Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Don't forget Equus!

no avatar
User

Julie Green

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:05 pm

Don't forget Equus!

by Julie Green » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:53 pm

My husband and I just returned from another perfect experience at Equus, and I just want to make sure that no one forgets, while trying to sample the various newer venues in town, what a complete package they have to offer. There was definitely a better crowd there tonight, on a Saturday night, than on our last visit on our anniversary that fell on a week night, but still it was definitely an older clientele( we are in our mid 30's). I want to preface this by saying we are regulars at 610 Magnolia, have been to Proof several times, Jack Fry's, Vincenzos several times, Varanese, Limestone, English Grill, Avalon, Patron, Seviche several times, Asiatique several times, etc. and Equus continues to be or favorite. By far, no one can hold a candle to them on pampering and service (although we adore our Chorben at 610!). I am continually blown away by their willingness to bend over backwards- I even received a black napkin to accompany my black velvet dress tonight, and Alan, the waiter we continually look forward to having, is worth his weight in gold- his advice is spot on.
However aside from service, Jim, my husband, and I were trying to make sure we were not neglecting any other restaurant on the quality of their food, and once again, we determined that Equus was the leader in that category as well. We have had their tasting menu on several occasions, which is always a journey of leisurely decadence- the sommelier for the wine pairing is a delight as well- but there is not a remotely mediocre choice to be had on thier regular menu either. Tonight Jim had the Shrimp Jenkins, one of their specialties and flawless as usual, and I had the braised pork shank with tomato jam for the first time, and I was literally swooning. It was perfectly balanced in every way- more tender than any pork I've had, seasoned perfectly and reduced down to bring the flavors to their fullest. The rock shrimp bisque embraced you from the inside, as all their soups tend to do, and the sherry vinaigrette on my bibb salad was perfectly balanced (mind you I usually always have to add salt or sugar to my dressings).
We have not yet been to Corbett's, and definitely look forward to going, and we absolutely adore Jack's for providing hip sophistication in a bar atmosphere, but please, please, please do not forget the incomparable Equus.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

Re: Don't forget Equus!

by Brad Keeton » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:51 pm

Thanks, Julie, and you're right - Equus is definitely a gem in a city with many wonderful dining establishments. Your comments make me realize it's been too long since I've been there.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown