Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Limestone New Year's Eve Dinner

no avatar
User

TrishaW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:05 pm

Limestone New Year's Eve Dinner

by TrishaW » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:11 pm

Thanks to those that recommended Limestone in my previous thread about romantic dinner locations.

We had reservations for 9:30. We actually arrived alittle after 8:30 due to the lack of traffic coming from Elizabethtown to Louisville, and lack of cops. We checked in saying we'd be having a drink at the bar. The hostess stopped us and asked if we'd like to be seated immediately. Wow! When I called to make reservations, 9:30 was the earliest available. Of course we said yes.

They were very busy. Most all of the tables that I could see in the dining room were seated. I remember making the comment that ours must have been the only no-show reservation or ate light table, as it was the only one in my area that was empty when we walked in. The captain came right over with our menus and took our cocktail order. The pheasant (or quail, I can't remember) pate was a nice treat. I opted to order the "Feed Me Chef" option, because I couldn't choose from the menu. My bf made his own selections. Unfortunately for both, they were already sold out of the rosemary lamb that Matt (the sous chef) had told me would be the entree for the Feed Me option as well as a special for the dining room.

The bf had the seared scallop appetizer. Not one bite was offered to me! lol I had shrimp and grits. I have had this down in Charlestown in a few places, but these were soooo much better!!! My caesar salad was wonderful. His bibb salad was tasty. I loved the presentation of both the crawfish/corn chowder and my lobster bisque. Having the meat already in the bowl, then the liquid part served from the little copper pot was a nice touch. I had the duck for my entree. It was a bit overcooked, but had a fabulous sauce. He tried the special fish, but didn't care for it at all due to the texture being alot like catfish. I had my dessert boxed up, and had it today. It was an almond cake with a chocolate center. I also had the wine pairings with each of my courses. It made for a lovely dinner.

There was a snafu. Apparently, from the gossip, the chef fired someone in the kitchen during our meal. It slowed things down horribly. Our meal actually took almost three hours from beginning to end. Thankfully the waitstaff were going out of their way to make sure we had full beverages and to update us on our meals.

I had a wonderful meal and a wonderful time. This was wayyyy out of my bf's comfort zone, and it made me appreciate even more him taking me there.

I will definitely try to go for their brunch one weekend.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: Limestone New Year's Eve Dinner

by TP Lowe » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:15 pm

Trisha

We crossed paths at Limestone.

My wife also had the fish special. It was a fish with which I was not familiar, and seemed to be served with the skin on, skin side up, an seared in a very hot pan. My wife commented that she liked it very much, but probably (in retrospect) would have preferred the sea bass. However, our dinner was perfectly fine, with good service. The only surprise to me was the gratuity already added to the tip when my party totaled two people, but I guess the special night was the reason for it.

Todd
no avatar
User

TrishaW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:05 pm

by TrishaW » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:53 pm

Yes, we were surprised by that too. 20% added on. We left an additional tip, but it seemed a bit odd to us too.
You weren't by chance the table behind us in the corner with the birthday cake, were you?
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:15 pm

No birthday cake, no ... sorry!