Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

Tony Packos pickles

by Leah S » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:42 am

Rebecca's entry into the pizza/chili/religious thread reminded me of some of the best pickles! Anyone around here carry Tony Packos Hot pickles? A guest brought me a jar once and I haven't seen them in Louisville, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.
User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Elizabethtown + Prospect

MEIJERS

by Casey J. » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:57 am

I think meijers carries them. Great flavor !!!
User

RebeccaWebb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:54 am

Lexington, KY

by RebeccaWebb » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:10 am

I see them now and then but couldn't tell you if it was Wal-Mart (gasp) or Kroger. I know they have a web-site and you can order them on-line.

I have relatives in the Toledo area that could pick up some jars and bring down in June if anyone is interested.

Thanks!
Rebecca Phillips Webb
User

RebeccaWebb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lexington, KY

by RebeccaWebb » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:18 am

I went to the web site and they actually have a "Pickle Finder." In Kentucky, here are the spots they list ...

Meijer's
Newsom's Old Mill Store Princeton
Valu Market Louisville
Party Source Bellevue, Louisville, Florence
Liquor Outlet Louisville (2 Locations)
Whaler's Catch Restaurant Paducah
Honey Baked Ham Louisville, Lexington, Florence,
The Fresh Market Louisville

the web site is http://www.tonypackos.com/index.html
Rebecca Phillips Webb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:20 am

rebeccawebb wrote:Party Source Bellevue, Louisville, Florence
Liquor Outlet Louisville (2 Locations)

A word of caution: Party Source/Liquor Outlet sold all its Louisville properties to Liquor Barn at least five years ago, so this list may be obsolete.
User

RebeccaWebb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lexington, KY

by RebeccaWebb » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:26 am

Robin -- COme to think of it, I have seen the pickles in the Liquor Barn here in Lexington.
Rebecca Phillips Webb
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:47 am

Road trip!!!

I gotta get me some pickles.

And just for the record I am not preggers.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:30 pm

Hey Leah! You got a friend who works at Fresh Market!! Let me know and i'll have Rich pick some up for you.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Melissa Richards-Person

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:05 pm

The 'burbs of the Ville

LOVE Packos!

by Melissa Richards-Person » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:39 pm

Hey there!

They are available at both Meijers and Krogers, but my hubby and I are born and bred Toledoans, and I think I'm STILL tasting the chili dog I had when we were home at Christmas.

Packos actually makes a bunch of food products, many of which are NOT available here - but we load up the car everytime we head up to visit the family. The Sweet-Hot Brittany Tomatoes are fantastic (yep, pickled tomatoes, gotta love 'em), so is the hungarian salsa (I know it sounds weird, but trust me, it's tasty), and the sweet-hot ketchup (a theme here) - plus they have pickled banana peppers and assorted other goodies. Their famous chili sauce will be "around" for at least a day after you eat it (but you'll love it all the same) - and don't ever spill any on your clothes...you will NEVER get it off! They also sell their hotdogs - and we have a pack or two in our freezer.

In fact, we will be headed up to Toledo in a couple weeks, how 'bout a forum offline Packo Dogs & Peppers cookout? We'll bring the goodies back with us and someone can supply the grill. Maybe Roger or David will supply the beer?
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:22 pm

I came across some Sweet Pickles from Mt. Olive Brand that are sweetened with Spleda....They taste just like the ones with sugar...but have no calaries and no carbs.....a diet lovers dream...taste a little like candy when you eat it...It takes care of the sweet fix.... :D :D :D :D
User

RebeccaWebb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lexington, KY

Re: LOVE Packos!

by RebeccaWebb » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:45 pm

Melissa Richards wrote:We'll bring the goodies back with us and someone can supply the grill

Melissa -- the off-line sounds great!!! Are you from Toledo or "around" Toledo? I grew up in front of the Toledo Express Airport.

A note about the hotdogs ... the original ones are not grilled. They steam them in tomato soup (good ole Campbell's). Also, it is a must to steam the buns and the sauce needs to be stirred frequently (sad as it sounds, a lot of the flavor is in the grease, so it is important to mix it thoroughly).

All this talk really has me craving a good dog and some chili. I also LOVE the stuffed cabbage. Gosh ... I could even find my old Packo apron and uniform shirt I bet!!! lol! :D
Rebecca Phillips Webb
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: Tony Packos pickles

by Doogy R » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:59 pm

Leah s wrote:Rebecca's entry into the pizza/chili/religious thread reminded me of some of the best pickles! Anyone around here carry Tony Packos Hot pickles? A guest brought me a jar once and I haven't seen them in Louisville, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

OMG, I love a hot pickle. Thanks for starting the topic. I am drooling as I finish this post. :D
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:08 am

I am assuming you are talking about pickle spears here, but if you want some really spicy pickle slices - check out Morris Deli on Taylorsville near Bardstown! I've only had their slices but MAN they are good and spicy!

They make them themselves I believe!
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

Pop's Pepper Patch

by Amy Hoover » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:43 am

Not to take any props away from Tony Packo's, but the habagardil (habanero, garlic, dill) pickles from Pop's Pepper Patch are addictive. If you've ever had a pickle at lunch at Primo, you've tasted them. They are a local company and the best spicy pickle I've ever eaten.
User

Melissa Richards-Person

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:05 pm

The 'burbs of the Ville

Rebecca is soooo right!

by Melissa Richards-Person » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:12 pm

:oops:

Of COURSE Rebecca is right! Packo's does NOT GRILL. I just sacreligiously do so here in KY :-) Of course, I also now break the rules by buying the skinless version, when only the ones with the "snap" are served at the restaurant. They also only serve half a dog normally, you only get a whole link when you order a "Double Dog" - or you can get two links on a foot long bun if you order a MOAD - the Mother Of All Dogs. (Heartburn for a MONTH - I call it!)

I would LOVE to see Rebecca in her apron and uniform shirt...this offline is sounding better and better! But I only hear the two of us up for it!

Robin - no Packo dogs, chili sauce and pickles for you? Doogy?

And yes, Rebecca - born at Toledo Hospital, grew up in South Toledo on the edge of Copeland Park, graduated from Bowsher HS and my mom actually went to HS with Jamie Farr (you don't get much more Toledo than that :)
Next