Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

Do you have a hard time speaking up when something is wrong?

by Amy A » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:14 pm

I usually do. Most of the time I just suck it up, unless it's a major issue.

Yesterday though, I didn't and it felt great.

After we tried to go to Harper's one last time to sit outside we ended up at Rafferty's. Admittedly, I am not their biggest fan. My husband really likes several things there though, and they have a nice little outdoor area, so I agreed to go.

I always get the same thing when I go there, the blackened tilapia. My dish comes out in the grilled style, not the blackened. So I tell our server. She says, no problem, we'll fix it.

Jokingly, my husbands says, "I bet they half-ass it".

Sure enough, about five minutes later she carries out my original dish with seasoning, literally sitting "raw" on my first piece of grilled tilapia. She sits it down and RAN from us.

I look at him and laugh. I mean, there was this entire layer of freshly shaken blackened seasoning swimming on the fish.

Eventually she checks back, he's almost done eating and I just tell her that while I am not angry, that was really poorly done. She offers to fix ANOTHER piece, and I declined. I said, just take it off the bill.

That felt great. After years of often not speaking up, I did.
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

Re: Do you have a hard time speaking up when something is wr

by Steve Magruder » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:37 pm

Amy A wrote:I usually do. Most of the time I just suck it up, unless it's a major issue.

Yesterday though, I didn't and it felt great.

After we tried to go to Harper's one last time to sit outside we ended up at Rafferty's. Admittedly, I am not their biggest fan. My husband really likes several things there though, and they have a nice little outdoor area, so I agreed to go.

I always get the same thing when I go there, the blackened tilapia. My dish comes out in the grilled style, not the blackened. So I tell our server. She says, no problem, we'll fix it.

Jokingly, my husbands says, "I bet they half-ass it".

Sure enough, about five minutes later she carries out my original dish with seasoning, literally sitting "raw" on my first piece of grilled tilapia. She sits it down and RAN from us.

I look at him and laugh. I mean, there was this entire layer of freshly shaken blackened seasoning swimming on the fish.

Eventually she checks back, he's almost done eating and I just tell her that while I am not angry, that was really poorly done. She offers to fix ANOTHER piece, and I declined. I said, just take it off the bill.

That felt great. After years of often not speaking up, I did.

Good for you. I too find it best to be friendly, yet assertive in cases like this. I've never had to yell at anyone. Heh.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

jpdurbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Louisville, KY

Hmmmmmmmm

by jpdurbin » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:16 pm

If it is bad, or a complete order mistake, I will mention it subtly to the wait staff and/or the manager. I usually know the staff most places I go and always treat them with respect. I am not the type to roll over toes and throw a loud hissy fit to gain attention…
Johnathan P. Durbin
http://jpdurbin.net/
A Member of http://www.ThePCGurus.com
no avatar
User

Peg O'Neill

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:28 pm

by Peg O'Neill » Wed May 02, 2007 11:11 pm

Wow, Amy! I had almost the exact same experience with the same dish at the same restaurant. Only, in this case, I think they took "blackened" to be "burnt." Wish I'd spoken up.