Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

Re: Tidings of Comfort and Joy - let's go Caroling!

by Jackie R. » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:57 pm

The Irish Rover has a piano for the patrons as well as libations in the bar area. As I remember they also have it nicely decorated for the holidays. Who plays a piano?
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:05 pm

I do, a little (well, let's be honest, not much for the last 20 years, but I was a music major) - I was just thinking about rehearsing with a piano to get our keys and give us opening pitches.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:07 pm

I wonder if the Rover would let us practice there some afternoon or night this week? Michael? Siobhan?
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:56 pm

I just realized I haven't replied yet. Ahem... LaLaLa... Yes.
Does anyone have a pitch pipe?
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:58 am

Marsha L. wrote:I do, a little (well, let's be honest, not much for the last 20 years, but I was a music major) - I was just thinking about rehearsing with a piano to get our keys and give us opening pitches.

You're a brave woman. I pulled my flute off the shelf a couple of days ago and embarrassed myself for a few minutes before giving up in total disgust, which is what one might expect after 25 or more years of nothing. I would love to join you except I have a terrible singing voice and I'm embarrassed to sing in public. But I'd love to follow y'all around. Maybe I could play the triangle? Anybody have a triangle? Or I could carry a glass of wine and bang on it with a spoon. :D
User

Mandy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:41 pm

Old Louisville

by Mandy R » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:45 am

It sounds like fun if enough people could be gathered for it...may I suggest decideding on a songs list ahead of time so that everyone could review them on an individual basis? I could easily forsee some very funny circumstances where someone may "think" they know the lyrics and instead substitute something totally off the wall :) If everyone could agree on a list I will find and post links where everyone can look at or print out the lyrics for everything.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:31 pm

Let's start a list of carols we like; here are some of my favorites:

Angels we have heard on high
Away in a manger
Blue Christmas
The First Noel
Frosty the Snowman
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
Good King Wenceslas
Grinch Song
Hark! the Herald Angels Sing
Holly and the Ivy
Holly Jolly Christmas
Home for the Holidays
I heard the Bells on Christmas Day
I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
I saw Three Ships Come Sailing In
It came upon the Midnight Clear
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas
Jingle Bells
Joy to the world (not the bullfrog one from 3 dog Night...or, wait - that might be fun!)
Let There be Peace on Earth
Little Drummer Boy
Oh come all ye Faithful
Oh Holy Night
O Tannenbaum
Over the River and Through the Woods
Rudolph
Santa Claus is Coming to Town
Sleigh Ride
Star of Wonder
We Three Kings
We Wish you a Merry Christmas
Winter Wonderland

Whew. by the way, I hope everyone knows I'm promoting this whole idea in a totally non-religious, secular way. I just love the songs and the season. Anybody can play! We'll take all comers, no matter what their religious proclivities!

P.S. I hate "The Twelve Days of Christmas". That song is too long. It takes almost twelve days to sing it!
Marsha Lynch
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:48 pm

Marsha L. wrote:Let's start a list of carols we like; here are some of my favorites:

That's a great list, Marsha! I'm generally good with it, although I'll admit that I have a slight preference for the traditional carols over the modern ones. I mean, why compose "Chestnuts" when you've already got "Three Kings," ya know?
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:53 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Marsha L. wrote:Let's start a list of carols we like; here are some of my favorites:

That's a great list, Marsha! I'm generally good with it, although I'll admit that I have a slight preference for the traditional carols over the modern ones. I mean, why compose "Chestnuts" when you've already got "Three Kings," ya know?

Duh!! Because the chestnut song is about FOOD!
User

Mandy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:41 pm

Old Louisville

by Mandy R » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:52 am

Wow so much to choose from, I like pretty much all of them lol! O Holy Night, We Three Kings (must agree on that one Robin, one of my all time favs!), O Come All Ye Faithful, Silent Night, Joy to the World are all classics that I think are great for this sort of thing. Also like Deck the Halls which wasn't on the list, it's pretty upbeat in comparison to some of the others. Of course the more modern songs are fantastic too...who couldn't think of Rudolph as anything but fun? :) If everyone is still into the idea narrowing down the list now would be a good idea... I had meant to respond back on this sooner but I ended up working 19 hours. Very exhausted but now curled up In my favorite pjs and watching Iron Chef-that makes almost anything ok!
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:18 pm

I am worried because we don't have time to rehearse even once. I guess maybe everyone was right and I started to get this together too late!

Should we cancel and shoot for next year? Or are we seven going to try to do it off the cuff?
Marsha Lynch
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:23 pm

Marsha L. wrote:I am worried because we don't have time to rehearse even once. I guess maybe everyone was right and I started to get this together too late!

Should we cancel and shoot for next year? Or are we seven going to try to do it off the cuff?

If we could come up with a place, we could all get together and sing some carols around the piano, whether we eventually decided to take it on the road or not! Sort of a mini-Christmas offline?

I wonder who'd let us do that? I've seen the Reidys on the forum, but I don't think they lurk regularly, by the way.
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:47 pm

I've got 11 copies of Christmas carol lyrics that weren't used at a recent party ... free to a good home.

Songlist
Frosty
Rudy
Away in a Manger
Joy to the World
O Come All Ye Faithful
Santa Claus is Comin' to Town
Jingle Bells
Silent Night
"Save the neck for me, Clark!" - Cousin Eddie
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:00 pm

Rebecca Clark wrote:I've got 11 copies of Christmas carol lyrics that weren't used at a recent party ... free to a good home.

Thanks, Rebecca! This great idea ain't dead yet! If nothing else, I'm hoping we can come up with a cozy forum Christmas/Hanukkah offline with a piano, brews and munchies and OPTIONAL indoor caroling for those who wish. The shy can simply sit back and be, er, entertained. ;)
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:10 pm

I spoke to Siobhan at Irish Rover and she said they'd love to have us, although she warned the piano hasn't been tuned in forever, but I hope everybody knows I'm not really planning on "playing" it, per se, just using it to strike a chord at the beginning or get our starting not or whatever. She said it sounds like fun, and that they have groups come in caroling all the time this time of year.

Would some of the rest of you join us carolers as long as no one's requiring you to sing?
Marsha Lynch
PreviousNext