Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Restaurant advice ...

no avatar
User

jmccurry

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:30 pm

Restaurant advice ...

by jmccurry » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:47 pm

Looking for three good restaurants for a visit to Louisville in June ... Lilly's, Proof on Main and Jeff Ruby's is my current plan ... Any recommendations?
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Visit.

by Doogy R » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:55 pm

Those all sound fantastic to me, but you'll get loads of other input. One I might add would be Saffron's on East Market.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Restaurant advice ...

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:08 pm

jmccurry wrote:Looking for three good restaurants for a visit to Louisville in June ... Lilly's, Proof on Main and Jeff Ruby's is my current plan ... Any recommendations?

They're all good. Proof on Main is definitely one of the hottest tickets in town right now. Lilly's is still good, but a little past its peak ... it was the market leader in the '80s and early '90s, but time has passed it by a bit. I'd pick Seviche instead, or maybe 610 Magnolia. Jeff Ruby's is an excellent steakhouse, but again, Louisville has an awful lot of more interesting and locally unique options. The Oakroom or Limestone at the high end, Volare for top-tier Italian, L&N for an outstanding wine bar and upscale casual fare. There are dozens of possibilities here, but I'd look at some of the options to your choices except for Proof.
no avatar
User

John Mayhugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:56 pm

by John Mayhugh » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:39 pm

jmccurry wrote:Looking for three good restaurants for a visit to Louisville in June ... Lilly's, Proof on Main and Jeff Ruby's is my current plan ... Any recommendations?

Define good? If you've managed to find this forum, you've probably realized that Louisville is a great restaurant town. I think everyone here would love to be sure that you enjoy your visit. I'm wondering what kind of places you like (e.g. ethnic, fine dining, budget).

My advice would be to let us know what you like, read the recommendations, and then use Robin's reviews along with the menus to narrow down your choices. This site has links to some restaurant websites, the Louisville originals link above covers many of them, and there is another site called menusoflouisville.com that has many more.

The one restaurant I would recommend for sure is Pat's. It's not cutting edge by any means, but the food there is great and I think you'll get a good feel for Louisville by dining there. Just note that they take cash only there and there will be some dissenting opinions on this forum.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:58 pm

John Mayhugh wrote:there will be some dissenting opinions on this forum.

There's always room for dissent here, John, but for the record, I would call Pat's a forum favorite ... I think you'll find a lot more agreement than dissent on that one!
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:43 am

my current favorite is the Maya Cafe.
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:33 am

Much better places then Pats...try Ruth Chris...Mortons...Jef Ruby,s
no avatar
User

Danny E.

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:29 pm

by Danny E. » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:34 am

I'll dissent on Pat's and Volare. The last time I was at Volare, I was very disappointed. Additionally, Pat's, to me, is very uninteresting.

If I were to choose 3 restaurants to recommend, I would go with Proof, Seviche, and Jack Fry's. I've never had a bad meal at any of them. Plus, I love the atmosphere of each one of them. My favorite high-end Italian is Primo.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:48 am

Danny E. wrote:If I were to choose 3 restaurants to recommend, I would go with Proof, Seviche, and Jack Fry's. I've never had a bad meal at any of them. Plus, I love the atmosphere of each one of them. My favorite high-end Italian is Primo.

Without getting further into the debate over Pat's, and with a note that I have yet to be disappointed in Volare, I'll still applaud that advice. Our visitors won't go wrong at any of the four spots you mention. Good list!
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

One more opinoin...

by Chris M » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:53 am

Just my opinoin, but of all the places listed here, I think the steak houses would be the least interesting and unique to Louisville.

You can find a decent steak place in almost any major city.

Skip Jeff RUby's, Morton's, Pat's and Ruth's Chris. If you must have a steak try Z's Steakhouse and Oyster Bar, or order a steak dish at one of the other restaurants listed.

Seviche, Volare, Jack Fry's, Lilly's, Limestone and such will provide a more interesting and varied (and representative of Louisville) experience.

Enjoy your visit!
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:58 am

Definitely skip all restaurants that you can find in other cities, like Ruth's Chris and Morton's. If you stick to the originals that others are recommending, I'm sure you'll have a great *Louisville* experience.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist