Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Louisville facts and trivia ... your ideas invited!

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:50 pm

DeeDee D wrote:Best forum for dinning out ideas-HOTBYTES!

Actually, I meantioned this in my story. :oops:
no avatar
User

Aaron M. Renn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 12, 2007 7:10 pm

by Aaron M. Renn » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:56 pm

The best view of the city is from Floyd Knobs.

When it comes to lingo, it's well known but true: in Louisville people add an extra "'s" on the end of things, e.g., Kroger's not Kroger; Ford's not Ford. My family calls Proof "Proof's".

Aaron.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:29 pm

Aaron M. Renn wrote:The best view of the city is from Floyd Knobs.

When it comes to lingo, it's well known but true: in Louisville people add an extra "'s" on the end of things, e.g., Kroger's not Kroger; Ford's not Ford. My family calls Proof "Proof's".

Hate to break it to you buddy, but it actually is "Floyds Knobs" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyds_Knobs

I used to have a roommate from there.

That being said, you're right; folks in this town are terrible about adding an extraneous "s" to things: it's The Connection, not Connections, it's Cafe Lou Lou, not "Lou Lou's", it's Meijer, not Meijer's, etc... but those Knobs? They're Floyd's. :mrgreen:
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:59 pm

Where to dance: The Electric Cowboy, 8021 Dixie Hwy.

I think it made the best of Louisville.

When we moved here, we had a hard time finding dance venues, and that surprised us. The other places mentioned here are admittedly places with a dance floor and music, but I find them irritating as hell because, well, to be frank, they don't cater to actual dancers. We tried Coyotes for awhile, and although for awhile there were a lot of folks who frequented the place because it was maybe one of the best floors in town, most of those folks (including us) have stopped going, and for a lot of reasons.... The crowds, the music, the general sense that it's not a great place for people who take dance at least somewhat seriously (whatever form that takes). Good places that can attract people who know at least a little bit how to dance are hard to find.

The Electric Cowboy, although not perfect, really does offer a decent floor and a mix of music for all sorts of dance styles (it's a chain, and Gary and I used to dance maybe three times a week at the one in Fort Smith Arkansas when we lived there). I wish they'd enforce their "no drinks on the dance floor rule," but if you get there early, the floor's yours pretty much. It's conducive to country, to social dancing, club dancing, to swing (both country and traditional -- west coast, east coast, etc), and pretty much whatever you want to do.
Previous