Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Chili (AKA Chili Con Carne)

by Mark R. » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:25 pm

I probably shouldn't even open this topic but... 8) Since so much discussion on the boycott topic has centered on chili I thought it would be appropriate to open a topic for chili.

I certainly agree with most of the other posters in the boycott topic that Skyline Chili is terrible and is not really chili. I realize it is a regional thing and some people around here like it but outside of this immediate area it is a no go. When we lived in Greenville South Carolina a Skyline Chili open there but closed due to the lack of business.

By my definition there two musts and one can't that have to be met in order to call a dish chili. The musts are that it must be red and it must contain meat (normally beef but sometimes pork) and the can't is that can't contain pasta or rice. Beans are OK but not normally included (never included in true "Texas Chili").

I've tried chili at several places in Louisville and found some good chili but no excellent chili IMHO. What local chili does anyone else like?

Here's a link to the Chili Appreciation Society International
http://www.chili.org/
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Chili (AKA Chili Con Carne)

by Doogy R » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:44 pm

I happen to be quite partial to the chili at Famous Dave's BBQ. I hope that because I mentioned a chain, your thread doesn't get hijacked. :)
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:57 pm

Beware, I already got whipped hard on this topic. :lol:

Strangely enough, chili is not one of those things I eat out. The stuff in the can is usually good enough for me. Homemade chili is pretty good too. I can't think of any restaurant off-hand that does traditional chili well. (I'm saying 'traditional' rather than 'real' to be nicey-nice-nice)
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Tony D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:29 am

by Tony D. » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:55 pm

Frank's Meats on Preston does a pretty good representation of a Louisville chili (spaghetti included.) Plenty of ground beef and red beans, chunks of onion, green pepper, and surprising to me, celery. Started adding celery to my own.
I also am a big fan of the chili at Stevens & Stevens, it features big chunks of tomato which I am not allowed to use when cooking for the family.
My theory is the only reason anyone likes that Cincinnati style Skyline stuff is the same reason that I occasionally crave White Castle: when they were young it was the only place open late.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Chili.

by Doogy R » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:01 am

I miss Old Walnut Chili Parlor. It was THE quintessential place to get Louisville Chili. :cry:
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:08 am

I enjoy Buckhead's Buffalo Chili. It's about the only thing I REALLY like there.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Buckhead's Buffalo Chili.

by Doogy R » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:32 am

Amy A wrote:I enjoy Buckhead's Buffalo Chili. It's about the only thing I REALLY like there.

I've had that as well and find it to be quite tasty. I also find many other items on their menu to be quite delectable.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:32 am

Daves BBQ...Buckheads and Texas Roadhouse all have good chili....TumbleWeed is OK..... :D :D :D
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:34 am

and i must say that Skyline Chili is great on a cheese coney....but just by itself in a bowl...no thanks... :D
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Chili (AKA Chili Con Carne)

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:12 am

Mark R. wrote:By my definition there two musts and one can't that have to be met in order to call a dish chili. The musts are that it must be red and it must contain meat (normally beef but sometimes pork) and the can't is that can't contain pasta or rice. Beans are OK but not normally included (never included in true "Texas Chili").

I've tried chili at several places in Louisville and found some good chili but no excellent chili IMHO. What local chili does anyone else like?

Mark, I don't think you'll find any CASI-rated chili in Louisville simply because of our location. This region has a chili tradition, but it's not Tex-Mex or New Mexico chili. We grew up in this town eating Midwestern chili (ground beef, cheap "chili powder," beans, onions and green peppers over spaghetti with a good shot of Frank's Louisiana Hot Sauce, and that's a fact. Realistically, it's not a <i>worse</i> dish, it's just a <i>different</i> dish.

The so-called "Montana" chili at the Cafe in the Louisville Antique Mall is very good chili, and I believe it doesn't come with spaghetti. The chili at old Germantown saloons like Flabby's and Check's is a pretty good representation of the original Louisville down-home product.

If you want something that wouldn't make a CASI judge to into heart palpitations, though, there's only one option here, and a lot of good-old-boy chili judges might not like to hear it: Go to one of the more authentic Mexican restaurants and order <i>chile colorado</i>. You'll get finely chopped beef in a spicy sauce of red chiles and nothing else.
no avatar
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

Chili

by Chris M » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:47 am

Actually, chili and Chili con Carne are two different things. Thus the "con Carne" on it.

Chili (chili powder, chili pepper) is "the pungent pod of any of several species of Capsicum, esp. C. annuum longum: used in cooking for its pungent flavor. "

So any stew you make using chili powder or peppers as the primary flavor can be called "chili". White chili, greek chili, chili con carne, chili colorado, chili con queso and others are all variations on a basic theme.

TRUE chili lovers (me :-) ) appreciate the use of the peppers in a variety of forms and don't limit themselves to a single, simple definition.

CASI is an elitist group of Texans who think their form of chili is the only true chili. They do a lot of good work for charity, and it's all in good fun, but they are polluting the true joy of using chili peppers and chili powder to create a wonderful variety of flavors, smells and experiences.

Sorry for the rant, but I hate people who dismiss all the wonderful varieties of chili from all over the country and even world simply because they have some localized idea about what "chili" should be.

I love Skyline. I love the Chili Colorado I've had at several small mexican places around town. I love the white chili they used to have at Walnut Chili Parlor, and I love the chili at Checks, Buckhead and even Wendy's. Mostly I love the chili I make in my own kitchen.

One of the things CASI does that I agree with is on the official scoring sheet it says the following :

"Judge each chili on it's own merit; do not attempt to compare one chili to another."

That's exactly how it should be.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:50 am

This is your standard Louisville style chili, but Plehn's makes a very good bowl of it.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: Chili

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:53 am

Chris M wrote:That's exactly how it should be.

Excellent rant! :) In other words, I agree with most of it.

I'm not sure about the use of "con carne," though. I think your description was accurate in the "Joy of Cooking" era, but nowadays I have a feeling that it's gradually falling out of use and that, more and more, people just call their local or favorite version "chili" and the hell with it.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:03 pm

Chris M wrote:One of the things CASI does that I agree with is on the official scoring sheet it says the following :

"Judge each chili on it's own merit; do not attempt to compare one chili to another."

That's exactly how it should be.

I would say that goes for most things in life. People, opinions, restaurants, food, etc. Of course, this is only my humble opinion.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:34 pm

Doogy R wrote:I would say that goes for most things in life. People, opinions, restaurants, food, etc. Of course, this is only my humble opinion.

Geez, that pretty much knocks my profession in the head ...
Next