Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Humana.

no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:05 am

Case Closed....I will have to save you post.... :lol: :lol:
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:06 am

Robin Garr wrote: And yet ... was there really any lasting impact on the arts scene when Brown-Williamson left town?

Actually, there really was. They were major funders of dance in Louisville, and that money has never been replaced to an extent that major touring dance organizations are showing up here. There was also a hole created that the Fund for the Arts has had to fill, which has not been easy.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:09 am

Robin Garr wrote: And for extra credit, was also a corporate parent of Philip Morris.

Actually, it was the other way around, but I know what you mean ....
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:21 am

TP Lowe wrote:Actually, there really was. They were major funders of dance in Louisville, and that money has never been replaced to an extent that major touring dance organizations are showing up here. There was also a hole created that the Fund for the Arts has had to fill, which has not been easy.

Okay, noted, with respect. And this further underscores that it's not an easy choice.

At some point, though, should a community stand up and say, "You can't buy us"? Just to reduce things to the absurd, let's suppose that the Klan decided to contribute a couple of million to the Fund for the Arts. Would that make them nicer people? Would we then be more inclined to welcome them into our community? (Note: Yes, I said it was an absurd example. But it addresses the same issue from a greater extreme. The question is, where do we draw the line?)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:22 am

robert szappanos wrote:I will have to save you post.... :lol: :lol:

Thank your.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:23 am

TP Lowe wrote:Actually, it was the other way around, but I know what you mean ....

D'oh! :oops:
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:23 am

Your Velcomb.... :o
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:30 am

Robin Garr wrote: The question is, where do we draw the line?)

Yes, that was extreme!

To me, anyway, the obvious answer is that a line doesn't really need to be drawn. As a society we live comfortably (more comfortably for some of us than others) in the gray area, trying to be good citizens, dealing with decent corporate citizens, and working with them to make the community a better place. I think 99% of businesses (which, by the way, are made up of people just like us) are decent citizens, if not necessarily the brightest bulbs on the corporate tree.

But, I make this argument too often on this board. I probably need to shut up and just realize that I am in the minority on this issue and let it go. However, the minor "attack" on Humana just set me off!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:36 am

TP Lowe wrote:But, I make this argument too often on this board. I probably need to shut up and just realize that I am in the minority on this issue and let it go. However, the minor "attack" on Humana just set me off!

No, it's fine. It's important that we be exposed to a variety of perspectives. Frankly, you help keep me from going over the edge sometimes. And I do agree with your "gray area" observations. So keep 'em coming, and speak up when you feel the need, TP.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:41 am

You're very kind, Robin ....
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:41 am

You are getting soft in your old age.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:47 am

TP Lowe wrote:
Steve Magruder wrote:
This isn't about Humana in specific but rather it's just another case of corporate indifference about their impact on the small business community.

It sounded like they were (at best) inadvertently taking business away from the area restaurants.

So, first they are indifferent about small business, but then it's inadvertent. I think this is just one more chance for folks (you, in particular, Steve, in this case) to pile on a business with more than ten employees as if they are evil. Sometime look at an annual report for the Humana Foundation and consider the amount of money they give away - not only in Louisville, but in many cities where they have operations. Do you enjoy the performing arts in Louisville? Best start thanking evil large businesses like Humana and Brown-Forman every time you attend an event, because someone is subsidizing your ticket to the tune of 50% or more, and a good chunk of it comes from those two companies.

I think you are overly parsing my words. Further, naming all of Humana's contributions sounds like a defensive mode that doesn't really answer the original question.

But I certainly do acknowledge the positive things you mention. At the same time, I acknowledge the many negative things companies sometimes do to earn the profits that they subsequently positively apply to the arts and such. I think it would be useful if people looked at the complete picture of companies, good and bad.

Also note that Humana's festival of plays this year is being panned by the critics. Not that it adds to my position, but I thought I'd throw that out there.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:58 am

TP Lowe wrote:
Robin Garr wrote: The question is, where do we draw the line?)

Yes, that was extreme!

To me, anyway, the obvious answer is that a line doesn't really need to be drawn. As a society we live comfortably (more comfortably for some of us than others) in the gray area, trying to be good citizens, dealing with decent corporate citizens, and working with them to make the community a better place. I think 99% of businesses (which, by the way, are made up of people just like us) are decent citizens, if not necessarily the brightest bulbs on the corporate tree.

But, I make this argument too often on this board. I probably need to shut up and just realize that I am in the minority on this issue and let it go. However, the minor "attack" on Humana just set me off!

I think 80% is more like it. That's still a vast majority of companies I think are running decent operations.

But I fail to see where Humana was "attacked". Nobody has called on them to leave town that I can figure.

So, a big company can't take some criticism? If so, that would be quite sad. If you're a big kid on the block, people are going to say things about you, good and bad.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:26 am

Steve Magruder wrote:[
I think you are overly parsing my words. Further, naming all of Humana's contributions sounds like a defensive mode that doesn't really answer the original question.

Also note that Humana's festival of plays this year is being panned by the critics. Not that it adds to my position, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

I don't think I "named all of Humana's contributions."

And to bring up critiques of the Festival is one of the most juvenile comments I can imagine.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

food service

by Steve Shade » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:32 am

Leah said
"My problem with what I read in the C-J online article was that its run by a California company. What, there are no food service vendors in Louisville, willing to run a corp food service? In a serious food town like this, that's what I get upset about."

Various large companies provide food service. I don't know of any from Louisville. Two Ford, two UPS, GE, Bellarmine, U of L Sub, St X, Sacred Heart,Churchill Downs and others are all serviced by out of state companies. Aramark, Sodexho, and Compass Group are the largest.
PreviousNext