Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: curious, did anybody get fruitcake?

by RonnieD » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:02 pm

quite the opposite actually, my in-laws send us a fruitcake from Collins St. Bakery in TX every year and it is the only fruitcake I have ever encountered that is actually worth eating. I'm still not a fruitcake fan, but this one is actually palatable!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:03 pm

Oh yes. DH always asks for and receives a fruitcake from Gethsemine. It's quite yummy.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:34 pm

My hubby loves fruitcake. I can't stand it. I think it's the unnaturally colored fruits.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:16 am

We actually got a couple including a wonderful homemade one from some friends that was made with all natural fruit (no preservatives). I'm not sure why fruitcake gets such a bad rap, most of them are very good and something very different for the holiday season. Yes, there are some bad ones out there but the majority I've had (commercial or homemade) have been very good. Maybe they get bad press just because it's fun to do, not because people really don't like them. There are certainly enough sold and made every year.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:25 am

My mom makes the ultimate Damson plum tart. I always steal a couple. The recipe is from Germany and no man ever gets it. The only way it's passed down is when a woman in our family dies and she passes it down. I have spoken to my sis and she seems agreable to giving me the recipe. I just want to say it's UNREAL. It is fruit, could pass as a cake, so here I am.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:41 am

:( :( No fruitcake for me :( :(
I love fruitcake. Sigh!
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:42 am

GaryF wrote::( :( No fruitcake for me :( :(
I love fruitcake. Sigh!

I have tarts.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

by Todd Pharris » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:18 pm

My motto is "A bad piece of chocolate cake is better than a good fruitcake."
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:25 pm

I absolutely love fruitcake and am one of the few people I know who do. Fortunately I married into a family where my mother in law and sis in law do too. I'm in love with the cakes from the Abbey of Gesthemene. I like to think the monks secretly take shots of bourbon while making it.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:59 pm

I got a great fruitcake that REEKS of rum - I love it. I don't know where it's from and when I asked my boss, he pointed to a box. Good enough for me. I think I am gonna have to find out the source, though, just in case it comes from a special place worth knowing about.

What I didn't have any of this year that can't be replaced by anything else was a good slice of Jam Cake. My aunt makes one that must weigh 10 lbs, but I foolishly skipped that function this year.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:16 pm

Jackie R. wrote:I got a great fruitcake that REEKS of rum - I love it. I don't know where it's from and when I asked my boss, he pointed to a box. Good enough for me. I think I am gonna have to find out the source, though, just in case it comes from a special place worth knowing about.

What I didn't have any of this year that can't be replaced by anything else was a good slice of Jam Cake. My aunt makes one that must weigh 10 lbs, but I foolishly skipped that function this year.

I make jam cake! I'll have to make one for us all to share at the next offline.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:39 pm

Marsha L. wrote:
Jackie R. wrote:I got a great fruitcake that REEKS of rum - I love it. I don't know where it's from and when I asked my boss, he pointed to a box. Good enough for me. I think I am gonna have to find out the source, though, just in case it comes from a special place worth knowing about.

I make jam cake! I'll have to make one for us all to share at the next offline.

Ouh Wee! Sounds great.

Would that be the Shrimp & Grits throw down thangy?

We're headed for a New Years Eve party at Natural Bridge. A couple of ol' EKU friends will bring jam cakes...... :D :D
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:43 am

Is Jam Cake a KY thing? I don't know that I've ever had it. Is it akin to fruitcake? Can I have some?
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:09 am

GaryF wrote:Is Jam Cake a KY thing? I don't know that I've ever had it. Is it akin to fruitcake? Can I have some?

I think it's more of an Appalachian/Southern thing. And yes, when I make some, you can have some. It's like a spice cake (cloves, cinnamon, etc) with blackberry jam in the batter, and usually includes nuts and raisins. With cream cheese frosting!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:36 am

Mother, who was from Louisville, always made Jam Cake over the holidays. As I recall, she used Cissy Craig's (old, old Lou food writer) recipe. I'm almost sure her's had a caramel icing. I've got her recipe somewhere, if I can dig it out. Makes me think that this version might be a Louisville thing because my Grandmother also made the same cake. Also, we always had coconut cake with the fluffy white icing.
Next