Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Widow's Walk open yesterday!

no avatar
User

Andrea N.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:31 pm

Widow's Walk open yesterday!

by Andrea N. » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:29 am

Wanted to report in that Widow's Walk was open for business yesterday. They looked pretty busy.

Don't forget the locally owned southern Indiana ice cream shops! Not sure if all have opened for the season but I do know that Berry Twist on Scotttsville Rd (not far from Rockwall) has opened. If they are not open yet, Zesto's and Polly Freeze should be open soon.
no avatar
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:07 pm

Pollys Freeze is the best! Love the twinkle cones!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:37 pm

DeeDee D wrote:Pollys Freeze is the best! Love the twinkle cones!

I love the atmosphere of Polly's and hope it stays with us forever. But from a strict foodie's standpoint, they have soft-serv ice cream, while the Widow's Walk has hand-dipped. I'm not wild about soft-serv.
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

Custard?

by Gretchen D. » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:28 pm

Is there anywhere else to get custard, other than Starlight on Shelbyville Rd.? I have been a few times and I am not really too impressed. It doesn't have the body & rich flavor I've experienced before with custard.

In Coeur d'Alene, we had a custard shop that made REALLY rich small batch custard. It came in flavors other than just chocolate & vanilla, with a special flavor of the day. Unfortunately, it closed because the ice cream season in Idaho is so short!

I'd appreciate suggestions! Thanks, Gretchen.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:38 pm

The only other custard place I know of in town is Twisters across from Cheddars on Westport Road. In my opinion it's not as good as Starlight. I agree, none of the local custard tastes as good as the custard I grew up with in upstate New York. It's just not as rich and creamy as to what I'm used to.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:48 pm

Mark R. wrote:The only other custard place I know of in town is Twisters across from Cheddars on Westport Road. In my opinion it's not as good as Starlight. I agree, none of the local custard tastes as good as the custard I grew up with in upstate New York. It's just not as rich and creamy as to what I'm used to.

I thought Twisters is the same folks/same custard as Starlight.

There's a new Culver's--I haven't tried them:
Culver's of Louisville, KY
4630 Hurstbourne Parkway Louisville, KY 40299
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:26 pm

Charles W. wrote:There's a new Culver's--I haven't tried them:
Culver's of Louisville, KY
4630 Hurstbourne Parkway Louisville, KY 40299

We tried it shortly after it opened. I was underwhelmed by the famous "butterburger," which was thin, overcooked and not particularly interesting. I had a custard and liked it okay, but it didn't strike me as being significantly different from Starlight's version.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Starlite

by Steve Shade » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:48 pm

Mark R. wrote:The only other custard place I know of in town is Twisters across from Cheddars on Westport Road. In my opinion it's not as good as Starlight. I agree, none of the local custard tastes as good as the custard I grew up with in upstate New York. It's just not as rich and creamy as to what I'm used to.

My grandsons live close to Starlight, so we have tried it.

Overpriced and undergood (how's that for a new word)