Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Over rated and under rated

no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

Re: Over rated and under rated

by Michelle R. » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:14 am

carla griffin wrote:WAYYYY over rated and overpriced.... The Melting Pot.
Not sure I would say it is under rated but not talked about a great deal is The Come Back Inn.

What, paying $75 a person to cook your own food is overpriced and overrated? :lol:

I LOVE Comeback Inn. Yum. Sounds good, actually!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:02 pm

carla griffin wrote:WAYYYY over rated and overpriced.... The Melting Pot.

Ugg. I just went there last Friday for the first time for my wife's friend's birthday, and it pains me to remember the experience. The food was just not good. The cheese fondue wasn't terrible, and the dessert fondue was okay, but everything else was not so good. If it were less $$$, I wouldn't care, but for what I paid there (including 2 drinks each), we could easily have done Corbett's or 610 Magnolia with wine. I almost cried spending that much at MP because I know the wonderful food I could have had elsewhere at the same or less cost. We both also woke up in the morning with icky feeling stomachs, and it wasn't from the booze.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

S Cruz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:42 pm

401 East Main St. @ Slugger Field

by S Cruz » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:11 pm

not sure where it would fall in the over rated/under rated continuum..... but i always rate 'el mundo' ,on frankfort ave, up there. especially in the summer. i think its one of the best in the city.
Eat, Drink, and Be Merry.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:12 pm

I have a lovely cheese fondue recipe I got from Good Eats that I love. I'll save my fondue money, and spend it at a worthy establishment. Such as Corbett's. Or Jeff Ruby's.
:lol:

Alton Brown's Cheese Fondue (omg so good!)
Ingredients

* 1 clove garlic, halved
* 1 (12-ounce) bottle hard apple cider
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon brandy
* Pinch kosher salt
* 5 ounces (2 cups) Gruyere, grated
* 5 ounces (2 cups) Smoked Gouda, rind removed, grated
* 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
* 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
* Several grinds fresh ground black pepper

Directions

Rub inside of fondue pot or heavy small saucepan with garlic. Pour cider into pot. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, the brandy and salt and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Meanwhile, grate the cheese and toss well with the cornstarch in a large bowl. When the cider just begins to simmer, gradually add the cheese a handful at a time, allowing each addition to melt completely before adding the next. Continue adding cheese and stirring until all cheese is incorporated, about 3 minutes. If mixture starts to bubble, reduce heat to low. The mixture is ready when creamy and easily coats the back of a spoon. Stir in curry powder and pepper. If cheese seems stringy, add some or all of the remaining lemon juice. Move fondue pot to alcohol warmer, and keep stirring during service. A variety of breads, from pumpernickel to rye to bagel chunks can be skewered and dipped as can cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms and potatoes. (Soften all vegetables by blanching briefly in boiling water then chilling.) Crisp fruits such as apples make great fondue fodder, as do cooked meats and sausages. Even soft pretzels make for good dipping. If any fondue is left over, cover with ice water and refrigerate, pour off water and reheat over low heat.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:40 pm

Thanks, Michelle. Good Eats is by far my favorite Food TV show, and I've seen that episode (possibly every episode, for that matter. . .), but haven't tried to make the fondue.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:37 pm

A very subjective topic, to say the least...but can't resist a minor contribution....

Overrated (albeit good): Wick's Pizza...Pat's Steakhouse (overpriced, if not overrated)...Mai's Thai (the C-J wrote a rave review about this place a few years ago, but I found it so-so, at best; are they still around?)

Underrated: Come Back Inn (Chicken Alfredo--YEAH!)...Arbor Ridge Vine & Grille (Crestwood)...Tea Chinese Bistro (Norton Commons)...Stoney River Steaks (yeah, it's a chain; but great steaks and better price-value than Pat's)
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:03 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:Thanks, Michelle. Good Eats is by far my favorite Food TV show, and I've seen that episode (possibly every episode, for that matter. . .), but haven't tried to make the fondue.

You MUST try it! It is so, so good! Might just whip some up on NYE to go with my standing rib roast and shrimp!
no avatar
User

Sherry Deatrick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:01 pm

by Sherry Deatrick » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:50 pm

I don't know how The Patron is "rated" by most people, but I love it! Just had a pleasant experience there last night -- sat at the bar and ate lobster risotto and then had the dessert special, chocolate cream pie...both were delightful! And our bartender/server (the wonderful multi-talented professional actor and firefighter, Lee Look) made us feel like royalty! Although the risotto is listed as an app, it was filling enough to satisfy for dinner, and left me room to eat half of the pie.

I've never been disappointed by The Patron! it's a real haven. Last night they had just started serving a new type of bleu cheese and it was the best I've had in my life...can't remember the name of it.

Over-rated: I agree on the Wick's assessment. But then, my favorite pizza is Arni's, so what do I know? I would add Mark's Feed Store to the over-rated list. It won "best ribs" in LEO. I guess the ribs are OK even though gloppy, but I wouldn't call them "the best" in town. It used to be good, but then, it used to be one of the few places you could get BBQ. If you want great BBQ, go to Jucy's in Pewee Valley. I agree that Lynn's is overrated (and overpriced), although it's a fun place to take guests. Much better breakfast is available at Wild Eggs and/or Toast. I think Sapporo's is over-rated as well, but mainly because the atmosphere is not conducive to digestion. The night i ate there, loud disco music played, and I didn't enjoy the food at all, even though it had been highly recommeded to me as the "best" sushi in town. I just don't like loud noises in a restaurant. I much prefer the sushi at Caviar or my new fave, Hiko-a-mon. I think Mazzoni's was overrated after it moved to Middletown. I had lunch there and the oyster stew was not so great, so I'm not mourning its passing.

I miss The Luau Room at the old airport....(just kidding). But I do wish Louisville still had a Tiki restaurant.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:35 pm

Sherry Deatrick wrote:I don't know how The Patron is "rated" by most people, but I love it! Just had a pleasant experience there last night -- sat at the bar and ate lobster risotto and then had the dessert special, chocolate cream pie...both were delightful! And our bartender/server (the wonderful multi-talented professional actor and firefighter, Lee Look) made us feel like royalty! Although the risotto is listed as an app, it was filling enough to satisfy for dinner, and left me room to eat half of the pie.

I've never been disappointed by The Patron! it's a real haven. Last night they had just started serving a new type of bleu cheese and it was the best I've had in my life...can't remember the name of it.

Over-rated: I agree on the Wick's assessment. But then, my favorite pizza is Arni's, so what do I know? I would add Mark's Feed Store to the over-rated list. It won "best ribs" in LEO. I guess the ribs are OK even though gloppy, but I wouldn't call them "the best" in town. It used to be good, but then, it used to be one of the few places you could get BBQ. If you want great BBQ, go to Jucy's in Pewee Valley. I agree that Lynn's is overrated (and overpriced), although it's a fun place to take guests. Much better breakfast is available at Wild Eggs and/or Toast. I think Sapporo's is over-rated as well, but mainly because the atmosphere is not conducive to digestion. The night i ate there, loud disco music played, and I didn't enjoy the food at all, even though it had been highly recommeded to me as the "best" sushi in town. I just don't like loud noises in a restaurant. I much prefer the sushi at Caviar or my new fave, Hiko-a-mon. I think Mazzoni's was overrated after it moved to Middletown. I had lunch there and the oyster stew was not so great, so I'm not mourning its passing.

I miss The Luau Room at the old airport....(just kidding). But I do wish Louisville still had a Tiki restaurant.

Great Post....I think I agree with just about everything you said. I don't think The Patron is as much under-rated as over-looked. We eat there quite a bit and the food is always good and the service personable and attentive.

I used to take dates to The Luau Room to get drinks with umbrellas. yikes

In terms of sushi...we are regulars at Tokyo but Hiko-a-mon is our second go-to sushi place.
no avatar
User

Sherry Deatrick

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Sherry Deatrick » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:11 am

Mark,
Where is Tokyo? I'm not familiar with that. And I used to love to go to the Luau Room to get umbrella drinks...perhaps I was one of your dates? lol
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:46 am

Tokyo is a small family run sushi bar on Lime Kiln Lane.

They had a drink at the Luau Room that was electric blue...a Blue Hawaii?
no avatar
User

Jesse Hendrix-Inman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 16, 2008 11:22 am

Schnitzelburg

by Jesse Hendrix-Inman » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:22 am

I think Cafe Amici is pretty under-rated...I never hear much about it but I love the atmosphere and the veggie lasagna.
no avatar
User

Sherry Deatrick

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Sherry Deatrick » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:50 pm

Mark Head wrote:They had a drink at the Luau Room that was electric blue...a Blue Hawaii?

Oh yeah, I remember that! I love blue drinks, blue icees, any blue food!! Yum

I'm sure you can still get a Blue Hawaii somewhere!! I want a Tiki restaurant for Xmas!!
no avatar
User

Jeremy Markle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:58 pm

In my car

by Jeremy Markle » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:14 am

My wife dragged me to the mall recently (screaming and kicking, mind you), and while there we discovered Yang Kee Noodle. I was shocked at how good the Pad Thai and spring rolls were! As a new resident of Louisville, I don't really know enough to say if it is under rated, but I would have never guessed I could get such good food at a mall! I guess anything's possible.
Check out the new http://www.kentuckyale.com
no avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:43 pm

PreviousNext