Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Rick G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:05 am

Harper's Closing?????

by Rick G » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:24 am

Was out and about last night and heard from three different people that Harpers was closing tonight. Anyone know if this is true?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:29 am

News to me, and it would be surprising (and sad) if true. It's one of the least "chain-like" of chains, and I have the impression that it enjoys a large and loyal following.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: Harper's Closing????? UPDATE!!!

by Doogy R » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:31 am

Rick G wrote:Was out and about last night and heard from three different people that Harpers was closing tonight. Anyone know if this is true?

Please say it ain't true. That's one of all time faves on the Hurstbourne corridor. As Robin stated, it doesn't even seem like part of a chain. :(

NEWS FLASH!!!

I just spoke to a young lady at Harper's and she told me their last night is tomorrow. I asked why they're closing and she said they are going to turn the place into some type of Italian restaurant. She knew nothing more than that.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:38 am

I'm throwing a party. That's one of my least liked restaurants. Hopefully, we will get a quality restaurant in its place.

On edit: I forgot to say why. It's because I've never had an enjoyable meal at a Harper's. There's always something wrong every time I've been there.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

by Todd Pharris » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:11 pm

Steve Magruder wrote:I'm throwing a party. That's one of my least liked restaurants. Hopefully, we will get a quality restaurant in its place.

On edit: I forgot to say why. It's because I've never had an enjoyable meal at a Harper's. There's always something wrong every time I've been there.

So you're positively gleeful that people are losing their jobs? Nice.

Let me know if you ever lose your job so I can throw a party.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Magruder » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:14 pm

Todd Pharris wrote:
Steve Magruder wrote:I'm throwing a party. That's one of my least liked restaurants. Hopefully, we will get a quality restaurant in its place.

So you're positively gleeful that people are losing their jobs? Nice.

Let me know if you ever lose your job so I can throw a party.

Yes I am.

There are other restaurants to work at, including the one that will replace it.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:25 pm

I used to go there all the time and really enjoyed their appetizers and pizzas. The patio was one of my husband and I's favorite outside eating areas. Unfortunately we had one TERRIBLE incident there and the manager absolutely did not handle it well and I was never able to go back. (Something in my food did not belong there!)
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Magruder » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:35 pm

Amy A wrote:I used to go there all the time and really enjoyed their appetizers and pizzas. The patio was one of my husband and I's favorite outside eating areas. Unfortunately we had one TERRIBLE incident there and the manager absolutely did not handle it well and I was never able to go back. (Something in my food did not belong there!)

It must just be my tastes, because I found their pizza to be, IMHO, one of the worst pizzas I've ever had in a restaurant.

Anyway, for those who think I'm an insensitive clod over my previous remark, this is one of those "you'd understand if you were in my shoes" things. In my profession, it is far harder to find a new job if one loses it. Whereas with restaurants, there's one on every corner. I have no sensitivity to squeeze out on this subject.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:47 pm

See, I love super thin, barely there crusts with very little cheese. Years ago they really took advantage of their wood-fired pizza oven and would do pizza of the days with unique topping, IMO. However the past few years (while they were playing Wheel-o-Chef) that just sort of went away.

However, Primo makes WAY better pizzas than Harpers ever did, so I go get my crispy fix there.
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:00 pm

Anyway, for those who think I'm an insensitive clod over my previous remark, this is one of those "you'd understand if you were in my shoes" things. In my profession, it is far harder to find a new job if one loses it. Whereas with restaurants, there's one on every corner. I have no sensitivity to squeeze out on this subject.

Wow. Maybe you should get off your high horse and go work in a restaurant. It is not easy to find a GOOD restaurant job; meaning one that serves food you're willing to recommend and one that is a good fit for your particular personality. There are so many things that factor into finding or accepting a restaurant job. I don't normally get offended by much, but I am quite offended by your air of superiority and your ignorance in this matter.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Magruder » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:54 pm

Amy Hoover wrote:

Wow. Maybe you should get off your high horse and go work in a restaurant. It is not easy to find a GOOD restaurant job; meaning one that serves food you're willing to recommend and one that is a good fit for your particular personality. There are so many things that factor into finding or accepting a restaurant job. I don't normally get offended by much, but I am quite offended by your air of superiority and your ignorance in this matter.

Sorry you feel that way. It's not a matter of superiority at all. It's a matter of the jobs in my field being fewer and farther apart. It's that simple.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Working is restaurants.

by Doogy R » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:59 pm

Amy Hoover wrote:

I worked in restaurants for 24 years before making a career change and know exactly what you mean. I also have a feeling that "you'd understand if you were in my shoes" is a one way street concept with Steve. There are many businesses here locally and in the U.S. that I may not be fond of, but I NEVER take delight in seeing someone lose their job. That is just plain old mean and coldhearted.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Working is restaurants.

by Steve Magruder » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:30 pm

Doogy R wrote:
Amy Hoover wrote:

I worked in restaurants for 24 years before making a career change and know exactly what you mean. I also have a feeling that "you'd understand if you were in my shoes" is a one way street concept with Steve. There are many businesses here locally and in the U.S. that I may not be fond of, but I NEVER take delight in seeing someone lose their job. That is just plain old mean and coldhearted.

Doogy, you have a penchant for jumping to conclusions.

I never have taken any delight in anyone losing a job. Ever. EVER.

I said I was happy to see a poor restaurant close, so that another, better one can open in its place. No net jobs lost. Get it?

Further, what's mean is outright threatening me in private messages. I don't want to keep bringing that up, but you have it in for me, and I'm going to call you on it as long as you keep up the stalking.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:50 pm

Just remember everyone. Steve likes his chili from a can. :shock:

It's all about perspective.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Magruder » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:53 pm

Charles W. wrote:Just remember everyone. Steve likes his chili from a can. :shock:

It's all about perspective.

Exactly. But at least I don't like steaks cooked to rubber from Texas Roadhouse. :lol:

It's all about perspective. And thicker skins. (I know, myself included)
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
Next