Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Hero's in Jeffersontown

User

Jean P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:46 pm

Hero's in Jeffersontown

by Jean P » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:51 pm

:lol: Went to Hero's New York Style Pizza last night for dinner. It opened a week ago Monday in the space on Watterson Trail that had previously been earmarked for Witty's Irish Pub (I don't believe it ever opened.)

Really a great little hang out style restaurant with booths in the front decorated with movie memorabilia and a full service bar and banquet style tables in the back of the restaurant.

We went for pizza being intriqued by seeing if it was really like the New York Style that we have had on visits and I will say that we were not disappointed. We went with your basic 15 inch pie with pepperoni and green olives. When it arrived it had a heavenly aroma and nice "puddles" of cheese melted to just the right temperature mixing with the generous toppings. The crust was perfect, thin buy just crispy enough on the bottom so that when you folded the pizza it gave you the right crunch.

They have hero sandwiches as well, an assortment of appetizers (including dill pickle spears!) and desserts. Needless to say, we opted to continue finishing our pizza.

Also, they have a full service bar with lots of martinis and fun mixed cocktails. My husband ordered the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel ale made in Lexington by Alltech and it was awesome - smelled like bourbon with with no beer aftertaste.

Very family friendly but not too noisy and I a gentleman sitting next to us who grew up in New York said he hadn't had pizza like this in 20 years.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Hero's in Jeffersontown

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:57 pm

jean p wrote::lol: Went to Hero's New York Style Pizza last night for dinner. ... Very family friendly but not too noisy and I a gentleman sitting next to us who grew up in New York said he hadn't had pizza like this in 20 years.

Thanks for the report, Jean, and welcome to the forum! Hero's sounds great ... we went by to check it out a couple of weeks ago and were disappointed that it wasn't open yet, but it looked good at a glance through the front window.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:41 am

Went to this place last night. Garlic bread was awesome. Pizza was a tad underwhelming. Tasted fine but the crust was too done for NY style, was not foldable. I'd rate it above the chains and Wick's, but I rate a lot of stuff above Wick's.
no avatar
User

Jennifer Kavanagh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:34 am

Hero's in Jeffersontown

by Jennifer Kavanagh » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:56 pm

My husband and I went there for lunch today, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The garlic cheese bread was amazing.....lots of butter, garlic, and cheese. I thought the pizza was great, especially at $2 a slice for cheese pizza. My husband thinks Spinnelli's pizza is just a tad better than Hero's. In my opinion, Hero's is better. Will definitely go back!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Hero's in Jeffersontown

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:30 pm

Jennifer Kavanagh wrote:In my opinion, Hero's is better. Will definitely go back!

Whoa! I wanted to go out today, but got busy. I wonder if they're open on Sundays ...