Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:27 pm

I have a co-worker (recent Louisville transplant) who never went to Mark's Feed Store until he went with a group... He thought it was a feed store, not a restaurant.

I also have to wonder how many people go into Three Dog Bakery thinking it is something like Blue Dog Bakery, or vice versa.

I know we've all grown up hearing it, but "Flabby's" is a funny name for a restaurant, come to think of it...
no avatar
User

Pam G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:19 pm

Downtown days/Northeast nights

Funny Name

by Pam G » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:42 pm

Not an awful name, but funny name. This restaurant in Boulder, CO is called The Buff. So I can say I eat in The Buff. I have a t-shirt from there. And when we were in western Colorado, we stopped at this convienent store called Kum & Go. I have a t-shirt from there also.

http://www.kumandgo.com
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

by Mike Hardin » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:47 pm

Mark's Feed Store was originally a feed store. The location in Middletown was a feed store I used to frequent with my dad when we'd get food for our pet shop.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:07 pm

Sambos...It was like a Dennys and they were all across the southeast...
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:16 pm

robert szappanos wrote:Sambos...It was like a Dennys and they were all across the southeast...

And California and the Intermountain West, to my memory.

The original Sambo in the children's story was East Indian, of course. And a sympathetic figure. I never could quite figure out what the problem was there.
no avatar
User

Amanda Y.

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:14 pm

highlands - bonnycastle

by Amanda Y. » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:22 pm

MarieP wrote:.

I also have to wonder how many people go into Three Dog Bakery thinking it is something like Blue Dog Bakery, or vice versa.

i used to work at blue dog, and yes, sometimes we would get a phone call from a person who was interested in having us bake a birthday cake for their dog. this happened more often than you could imagine.
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

by Todd Pharris » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:31 pm

I remember years ago a place off of 71-North on the way to Cincinnati called Man o' War Steak House. Yuck.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:45 pm

Todd Pharris wrote:I remember years ago a place off of 71-North on the way to Cincinnati called Man o' War Steak House. Yuck.

LOL...

Wasn't there a place in town that was closed because it served horse meat?
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:49 pm

In Pamplona (Spain), just down the street from the bull ring, there used to be a shop with a very simple sign: Carneceria ... no mention of and specific specialty or bill of fare for the butcher/meat shop, but numerous painted pictures of horses surrounding the doorway.

Of course, at one time, there was quite a carnage of the horses used in the fights, and I imagine that's where it originated.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Mike M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:45 am

Jeffersonville

by Mike M » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:05 pm

great topic
I can't remember where I have seen this place, but it was called "The Roadkill Cafe" funny but none to appealing, another place I recall from Virginia Beach called "Stucky's", I ate there once and it was awful
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:39 pm

"I know we've all grown up hearing it, but "Flabby's" is a funny name for a restaurant, come to think of it"

That name came about because the original owner was named "Flabby" Devine. Note that the sign says Flabbys home of devine food. Now owned by the person who owns Mazzonis.
no avatar
User

johnlannon

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:02 am

Poopy's

by johnlannon » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:43 pm

As a child, I remember driving past a place called Poopy's in either Covington or Cincinnati. I have no idea if they're still open, but I can imagine that the health inspector kept a close eye on them.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

ancient history

by Steve Shade » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:49 pm

One of my favorites was "WOP" in a shopping center on Hurstbourne Lane.

The CJ tried to stir up some controversy about the WOP. However the owner claimed it stood for "Wood Oven Pizza". Since he and his wife were 100% Italian, it never got any traction.

I did business with him for years and he knew exactly what he was doing with the name.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:00 pm

A friend sent me htis. I apologize if anyone is offended, but it made me snort:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j83/s ... fuk_mi.jpg
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:34 pm

Stuckeys used to be a chain that was usually just off the interstate. They would offer a box of candy with every fillup...There pecan Logs were some of the best...and they usually sold texaco gas... :D :D
PreviousNext