Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

If You Have the Means, Please Go Out

by Eliza W » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:36 pm

I went to two of my favorite local spots recently. These are both places which, a few months ago, had half hour to an hour waits at peak times. At one restaurant, two tables other than ours were there, and by the time we left, there were only four tables. At another, one other table was occupied the entire time we were there, and just a couple of people got take-out. I won't name the restaurants because a suggestion that they aren't doing well isn't likely to help them, and it might hurt.

My experiences might just be flukes, but I am scared for these two locally owned businesses. If you have the means, I urge you to frequent your local businesses (and tip generously!). I'm not a Republican, and I don't think that spending is patriotic, but in these times, I do think that spending can help our local businesses and their employees. And, of course, what a great way to help yourself to some great local restaurants.

That's it. Sorry if it sounds like a lecture, but I'm worried for my adopted city.
no avatar
User

ricky w

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: If You Have the Means, Please Go Out

by ricky w » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:38 pm

I agree with you 100 percent....I have noticed especially in the holiday season a drop off in customers being out. It seems some local places are relying on weekends now since the during the week crowd have slowed. If you can afford to go out please do.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:22 pm

Great advice! I've been seeing pretty good crowds along Bardstown and Frankfort and in St. Matthews, but the economy is not getting better for a while. If we lose a lot of our beloved indies, we may never get them back. As far as Mary and I are concerned, dining out will be one of the last things we'll give up if things get really rough.
no avatar
User

Andrew Hutto

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:38 pm

by Andrew Hutto » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:25 pm

just an example of the craziness in our business. we were super busy tues, weds, thurs, last week... any gains from those three days were quickly erased by subpar friday and saturday nights... at this time of year, people have holiday parties to go to on fri & sat,
so those nights tend to be slower. argh!
happy holidays.
andrew
no avatar
User

StevenKluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:11 pm

Patoka Lake (Dubois County, Indiana)

by StevenKluesner » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:23 pm

Not sure why the fact that you are not a Republican or a Patriot is important but spending money in your local economy is a good idea no matter who you are. It is good for you, as a citizen of the local economy to spend locally.

To stray a bit from the topic but I am not sure why so many people want to label our problems a Republican or Democrat based problem. It is an American problem. The American public has caused most of our problems and we let the politicians try to fix our problems. We are a greedy society and until that changes we will not move forward as a society. I just hate to see all problems being blamed on a faulty political system, can you really tell a democrat from a republican anymore.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:41 pm

StevenKluesner wrote:Not sure why the fact that you are not a Republican or a Patriot is important but spending money in your local economy is a good idea no matter who you are. It is good for you, as a citizen of the local economy to spend locally.

To stray a bit from the topic but I am not sure why so many people want to label our problems a Republican or Democrat based problem. It is an American problem. The American public has caused most of our problems and we let the politicians try to fix our problems. We are a greedy society and until that changes we will not move forward as a society. I just hate to see all problems being blamed on a faulty political system, can you really tell a democrat from a republican anymore.

Amen brother.