Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

MM3: Emergence of Flavors

User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

MM3: Emergence of Flavors

by Stephen D » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:26 am

For your amusement...

I have been thinking lately about when certain ingredients become apparent in flavor profiles and this has led me, inexorably, to a few theses:

1) That culinary flavor profiles can be described similar to the aroma wheel used in wine tasting, with some modifications.

Of course, we all know about the nose, palate and finish of wines. I propose that the culinary approach can, but doesn't always have to, include the following: nose, front, palate, finish, long finish. Many items, especially chilled ones, may not exhibit any nose at all (vichyssoise, ceviche, ice cream.) For some it is integral to the experience (paprikash, chicken soup, Sichuan hotpot.)The long finish is the affect a dish has one the palate after having more than a few bites. A cumulative effect, so to speak, due in large part to full saturation of the throat and nasal receptive cells. A perfect example is the heat found in Chinese dishes or hot pickles. You have to get halfway through to realize you are on fire. In the case of wine or beverages, Think about the flavor of the first couple drinks vs. being halfway through the bottle. I believe this is worth noting.

2) That ingredients become apparent at different points throughout the tasting experience and can be manipulated to become apparent at other points.

If one considers the primary flavors of sour, sweet, salty, spicy and unami to be similar to the primary colors in art/design, then secondary and tertiary flavors should also be considered. Below are some examples that I have thought up to illustrate my point. They are designed with just the main three phases in mind to keep it simple, yet prove my point. Format: Front ~ Palate ~ Finish

Sweet: Fondant ~ Thompson Grapes ~ Chinese Desserts, like sesame balls and Yam Jelly
Sour: Lime ~ Naval Orange ~ Schnitzel
Capsaicin: Tobasco ~ Sriracha ~ Habanero
Salty: Caviar (Oesetra) ~ Himilayan Salt ~ White Anchovy
Umami: Porcini Powder ~ Rainbow Trout ~ Rioja
Spicy: Black Pepper ~ Syrah ~ Yellow Curries
Bitter: Canned Greens? ~ ESB ~ Pickled Watermelon Rind/ Chinese Bitter Melon
Astringent: Alcohol (80 proof) ~ Tonic Water ~ Sichuan Pepper Flowers
Chemical: Garlic, Raw ~ Shallot, Raw ~ Vidalia, Raw
Animal, Land: Liver, Beef ~ NY Strip ~ Pork Loin
Animal, Sea: Salmon ~ Oyster, Atlantic ~ Scallop
Herbal: Parsley, Flatleaf ~ Lemon Verbena ~ Basil, Sangiovese

3) That progressive flavor profiles can be designed where each flavor falls away to the next- a heterogeneous flavor layering.

I've had some successes and some failures in this area recently. The idea, eventually, would be to draw up a chart that would help with creative visualization. The main snafu I have been running into is the effect of cooking on some of my designed profiles. It would seem that some of these recipes would do much better deconstructed. Of course, a larger chart could be designed that would address the issue of various cooking techniques' effects on flavor.

For argument's sake though, let's try to design a couple right now to illustrate my idea. Sichuan Pepper Flower au Poivre: Black Pepper ~ NY Strip ~ Pepper Flower ~ Pepper Flower. I placed the second p flower on the end to represent the long finish of the ingredient. So, you would have spicy ~ animal, land ~ astringent. Porcini Powder ~ Oyster, Atlantic ~ Vidalia Granita = umami ~ animal, sea ~ chemical.

That's the thrust of it, at the moment. I do hope to get some feedback from everyone on this, as it is a work in progress, for sure, and a pretty large subject with lots of gray and subjective areas. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Stephen D on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

Re: MM3: Emergence of Flavors

by carla griffin » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:58 am

Stephen I am no cook and cannot comment along culinary lines but I do find your observations about taste very interesting. My interest is in how we perceive. You likened to the various taste aspects (sour, sweet, salty ,spicy) to a color wheel. That's a clever analogy but for your purposes it's a bit too two dimensional. The introduction of heat or cold may alter the taste (as you mentioned) rather like the introduction of "time" into the idea of perception (dot, line, square, cube , time = 5 dimensions.) But when we add another aspect of perception it changes yet again. About 10% of the population (and some, including myself , think the percentage is much higher) have a condition known as synaesthesia. Basically it's a coupling of senses. The most frequent distortion being sound and sight. ( The patient hears a tone or note and sees a related color. The colors are constant with every note. For instant B flat may appear kelly green, other notes appear in other colors.) Another manifestation of the condition is the coupling of tastes and shapes. Taste salt- think cube. Taste spicy - think triangle. Personally I think it's where a great deal of wine tasting vocabulary comes from. Tasters refer to roundness, edge, flat and so on. Now you have sweet, salty, spicy , sour + heat (or cold) + perception (or how the brain fires) = culinary experience. WOW! The original color wheel idea takes off from a 2 dimensional idea into a multi dimensional comet! Perhaps that's why eating is such an enjoyable event for so many, so many of our senses come into play.
Stephen I apologize if I got off track with my musings.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Joe Pennington

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:53 am

Louisville KY."Germantown"

by Joe Pennington » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:25 pm

unami?? is this the 5th taste or flavor profile that is prevalent in Japanese cuisine. I am thinking color wheel meets periodic table??? I too enjoy your perspective. Keep on keeping on.
Advance confidently in the direction of your dreams and endeavour to live the life which you have imagined and they shall meet with unexpected success. HDT
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:08 pm

carla griffin wrote:Stephen I am no cook and cannot comment along culinary lines but I do find your observations about taste very interesting. My interest is in how we perceive. You likened to the various taste aspects (sour, sweet, salty ,spicy) to a color wheel. That's a clever analogy but for your purposes it's a bit too two dimensional. The introduction of heat or cold may alter the taste (as you mentioned) rather like the introduction of "time" into the idea of perception (dot, line, square, cube , time = 5 dimensions.) But when we add another aspect of perception it changes yet again. About 10% of the population (and some, including myself , think the percentage is much higher) have a condition known as synaesthesia. Basically it's a coupling of senses. The most frequent distortion being sound and sight. ( The patient hears a tone or note and sees a related color. The colors are constant with every note. For instant B flat may appear kelly green, other notes appear in other colors.) Another manifestation of the condition is the coupling of tastes and shapes. Taste salt- think cube. Taste spicy - think triangle. Personally I think it's where a great deal of wine tasting vocabulary comes from. Tasters refer to roundness, edge, flat and so on. Now you have sweet, salty, spicy , sour + heat (or cold) + perception (or how the brain fires) = culinary experience. WOW! The original color wheel idea takes off from a 2 dimensional idea into a multi dimensional comet! Perhaps that's why eating is such an enjoyable event for so many, so many of our senses come into play.
Stephen I apologize if I got off track with my musings.

Ohnononono!! I like it ... a lot! You are definately on to something here. Like 1 = banana = yellow = straight line, right?

Hmmm...
no avatar
User

Isaac F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:10 am

by Isaac F » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:53 pm

Fascinating thread! Once again food and drink becomes an "experience", for the imagination, as well as the taste buds. I will be very interested to see where this goes....