Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

The Cutting Board

User

Dan Baumann

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:09 pm

The Cutting Board

by Dan Baumann » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:14 am

My wife, 7 week old daughter and I went to the Cutting Board Friday night for dinner. The food was terrific. We started with the calamari with sweet chili sauce, which was just perfect. We then had the crab bisque - delicious - and for entrees I had the garlic shrimp and my wife had the Jagerschnitzel. All were wonderful and a pleasant surprise as we had never been to the Cutting Board despite it being so close to our house.

The one downside was the server/service. Having our first child just 7 weeks ago, we've not eaten out often with her yet. She was terrific, though. She was hungry as soon as we arrived, so my wife began feeding her with a bottle, through the appetizer course, when my daughter fell asleep in her chair. This is where the service got weird. About halfway through the calamari, my wife's salad and my crab bisque was brought out. I thought it was a little fast, but we were fine. Not two bites into the salad/soup, our entrees were brought out. At this point my wife protested and asked that they hold the entrees until we finished our soup/salad. We got about 3/4 the way through them and the entrees came back out again. We really felt like we were being rushed through our meal. We observed other tables and saw nothing similar happening. At no point did our daughter cry or fuss - she was very quiet throughout the meal.

Is this what we have to look forward to, dining with an infant? Is it a common request for parents to have their meal rushed, perhaps, to get done quickly? Or was this just an isolated occurrence? Whatever the reason, it was the only negative the meal had, but might be enough to prevent a return visit.
no avatar
User

Matt F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:51 pm

Louisville

by Matt F » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:49 am

It is extremely common for parents with small children to request that their courses be served at a faster-than-normal pace. However, if you did not make such a request (which you obviously did not) then I find it very rude that your service was so rushed.
I would like to think that there was some sort of valid reason for your orders to have come to the table so fast, but having three courses on the table, one on top of the other is unacceptable.
In defense of your server, maybe he/she thought he/she was doing you a favor by hurrying things along. But then again, of all the things a server is responsible for assuming on behalf of the guest, being in a rush at dinner is definitely not on that list.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

~Tom Waits