Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

Worst possible name for eatery?

by Mike Hardin » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:51 am

In the PNC tower, there was a bagel place called the Bagel Box Deli. I guess they went out of business or sold it to someone else but there is a replacement now - the Cat Box Deli. That's not an image I want when I want to eat. Yikes.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Worst possible name for eatery?

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:58 am

Mike Hardin wrote:In the PNC tower, there was a bagel place called the Bagel Box Deli. I guess they went out of business or sold it to someone else but there is a replacement now - the Cat Box Deli. That's not an image I want when I want to eat. Yikes.

HAHAHAAAA! I've always wondered why people just don't <i>think</i>.

It wasn't an eatery, but there used to be a gift shop at the airport, apparently run by women named Charlene and Nell. They combined their names as the store's moniker, and proudly hoisted a big sign that read <B>Charnel of Louisville</B>.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:58 am

lol :lol: :shock:
no avatar
User

RebeccaWebb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:54 am

Lexington, KY

by RebeccaWebb » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:12 am

One that got me was "Dick's Hot Dogs" here in Lexington ... they are out of business.
Rebecca Phillips Webb
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

Kitchen slop?

by Roger A. Baylor » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:32 am

There used to be one on the corner near NABC called "Sloppy's."

I didn't much dig that imagery. It lasted roughly two years, and it's now a Pizza Hut.

Even worse.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

Re: Kitchen slop?

by John R. » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:33 am

Roger A. Baylor wrote:There used to be one on the corner near NABC called "Sloppy's."

I didn't much dig that imagery. It lasted roughly two years, and it's now a Pizza Hut.

Even worse.

That's funny.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
no avatar
User

Paul W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:23 pm

highlands

by Paul W » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:47 am

just noticed this place going in on shelbyville rd. the other day. Puccini's Smiling Teeth. when i first saw the place i honestly thought it was a dentist or some sort of in and out teeth whitening place. i dont think it's a really BAD name for a restaurant...just funny.

i googled them and found their website. it's a pizza/pasta/sandwich place. it actually looks to be worth checking out. interesting pizzas and a REALLY long list of toppings. may be something close to the pizza place people were saying that louisville has lacked which was being discussed in another thread.

here's the website address:
http://www.puccinissmilingteeth.com/index.html
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:30 pm

paul w wrote:just noticed this place going in on shelbyville rd. the other day. Puccini's Smiling Teeth.

Where on Shelbyville, Paul? Sounds worth a look, chain or no!
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:37 pm

My husband and I drove by the new Puccini's place a couple of weeks ago and turned back to look, thinking it must be a new restaurant by the look of it driving quickly by, drove up, looked at the sign and we both said it sounded more like a dentist's office than a restaurant. But it does sort of sound too like a name maybe a native Italian with not great command of English might come up with.
no avatar
User

Paul W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:23 pm

highlands

by Paul W » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:38 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
paul w wrote:just noticed this place going in on shelbyville rd. the other day. Puccini's Smiling Teeth.

Where on Shelbyville, Paul? Sounds worth a look, chain or no!

hmm the name of the shopping center escapes me. it's the one with Borders, Wild Oats, Feeder Supply, ect, ect, and it looks to be going in right up front...i think there used to be a Payless Shoes in the spot.

yeah, forgot to mention it was a chain. looks like they're pretty small for a chain, with locations in only a few states. indiana and kentucky maybe?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:40 pm

paul w wrote:hmm the name of the shopping center escapes me. it's the one with Borders, Wild Oats, Feeder Supply, ect, ect, and it looks to be going in right up front...i think there used to be a Payless Shoes in the spot.

Okay, that describes it perfectly! Used to be Shelbyville Road Plaza, maybe it still is, but it's undergone a complete makeover in recent years, and for all I know, they renamed it.

Anyway, it's "The Place Where Hawley-Cooke Booksellers used to be." :twisted:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:42 pm

paul w wrote:looks like they're pretty small for a chain, with locations in only a few states. indiana and kentucky maybe?

I'm sure they wouldn't mind this extended quote being taken from their Website:

So, you ask... what's the deal with the "Smiling Teeth?"

We feel that when you eat at one of our restaurants, each of your teeth should individually be happier than they have ever been before.

Your over-worked, over-taxed, under-appreciated teeth deserve their own little smile. And, indeed, you shall have it here.

That is our mission statement, our credo if you will.
YES! THAT IS OUR CREDO!!

Puccini's opened its first Smiling Teeth restaurant in March of 1991. The Smiling Teeth menu specializes in innovative pizza, pasta dishes and salads of the highest quality, prepared fresh every single day. The Smiling Teeth menu has also expanded over the years to include Italian chicken dinners, calzones, sandwiches and low-carb meals.

The atmosphere is casual, yet stylish. Families, dates and seniors feel equally comfortable. The restaurant is considered to be a value, providing quality at a reasonable price.

In its second full week of operation, Puccini's was reviewed by the Indianapolis Star newspaper and received the Stars' highest possible rating. In August of that first year, the Star listed Puccini's Smiling Teeth as one of the ten "Hottest Restaurants in Indianapolis".

Recognition grew with highly favorable ratings and reviews from print, radio and television. Indianapolis Monthly listed Puccini's Smiling Teeth as being in the top five in all of metro Indianapolis in the following categories: pizza, pasta, salad, service and carryout. They also rated Puccini's as having the very best house salad in Indianapolis. Bucceto's, the Smiling Teeth restaurants in Bloomington, Indiana, was recently voted "Best Restaurant" by the Indiana Daily Student newspaper as well as the Bloomington Convention & Visitors Bureau.

In the years since, Smiling Teeth restaurants have grown in number to ten locations throughout the midwest: Six stores in Indianapolis, one in West Lafayette, Indiana, one in Lexington, Kentucky, and two sister stores (Bucceto's) in Bloomington, Indiana. The eleventh location will soon open in Louisville, Kentucky.
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

Re: Worst possible name for eatery?

by Steve Magruder » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:46 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Mike Hardin wrote:In the PNC tower, there was a bagel place called the Bagel Box Deli. I guess they went out of business or sold it to someone else but there is a replacement now - the Cat Box Deli. That's not an image I want when I want to eat. Yikes.

HAHAHAAAA! I've always wondered why people just don't <i>think</i>.

It wasn't an eatery, but there used to be a gift shop at the airport, apparently run by women named Charlene and Nell. They combined their names as the store's moniker, and proudly hoisted a big sign that read <B>Charnel of Louisville</B>.

Well, given that the somewhat educated me had to look up that word, it's probably safe enough for the masses.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:49 pm

How about "Thai Smile 5" and all the various Asian eateries that use numbers in their name? That always gives me giggles.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:20 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
paul w wrote:hmm the name of the shopping center escapes me. it's the one with Borders, Wild Oats, Feeder Supply, ect, ect, and it looks to be going in right up front...i think there used to be a Payless Shoes in the spot.

Okay, that describes it perfectly! Used to be Shelbyville Road Plaza, maybe it still is, but it's undergone a complete makeover in recent years, and for all I know, they renamed it.

Anyway, it's "The Place Where Hawley-Cooke Booksellers used to be." :twisted:

The shopping center whose sign catches on fire at least once a year...
Next