Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

Re: What food-related gifts did you score?

by MarieP » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:00 pm

Leah s wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:
Leah s wrote:MarieP may be the Forum's BFF for this weekend . . . yum.

In all fairness, I would not dock a restaurant a single point in a review rating for something like that. I might make gentle fun of it, but it's trivial compared with food, mood and service.

Robin, what on earth are you referencing? I was pointing out that MarieP got a load of chocolate goodies and I'd be happy to help her eat it.

LOL! Yeah, Robin ;-) I am not a restaurant! I serve all my food for free! Er....maybe I shouldn't have said that...
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:29 pm

I'm pretty sure Robin posted on this thread when he thought he was posting on the Gilman's Pointe thread (see his response there about the cute names for their sandwiches) :wink:
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:50 pm

Leah s wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:
Leah s wrote:MarieP may be the Forum's BFF for this weekend . . . yum.

In all fairness, I would not dock a restaurant a single point in a review rating for something like that. I might make gentle fun of it, but it's trivial compared with food, mood and service.

Robin, what on earth are you referencing? I was pointing out that MarieP got a load of chocolate goodies and I'd be happy to help her eat it.

I was a little more than confused myself... :?
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:57 pm

Leah s wrote:Jeez, Gary. When do you want me to come over and teach you how to make biscuits?

I'm actually teaching a biscuit class at Campbell's next year. :) So, you're not alone.

Thanks for the offer. When is your class? I'll be the first to sign up.
no avatar
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:50 am

We may have received the "most unusual" food-related gift (at least it was totally new to me)!!! It is a Salt Plate from Dean & Deluca. From the brochure, " Mined from ancient salt deposits buried beneath the Himalayas for millions of years, these natural salt plates are perfect for serving sushi, salads and appetizers (chilled), or (heated on a burner) for cooking thinly sliced Wagyu beef or seafood right at the table." It is very pretty, in rosy beige tones, and supposedly imparts an enhanced salt and mineral flavoring that is very tasty. I suspect that we will use it as a decoration or as a trivet!!! Anyone had any experience with one of these???

Also, received Frank Stitt's (of the Highlands Bar & Grille and Bottega Restaurant and Cafe in Birminham, AL) new cookbook," Bottega Favorita". I never been to either restaurant, but after reading the book cover to cover on a 7 hour trip back from Alabama, I can't wait to try them.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:59 am

Carol C wrote:We may have received the "most unusual" food-related gift (at least it was totally new to me)!!! It is a Salt Plate from Dean & Deluca. From the brochure, " Mined from ancient salt deposits buried beneath the Himalayas for millions of years, these natural salt plates are perfect for serving sushi, salads and appetizers (chilled), or (heated on a burner) for cooking thinly sliced Wagyu beef or seafood right at the table." It is very pretty, in rosy beige tones, and supposedly imparts an enhanced salt and mineral flavoring that is very tasty. I suspect that we will use it as a decoration or as a trivet!!! Anyone had any experience with one of these???

check this out: Ideas In Food: Cooking with Salt

I've been wanting to play around with one for a long time... Lucky you!

Please don't use it to decorate... read the post above and start cooking with that bad boy!

For anyone else interested in picking one up to play with...
A quick google search yielded this:
The Meadow: Himalayan Salt Blocks, Salt Plates, Salt Slabs & Salt Bricks

They seem to have a much larger variety than Dean and Deluca and quite competitive prices, since you can always start smaller.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:46 pm

A mandolin, and more Godiva Chocolate than I can shake a stick at....
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:58 pm

Jay M. wrote: Pappy Van Winkle 23-yr (somebody loves me)

Somebody definitely loves you! That's $200+ of the most perfect bourbon ever crafted (IMHO). I'm salivating.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
Previous