Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Over rated and under rated

no avatar
User

Nancy Cain

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:50 pm

Over rated and under rated

by Nancy Cain » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:32 pm

I went to Wicks pizza last week. Since it was best of Louisville, we thought we should check it out. Big mistake. The pizza was burn alittle and it was exspensive. So I thought I would ask people what places they thought was over rated and the places that are under rated to them. To me Wicks pizza is really over rated. The places I think are under rated are my two favorite places, Chicago Gyros and a bbq place called Jimbo's by the park. Almost forgot, the China house (i think thats the name on Shelbyville rd)
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Over rated and under rated

by Mark R. » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:56 pm

There are several restaurants I feel fall in the overrated category. In my opinion Pat's steakhouse is on the top of that list. I actually feel like Lynn's also falls in that category, the food is OK and it's a fun place to take visitors but other than that..... Of course I also feel many of the chains fall that category especially Cheesecake Factory and PF Changs.

As for underrated (for at least under recognized) I'd put Limestone and Captains Quarters at the top of the list although there are others. Fortunately for Louisville most of the independence are very good and highly rated even though some are under recognized.

PS: I don't think Wick's is overrated if you buy the Big Wick or a Calzone but I do agree it is for most everything else.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:08 pm

annemarie m wrote:overated in my book- lotsa pasta, when i first moved here from new york city. everyone said lotsa pasta. nothing special in my opinion. sooooo overrated...

Funny, we moved back to Louisville from Queens and I said thank the good Lord Almighty for Lotsa Pasta.

No, it's not a New York Italian deli. But it's the best we've got, and that's mighty good, and I've spent a lot of dollars there over their 25 years as one of Louiville's favorites. Overrated? I don't THINK so.

Wick's, however, I've always said makes great pizza for teen-agers. Good quality but bland ... you can't even buy an anchovy there.
no avatar
User

Alan H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Highlands

by Alan H » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:58 pm

Chicago Gyros is underrated in my opinion also, been there many times, usually alot of traffic.
Ironically I have visited for 3 years in a row Patti's Settlement in Grand Rivers,KY (L.B.L. area) voted #1 restaurant for tourism and they are famous for their 2 inch porkchops,I always make my first reservation at Jack Fry's when I come back home to get back to reality of how a porkchop should be prepared and taste.
Alan Hincks
Overtime Sports Bar and Grille

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:19 pm

I can't imagine Wick's ever being over-rated because I don't know anyone who rates it to begin with. Completely mediocre pizza.

Considering that most of Louisville contends with pretty terrible chain grocery stores (that is, in the neighborhoods that even have grocery stores), Lotsa Pasta is pretty great and as far as I'm concerned still very under-rated. Louisville needs more, better gourmet foods from all over.
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:38 pm

For me to mention overated would be bad form, as I am in the industry...

Tops on my underated list: 211 Clover Ln and L & N. It seems everytime I mention either of those restaurants to people, they always say, 'oh yeah! I love that place, but forgot about it!'
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:12 pm

Nancy Cain wrote:I went to Wicks pizza last week. Since it was best of Louisville, we thought we should check it out. Big mistake. The pizza was burn alittle and it was exspensive. So I thought I would ask people what places they thought was over rated and the places that are under rated to them. To me Wicks pizza is really over rated. The places I think are under rated are my two favorite places, Chicago Gyros and a bbq place called Jimbo's by the park. Almost forgot, the China house (i think thats the name on Shelbyville rd)

After leaving Minnesota we spent one lonnnnng year in Oklahoma City...So as a result we haven't found anything in Louisville "overrated" (yet). Spending a year in "food hell" (185 "restaurants" with the word "Taco" in their name) gives one an entirely different perspective.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:34 pm

Steve P wrote:After leaving Minnesota we spent one lonnnnng year in Oklahoma City...So as a result we haven't found anything in Louisville "overrated" (yet). Spending a year in "food hell" (185 "restaurants" with the word "Taco" in their name) gives one an entirely different perspective.

I've never been there, but Leo's Bar-BQ in Oklahoma City seems like it'd make it worth living there.
no avatar
User

Matt K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:57 am

Downtown

by Matt K » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:00 pm

Since the theme of this thread has turned to pizza, I'll ask my question here. Where in Louisville has the best thin crust pizza? There is a place in Evansville, IN called Roca Bar and it probably has the best pizza I've ever had. I haven't found a place comparable here in Louisville, Especially Wicks!! Talk about Mediocre! lol.
no avatar
User

Tony Hill

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:39 am

by Tony Hill » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:22 pm

[quote][quote="Stephen D"]For me to mention overated would be bad form, as I am in the industry...

I have to agree with Stephen D as im in the industry as well...but i do have to say i am extremely excited on how Louisville has so many great local chefs, and the support they get is awsome.
Anyone can have a bad experience in a restaurant and it is very unfortunate for all involved as that is the opinion that will linger with that guest till they return (if they return). I think we all in the industry do not go out and try to make a bad product or go out of our way to make a dining experience a bad one. Some people just have different opinions and likes, and there are times when things just don't go right in a restaurant. I think that is why it is so great to be a foodie or person in the industry because its the experience of dining out that gets us excited. I understand that everyone has different tastes and expectations, and that is what will continue to challenge us all to be and do better. so "over rated and under rated" i think that it could depend on a lot of things and should be taken with a grain of salt.

thanks
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:54 pm

Amongst my "overrated" would also be Pat's Steakhouse ( I just don't get it it's high rating). My last meal at 211 Clover would fit this definition too, but I'm hoping it was just an off-night. Everything was fine, and it's a lovely location, but nothing was very memorable.

The underrated that come to mind are Artemesia ( frequently forgotten) and Limestone ( ditto).

Deb
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:54 am

Joel H wrote:
Steve P wrote:After leaving Minnesota we spent one lonnnnng year in Oklahoma City...So as a result we haven't found anything in Louisville "overrated" (yet). Spending a year in "food hell" (185 "restaurants" with the word "Taco" in their name) gives one an entirely different perspective.

I've never been there, but Leo's Bar-BQ in Oklahoma City seems like it'd make it worth living there.

Leo's...Now THERE is overrated...I make better BBQ. Then again Becky and I did win the pork rib category at the Minnesota state BBQ championship in 2006, so I might be a little too particular about my 'Que.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:21 am

WAYYYY over rated and overpriced.... The Melting Pot.
Not sure I would say it is under rated but not talked about a great deal is The Come Back Inn.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Jason Vaughn

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:23 pm

by Jason Vaughn » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:38 am

I am not sure it is fair to call 211 Clover under rated. Every time I talk to anyone about it they always give it rave reviews. However, I think the problem is that not enough people are talking about it. As to over rated, I have to agree that Wick's pizza and Pat's fall into that category. Both establishments are fine, but maybe not as deserving of their reputations. In particular, any pizza establishment that doesn't have anchovies has a serious problem.
no avatar
User

Laura T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:19 pm

Louisville, KY

by Laura T » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:59 am

Wick's food is totally overrated - agreed!
Next