Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Liang's Cafe.

User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Liang's Cafe.

by Doogy R » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:43 pm

I've been to Liang's Cafe at Springhurst a few times lately. It may not have the authentic Chinese foods as does Red Pepper, but this is a very consistent place for good "Chinese-American" foods. I believe they have the best pot stickers in the Ville. Evidently, so do a couple of other people. http://www.liangscafe.com/Reviews.htm

If you live in the area, I believe this place is worth checking out. Nice decor, great food and service and very consistent food, not to mention the very reasonable prices.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Liang's Cafe.

by Doogy R » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:17 pm

annemarie m wrote:i havent been. although i have been there when it was another chinese restuarant. doogy what's your thought on the chinese restuarant in the kroger shopping center by UPS. it's been there forever. they need to update the place. food to me is ok.

It's one of those Chinese fast food joints. The food is very oily. It's definitely a last resort for me.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:46 pm

This is the guy from Emperer of China. He does make the best potstickers. Overall I like it as a good alternative.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:26 pm

Mark Head wrote:This is the guy from Emperer of China. He does make the best potstickers. Overall I like it as a good alternative.

Note, though, that Roland is the front-of-the-house guy. He's a great host, but he doesn't handle the wok.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:13 pm

Got it straight....thanks
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:41 pm

Doogy R wrote:I've been to Liang's Cafe at Springhurst a few times lately. It may not have the authentic Chinese foods as does Red Pepper, but this is a very consistent place for good "Chinese-American" foods. I believe they have the best pot stickers in the Ville. Evidently, so do a couple of other people. http://www.liangscafe.com/Reviews.htm

If you live in the area, I believe this place is worth checking out. Nice decor, great food and service and very consistent food, not to mention the very reasonable prices.

I've eaten there when it was under another name...not bad, but definitely "McMao" fast food....have you tried Double Dragon...also skewed toward carry-out (but you can dine-in)....arguably among the best Chinese take-out I've had in town.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:03 pm

John Greenup wrote:I've eaten there when it was under another name...not bad, but definitely "McMao" fast food....

John, not to get argumentative - we've all got a right to differing opinions - but are you positive we're all talking about the same place? Liang's is the good-size space at the left-hand end of a Springhurst strip just behind Party Barn. As far as I know, the only predecessor in that space was Peking City, which had a super chef from Sichuan who was extremely respected in the local Chinese community and produced outstanding fare. The downside was that they wouldn't easily allow Westerners to try the authentic menu - I got some real grief from them about that one time, and they finally tried to trick me by giving me a menu with only Chinese characters. (Fortunately, I've studied just enough menu Chinese that I was able to guess at a couple of dishes and order lunch, much to their amazement. ;D ) But it was far from "McMao" status. (Love that term, by the way ... )
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Prospect

by Mark Head » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:09 pm

I have to say that I think Liang's does a nice job. They are NOT your run-of-the-mill Chinese place. I think that they have an "authentic" menu now. I've had a couple of fish dishes there that I've not seen anywhere else in town. It's family run for the most part .

I never ate at the prior restaurant in that location.

edited for stupid typo
Last edited by Mark Head on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:17 pm

For further description ( I live around the corner): Liangs is in the strip mall with Dick's, Dr, Bisers, and Office Max. It has a large dining room ( for a chinese place) and while I'd assume they do a lot of take-out business, they are not your typical "chinese carrry-out place" at all.

Deb
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:37 pm

Deb Hall wrote:For further description ( I live around the corner): Liangs is in the strip mall with Dick's, Dr, Bisers, and Office Max. It has a large dining room ( for a chinese place) and while I'd assume they do a lot of take-out business, they are not your typical "chinese carrry-out place" at all.

Deb

A typical Chinese carry out place in my area is the one described earlier near the UPS and Kroger across from the Summit. Tiny dining room and mostly take out. Not very good take out at that. I always dine in at Liang's and find the food and service to be well above average. I have GOT to get some more of those pot stickers soon. They are definitely worth the 10-15 minute wait.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:40 pm

Doogy and Annamarie,

The place you are describing is "888 Great Wall". We enjoy it regularly for standard chinese take-out.

Deb
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:19 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Doogy and Annamarie,

The place you are describing is "888 Great Wall". We enjoy it regularly for standard chinese take-out.

Deb

I knew the name of it, but since I was describing it in less than a good light I left it unmentioned. I am glad y'all enjoy it though. It's just not my cup of tea.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:24 pm

annemarie m wrote:and what about the chinese place here in norton commons? anybody like it?

Annemarie, it seems like everytime I'm at NC I never make it to the Chinese Bistro. Have you been and if so, how is it? I did pick up a menu once and it looks nice and fairly priced.
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:30 pm

I went to the chinese place in NC when it was fairly new. At that time I thought it was pretty average. Haven't seen the need to return. Clearly not as good as Liang's, IMHO.
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:48 am

We have liked Liang's! In our opinion, they have a very standard sounding menu, yet each dish has a little something different that brings it a step above the norm. A Red Pepper it isn't, but the menu is accessible (we've taken friends for whom Red Pepper is just too much of a stretch), the food well prepared, the portions huge, and that small difference gives them a leg up.

I especially recommend (along with the pot stickers) the chef's special tofu combination (with tofu, beef, pork, shrimp, chicken, et al - enough for two people easily), and the hot wings (!)
Andrew Mellman
Next