Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Main St. days, East End nights

Re: Dining options in Asheville, NC

by AmyBK » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:01 pm

We just returned from a wonderful weekend in Asheville doing our annual "Camp Piomingo for Adults" trip with 8 other couples.

Friday was devoted to "spa day" at the Grove Park Inn. Its a magnificent turn of the last century mountain resort. Its worth the trip to have cocktails and watch the sunset in their massive lobby, with the enormous fireplace and balcony that overlooks the Smokey mountains. After a day of fluffing and buffing, i was absolute jello while sipping a bourbon and water and watching the sun set. They also have a modest selection of appetizers. For those of you who spa, and I don't do so much, it is just the most wonderful, relaxing experience.

We had breakfast at the Moose Cafe on Saturday thanks to all the forumites recommendations and it was excellent and filling. So filling, we skipped lunch!

We went next door to the WNC Farmer's market and even though its January, they had a variety of offerings. Anything and everything that you could possibly want pickeled, was for sale. Lots of jams, jellies, syrups, barbecue sauces, and preserved products. There were a few artisans selling woodcrafts, jewelry. I picked up 2lbs of Amish Roll Butter, a huge slab of pork side meat, and some yummy jams from Coates produce. For folks headed to the beach in the Summer, this would be a great stop for fresh produce to throw in the cooler, and right on I-40.

Too full to eat lunch, we had a great time wandering downtown Asheville. We had to stop at the Mast General Store on Biltmore Ave. Fun, funky and a great source of penny candy and sweets. We went to the old Woolworth's which has been converted to an artist's co-op. Lots of interesting and reasonable artwork. We picked up cupcakes for afternoon noshing at the Sisters McMullin cupcake shop at the corner of Biltmore and Pack Square. OH MY! Those were terrific.

We had dinner at the Lobster Trap. Seafood is usually not my first choice, especially in the mountains, but the seafoodies among us were very pleased. I had an excellent cioppino and the dh had smoked trout. he must have enjoyed it because it was gone in a flash!

Rather than stay at a hotel, we have found a great place called Willow Winds that is 21 resort cabins, with fireplaces, hot tubs and a pond, hiking trail, outdoor play areas. The cabins are immaculate, have flat screen tvs and broadband. They are right off I-40 at exit 51, just south of Biltmore Village. Much better for 8 couples who want to party together than trying to do it in a hotel! If the kids are ever allowed to come with us, it is a great place for them.

And a huge thank you to Ed Vermillion and his lovely wife Cindy for hosting my zombie-shooting, video game brain-addled, 12 year old while we got some adult time. We owe you!
User

Jeremy Markle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:58 pm

In my car

Re: Dining options in Asheville, NC

by Jeremy Markle » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:01 pm

To tie this one to the recent chocolate thread, on our trip to Asheville in Dec., after breakfast at the Early Girl, we ran over and got truffles at the Chocolate Fetish and they were SUPER. I highly recommend them. http://www.chocolatefetish.com/
Check out the new http://www.kentuckyale.com
Previous