Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Anybody planning Vietnam Kitchen on Christmas?

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:58 pm

It's an old tradition among local foodies who don't have family or other obligations on the holiday, and while I'd stop short of trying to organize a formal offline, I figure Mary and I will wander out to the South End around 1 or 2 p.m., maybe. If anybody else has similar plans, let us know, and maybe we can casually coordinate a get-together. Last year we ran into Leah and Gordon and their family and joined them for a good time. We also met Peng Looi, going in as we were coming out. As I said, Vietnam Kitchen is a foodie paradise (and one of the few places open) on Christmas.
no avatar
User

Tina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Highlands

Re: Anybody planning Vietnam Kitchen on Christmas?

by Tina M » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:29 pm

We'll be there tomorrow around 3pm, but not on Christmas day. There's also not an adundance of open restaurants on Christmas Eve - not that I really need an excuse to eat there, lol.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:34 am

Our little family is already planning on VK for Christmas lunch! The adult children remember it fondly from last year.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:41 pm

Had my ethnic XMAS experience last night at Red Pepper with the gf. Tonight it will be my mom's beef brisket (a once-a-year affair) and the traditional ham and sides tomorrow. As much as I like both of those meals, VK does seem like a damn tasty option.

Although I think it has been made clear on the forum already, Red Pepper is open today and tomorrow (XMAS). We actually were planning on VK last night, but ended up in the East End, so we went for RP instead. Nice first experience there.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:56 pm

oooo . . .I'm hearing the DanDan noodles calling my name. Why doens't that come in an entree portion?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:12 pm

Leah s wrote:oooo . . .I'm hearing the DanDan noodles calling my name. Why doens't that come in an entree portion?

Just order two DanDan noodles, one plate! :D
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:55 pm

An order of DanDan Noodles and Unique Chicken Smell and I'm set.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:14 pm

My goodness they were slammed today! I felt so bad for the server I tipped her extra,lol. I had the seafood combo on the specials page...is this just the hardest decision EVER? I wish they would do a tasting night where you could sample small plates..
Anyway, mine was absolutely delicious. My daughter had Kung Pao chicken cause she's been away at college and missed it. Took an order of soup home and total was $26. Incredible. I wish they'd open a satellite store in St Matthews! Very fun way to spend XMas afternoon and will hopefully repeat often.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:10 pm

In our little family there were 3 votes for Red Pepper and 1 vote for VK. So, off to Red Pepper we went. And I did get a double order of DanDan Noodles. And brought a lot home. DanDan = YumYum.
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:11 am

Roommate and I decided to hit the 8 China Buffet on Hurstbourne for lunch yesterday......it was very good, very crowded, and a bit pricy, but they had Lobster, Crab legs, and all kinds of seafood on the buffet. Very much enjoyed it.......
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:20 pm

Our party of 4 hit VK circa 1:20 p.m., and it was packed. Two previously uninitiated New Albanians were with us. We snagged the last unoccupied table and waved at Robin & bride across the way. All was quite good, and I had pork/shrimp potstickers with BBC Nut Brown, followed by seafood pho with Redhook IPA -- great pairings. VK on X-mas day is our prime holiday tradition, and may they survive for many years to come.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:43 pm

I guess we got there too late, about 1:45 - it was still packed, but no one from LHB to be found. We waited 30 minutes for a table, partly because some latecomers snatched the first one cleared before we could get to it and because a rather intoxicated fellow was sitting at a 4 top talking loudly on his phone and swilling Bud Lites (no food). The gentleman in charge gave us a small discount for our wait and got the intoxicated fellow out the door to a round of applause. We had a table full of appetizers to share. Wonderful as usual. Went home and cooked a standing rib roast, cheddar bacon potatoes, asparagus with hollandaise, Brussel sprouts, sautéed baby bellas, and a red velvet cake for dessert. We ate very late……..
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"