 pm

we stopped at one of the gyro booths at St. James this past year.

what I received for my four or five dollars was rather underwhelming: just three little slabs of a strange meat product I was told was "lamb"........and NOTHING else.

no tzatziki sauce,
no cucumber,
no tomato,
no onion,
NOTHIN'.

I should have saved my cash for sausages over at the Mag Bar.

coming back to the subject of falafels for a moment, the now-defunct Nik's Café out here in the East End (where I work) made some KILLER lamb meatballs. They used a seasoning in them that I really couldn't place, but it was PERFECT. I'm sad they closed. I'm convinced it was the only place the East End had out of which I could walk reeking of garlic.
Next