Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Varanese

no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

Varanese

by Kris Billiter » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:49 am

Just wanted to say thanks to the crew at Varanese for an excellent dinner last night. It was our anniversary, and someone who knows how much i like local food gave us a giftcard there so we went to check it out. It was amazing! We started off with an app of taboulleh, sun-dried tomato hummus, and feta cheese queso. The hummus was great, my wife said the tabbouleh was wonderful (not my thing), but the star was the queso. I have never had anything like it. Looked like some red and green peppers, pine nuts, and I'm not sure what else. I don't care what else. It was fabulous! I was expecting a stronger feta flavor, but it wasn't, and that was a good thing. I loved this!
My wife had the pecan encrusted mahi mahi with whipped sweet potatoes, and she raved about it. She was served a huge piece of fish that was cooked perfectly. My wife is a big fan of sweet potatoes, and said these were great. I went with the prime rib, though I was tempted to try the turduken. The steak was really good, if just a bit overcooked in a few places, but nothing criminal. I am a steak guy. It's my favorite thing to eat, but it wasn't the steak that was my favorite part of my meal. It was the risotto. Quite possibly the best side I have ever had. THis was my first experience with risotto, and I regret that now. This was...just so good. It was a mushroom and parmesan infused risotto, that had such a great flavor and texture. It was creamy but not gummy, and had this earthy taste that was just fantastic. I wanted more...lots more. I have no idea what mushrooms were used because they were chopped super fine in the dish. So good! We ended with a mocha creme brulee which was probably the biggest I have ever seen. Very creatively served in a a large coffee mug with a with a side of whipped cream and a strawberry nestled on top. The plate was swirled with a nice amount of chocolate sauce which was both pretty and tasty.
It was a great night and a great meal. Service was great without being overbearing, and the chef (de cuisine? Varanese was not there himself) came by a couple of times to check on us. What a great place for our city. THe live jazz was a great touch as well. We will be back as so many of items on the menu looked so good. Great job guys and thanks for a great anniversary dinner!
Kris
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Varanese

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:07 am

We were there a few weeks back, and the Mushroom-risotto came w/ my Prime Rib.

I share your sentiments, as i thought it was the highlight of the meal, and the BEST risotto I've ever had. It's unreal.
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:18 am

We're dining there for the first time on Christmas Eve. Your review just got me even more excited!
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:34 am

Kris,

Happy anniversary!

With little kids i know you probably don't get out much ( we don't either) and risotto is inexpensive to make at home. Risotto is not difficult at all to make - it has a repution for being demanding, but it just needs tending while cooking. I know you cook, so If you're interested, I'd be happy to send some of my favorite recipes. Just PM me.

Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:01 pm

Happy anniversary, Kris!

Varanese has definitely found its niche, and I HOPE, a recession-proof following. We were in recently and had an excellent time, focusing on the turducken special but enjoying everything we tried.