Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Matt MB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:50 am

Re: Local Wine Service and List

by Matt MB » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:55 pm

I believe the restaurant in Lagrange was Biscotty Bistro. Donna & Jim Miller were the owners.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:13 pm

Mark Head wrote: (is it a tax thing?)
Well, it's a legislative thing. Last time it came up, a lot of the state's restaurateurs were against it, fearing loss of their markup (and, in my opinion, failing to understand that the policy actually INCREASES business from wine geeks.

Given my understanding of the legalities...we won't be asking this favor again. We'll bring a cook into the house.

It's your call, Mark, but if the restaurateur is willing and seems happy to accommodate you, then I wouldn't worry about it. I just wouldn't publicize it on an open forum. :)
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:55 pm

I'm with you, Mark. Has anyone been to the Oakroom since the new sommelier arrived??

My picks for best list and best service would be (in no particular order):

-Bristol Downtown: Unique offerings that change regularly, can't wait to hear about Scott Harper's recent travels in Italy .

-L&N WB&B: Sit at the bar on a weeknight and geek talk with Len. Len and Nancy named their dog "Rochioli" after the CA vineyard and winery. I wish he'd do a little more old world stuff. Stellar stemware. Cool cruvinet.

-Corbett's An American Place: geek talk with Troy Ritchie, the wine guy. Best wine service, IMO

-Seviche: They always have at least one offering from Edmunds-St. John winery, and I think more highly of a restaurateur or wine shop that carries Steve Edmunds's stuff. Gemelli wins the wine shop award for carrying ESJ Rocks and Gravel. I think many dishes at Seviche are not amenable to wine, though - can you say habanero??

-Le Relais: Largest local collection of French offerings (duh)

-Primo: Had a wide variety of Italian stuff from dang near each of the 20 regions. <sniff>

In general I think most local lists are too American-centric.
Previous