Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

Re: How many have gone to culinary school?

by Stephen D » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Chris Atchley wrote:
Stephen D wrote:The CIA offers a flexible program called 'prochef.' It might just be the route for you, check it out.

Also, try your best to learn from a chef, not a KM. It makes all the difference.

The prochef program looks interesting. Do you have any experience with it? How does it work?

From what I understand, it is a mentor-designed curriculum that working cooks can pursue ending in a degree. If you have enough experience in sautee, garde manger or what not, you test out of these disciplines. Your time is spent studying the things that you do not know. Now, this wouldn't be the kind of training that you could jump right into green. You would have to gain some real world experience first and then work at it.

It is worth looking into, if you would like a balance of real world vs classroom training.

I do agree, the corporate world is very good at running numbers, but they are also making soup from a bag. I feel one would be hard-pressed to find a KM that could illustrate the difference between mirpoix and brunoise. Conversely, I'm sure there is one out there, but I simply haven't met one in 20 years...
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:55 pm

Matthew D wrote:From my perspective (a smidge of background in academic admissions) the purpose of the financial aid officer is to tell you how you can afford a particular education not if you can afford that education. Financial aid very much operates on the "sign now, consider the consequences later" perspective.

Or in some cases, "how" you can avoid having to start paying it back. "Just take one class a semester and it can be deferred, practically indefinitely!" I guess they must work on commission, like a used car salesman, eh, Matthew?
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Reagan H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:52 am

Keepin on the Sunny Side, Always on the Sunny Side

by Reagan H » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:04 pm

From everything that has been said, I also think a distinction must be made re: the teachers and the school itself. (Sidenote: The pastry side is a technical experience that, like Marsha said, you can't expect to get proper training in a busy kitchen, and is worth your educational investment.) Still, the chefs on both sides of the street both attempt to bring the same focus to their students.

Yes, there are varying degrees of real-world experience among them, but keeping with the real-world theme, enough chefs I experienced still remember their love for food, and, just like at any other school, if you seek out those that are good, you can benefit from their knowledge.

I don't want to put words in Leah's or Marsha's mouths, but I have a sneaky suspicion that many of the chefs who taught us are why we older, and wiser, and in debt(ed), grads still speak fondly of our experience while fully aware that we are looking through rose-coloured glasses. Just wanted to throw that in...
Last edited by Reagan H on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Ryana D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 29, 2007 3:34 pm

by Ryana D » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:30 pm

I want to Sullivan. I dont regret it. I did as Marsha, all A's, never missed a day encluding 'plus Fridays', on the team and all that, but I did get pastry also. I feel you get out what you put in it. I learned a lot, but there was a lot more I learned working in the kitchen. If you put forth the effort, the chefs will teach you, and not just the basics. I was able to get a good paying job while I was still in school and pay for a lot of it while I was finishing. I think the best thing I can tell you is that costly piece of paper does not make you a chef. I slogan I likw is, "you are an educated dishwasher, you still have you work your way up." Next is know what you learned, relize that you learned it. I find that if I relize I learned something I am a lot more likely to use it. Dont just pass the test, really learn it, and if you dont get it that is what 'plus Fridays are for. A perk that I had is I was single and didnt really know anyone in Louisville when I started, so I spent all my time at school. I went durning the day, and TA on nights and weekends, I learned alot being a TA it made me go back over everything. Being on the team was another perk, I was able to order whatever I needed to 'practice' on, this is were I got good at meat/fish cutting. Breaking down a case of chickens every wk for a month you really learn how and get fast. So I would say, if you go (and can afford it, meaning money and time) really do it, go early, stay late, try-out for team, so on.

Another Idea: is go to places in town and work for free. Times are tough they will let you. Go to Bluefin to learn fish, a meat market to learn meats, Creation to learn product, and different restaurts for their speciality. The independent places are more likly to let you do this, in this since Louisville has alot ot offer. Yea you are not getting paid but you are not going into debt. Make you own 18month program. Spend a month at each place, so they know you are real. I did alittle of this as well, in the aeras I wanted to know more. Let me know it you want to contact places to see if they will let you, I can give you names and numbers of places I know will let you.
'The day we quite learning is the day we might as well be dead.'
User

Alan Schaefer

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:18 pm

by Alan Schaefer » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:30 am

Hey Chris,
Do you remember me, Its Alan, I was the A.M. Kitchen manager there when it opened. I went to Sullivan and graduated summa cum laude. That sounds great, but you already have practical experience which will help quite a bit. I had practical experience as well and I think it has helped me. I am in it for 30k, due to credits that transferred from a previous management degree, but it's more about the love than the money. It's like a sickness, a love that goes deeper than reason sometimes. I don't make a lot of money either, but I love the art of food, and cooking so much that the rest doesn't matter. I remember how much you liked to cook, and even experimented with recipes on your off time. So I know you have the passion (sickness) for food. There is nothing greater than cooking things and creating experiences for others to enjoy. I really miss the Bristol, and I really miss the rush, the line, and buffet planning. I know you will do well in school. You can also move up without school, but they really teach you so much more than just how to cook. The science of cooking will help you have an understanding that gives you the freedom to be more creative and flexible with food. Sorry for the long winded writing, but this is truly my passion, and I just can't say enough about the rewards of cooking. (except the cash)
"The more one learns the more one sees the need to learn more and that study,as well as broadening the mind of the craftsman, provides an easy way of perfecting himself in the practice of our art." Auguste Escoffier
User

Mike M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:45 am

Jeffersonville

by Mike M » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:30 am

Hey Chris here is my two cents, I got a two year degree from Johnson and Wales in 1997, and I had worked in the business since 93, and by 99 I was burnt out and what did it was working for a chain as they paid the most...big mistake.
Since 99 I have only done temp/part time in the business, and needless to say I cook at home..Anyways I'm rambling but here a few things I have learned.

1-Culinary schools are a business first of all, and exist to make $$
2-The most important thing I learned in school was "mise en plase" everything in it's place..you gotta me prepared and organized!
3-learned more in three months from a good chef, than in my 2 years at JW
4-love it..don't like it or kinda love it, or think you'll love it..[b]MAKE SURE[/b]
5-don't expect the degree to be a free pass, actual experience means more to most.

hope this helps
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:37 am

CIA has a Career Discovery program
http://ce.culinary.edu/ciachef/CourseLi ... ubtitle=00

Pro Chef is for those who are already in the industry.... a continuing education program.

I have gone to many of the "Boot Camps", it is an intensive week long program that follows the same course work as the current student body. I highly recommend it. http://ce.culinary.edu/ciachef/Heading. ... ing_id=560

However, if you are serious... go the Career discovery route and then pick a school.
Depending what type of motivation you have, passion, drive, and some networking skills, than I think the School route is good for a start .
My son is currently at Johnson and Wales in Charlotte, and he is shooting for the long term.
I believe that the degree helps a lot, but it depends on the person behind it too.
Previous