Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

sari sari question

User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

sari sari question

by Leah S » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:26 am

We've eaten here numerous times. And I really, really want to like it. And in a general way I like everything I'd had there very much. And so has hubby and daughter. Frecdh ingredients, prepared in unusual ways. Well thought out and executed dishes.

But, and here's the question part, every dish I've had there, over the last six months, has been way salty. And its not just the sauce that appears to be soy based that's adding the salt. The dishes as they come from the kitchen (without the dipping sauce) are really salty. Is this a characteristic of Phillipino cooking? And let me qualify this by saying that my family thinks I use way to much salt, so I consider myself to have a high tolerance for the stuff. Just asking for your opinions and experience.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

Re: sari sari question

by John R. » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:33 am

Leah s wrote:We've eaten here numerous times. And I really, really want to like it. And in a general way I like everything I'd had there very much. And so has hubby and daughter. Frecdh ingredients, prepared in unusual ways. Well thought out and executed dishes.

But, and here's the question part, every dish I've had there, over the last six months, has been way salty. And its not just the sauce that appears to be soy based that's adding the salt. The dishes as they come from the kitchen (without the dipping sauce) are really salty. Is this a characteristic of Phillipino cooking? And let me qualify this by saying that my family thinks I use way to much salt, so I consider myself to have a high tolerance for the stuff. Just asking for your opinions and experience.

I have been to other Filipino places and they arent salty. They need to ease back on the soy sauce. The thing that I notice about Sari Sari is not the salt as much as a mystery ingredient. Its in everything and it leaves me tasting it all day. This ingredient is also not inherent to my other experiences. I want to like Sari Sari but from my experiences, I have had better from the Filipino lady down the street.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:54 am

John R. wrote:I have had better from the Filipino lady down the street.

Okay, I'll bite. Where is this lady?
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:49 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
John R. wrote:I have had better from the Filipino lady down the street.

Okay, I'll bite. Where is this lady?

Ha! Sorry Robin, she is just an old neighbor that enjoys cooking. A childhood friends mom. It's good stuff. The common reaction is "I have no idea what this is, but it's good!" Her stuff is usually sort subtle in flavor and lots of coconut. Good bibingka too, always seems to have some made. It was also my first encounter with raw seafood.
User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Elizabethtown + Prospect

A favorite

by Casey J. » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:35 am

Sari Sari has a distinct flavor. We have a large group that eats there at least once a week. It is our favorite restaurant in Louisville. One of the flavors you may be tasting is Star Anise, a dark pod with a licorice flavor. My wife and I first tried Sari Sari about a year ago and have taken many many friends. Everyone we brought has not only loved it, but brought more friends on a regular basis. Sari Sari has a very strong and faithful following. I have read the salty comment in a thread once before. I am sure if you let Pete (the owner) know, Lourdes (the Chef) would adjust the seasoning in your dish as she prepares it. We personally don't want anything to change about any of their food. If you have not already, give the lunch or Wednesday night buffet a try. It will give you a chance to taste several of their items. We drive 45 minutes once, sometimes twice a week, just for their food. Many of their dishes have been featured in different publications. They will also be featured in the next issue of Southern Living. For people who have not yet tried Sari Sari, give it a try and form your own opinion. The owner and the staff are a great team that make great food and love what they do.
no avatar
User

Vanessa Wilson

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:36 pm

Re: A favorite

by Vanessa Wilson » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:05 am

Casey J. wrote:Sari Sari has a distinct flavor. We have a large group that eats there at least once a week. It is our favorite restaurant in Louisville. One of the flavors you may be tasting is Star Anise, a dark pod with a licorice flavor. My wife and I first tried Sari Sari about a year ago and have taken many many friends. Everyone we brought has not only loved it, but brought more friends on a regular basis. Sari Sari has a very strong and faithful following. I have read the salty comment in a thread once before. I am sure if you let Pete (the owner) know, Lourdes (the Chef) would adjust the seasoning in your dish as she prepares it. We personally don't want anything to change about any of their food. If you have not already, give the lunch or Wednesday night buffet a try. It will give you a chance to taste several of their items. We drive 45 minutes once, sometimes twice a week, just for their food. Many of their dishes have been featured in different publications. They will also be featured in the next issue of Southern Living. For people who have not yet tried Sari Sari, give it a try and form your own opinion. The owner and the staff are a great team that make great food and love what they do.
thank you and kudos
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:16 am

I'm fine with Star Anise. In fact its a spice I keep in my pantry and actually use. It's really the salt factor.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

Re: A favorite

by John R. » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:29 am

Casey J. wrote:Sari Sari has a distinct flavor. We have a large group that eats there at least once a week. It is our favorite restaurant in Louisville. One of the flavors you may be tasting is Star Anise, a dark pod with a licorice flavor. My wife and I first tried Sari Sari about a year ago and have taken many many friends. Everyone we brought has not only loved it, but brought more friends on a regular basis. Sari Sari has a very strong and faithful following. I have read the salty comment in a thread once before. I am sure if you let Pete (the owner) know, Lourdes (the Chef) would adjust the seasoning in your dish as she prepares it. We personally don't want anything to change about any of their food. If you have not already, give the lunch or Wednesday night buffet a try. It will give you a chance to taste several of their items. We drive 45 minutes once, sometimes twice a week, just for their food. Many of their dishes have been featured in different publications. They will also be featured in the next issue of Southern Living. For people who have not yet tried Sari Sari, give it a try and form your own opinion. The owner and the staff are a great team that make great food and love what they do.

It's not anise. It's bizarre and I can't really discribe it because I haven't been there in months. I have been there about 5 times because I have some friends that love the place. I don't share the sentiment. To me, that ingredient, makes it all taste the same and I got tired of burping it up days after eating there.