Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Favorite coffee shop

Caffe Classico
8%
Day's
5%
Derby City Espresso
14%
Heine Brothers
20%
Highland
6%
HobKnobb
2%
Jackson's Organic
18%
Java Brewing
8%
La Vida Java
1%
Old Louisville
1%
Perfektion
1%
Ray's Monkey House
1%
Starbucks
2%
Sunergos
9%
Other
3%

Total votes : 87
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

POLL: Favorite coffee shop

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:33 pm

I've included both microroasteries here and shops that serve quality coffee in a coffee shop setting but do not roast their own. It's primarily local, of course, but in fairness I've included a couple of chains, small (La Vida Java) and large (You-know-whobucks).

Use your own judgment in basing your vote on coffee quality, service, ambience or a combination ... vote on!
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

Re: POLL: Favorite coffee shop

by carla griffin » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:38 am

This is a tough one Robin. When Highland Coffee was across the street from our offices I was in there almost every morning. Coffee was great and the barristas were super friendly. I think Cafe Classico looks beautiful and is reminisent of cafes in Europe. I've had a tasty lunch in there a couple times too. But when I think of a real coffee house I think of New York and the Village. The closest thing here to that experience, for me, is DCE. (Not to kiss Matthew's butt or anything...) I was just really impressed with the atmosphere when I went by for the Oak Street Pizza benefit.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:12 am

BREADWORKS!
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:42 am

This was a tough poll. I frequent Heine Bros. most often since I can find one in so many Louisville areas (and I do like their coffee). I'm becoming a big fan of Ray's Monkey House, especially since it's an easy walk from my house, but I could only vote for one.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

K H Kramer

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:27 pm

by K H Kramer » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:03 am

Agree with Jeremy.....BREADWORKS!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:45 am

Jeremy J wrote:BREADWORKS!

As a coffee shop? Hmm ... I hadn't thought of that, and also excepted a personal favorite, Blue Dog, from the poll for similar reasons: Excellent coffee and espresso drinks but not really a coffee shop in my mind. Still, it's your vote, and thanks for it!
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:52 am

I dunno, not to be a smart ass, but they have coffee, espresso and baked goods, just like Heine...heck, Staryucks has breakfast sandwiches and CDs...

Not only that, but they also have full flavored fair trade coffee that doesn't give you the jitters...(love Heines but you can easily OD onthat java!)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:07 pm

Jeremy J wrote:I dunno, not to be a smart ass, but they have coffee, espresso and baked goods, just like Heine...heck, Staryucks has breakfast sandwiches and CDs...

Nah, you're not being a smart or any other kind of ass, Jeremy. I was just thinking out loud. I pretty much decided on the fly what was a coffee shop, and somehow places like Caffe Classico (which has full-service dining) made the cut for me, while Breadworks and Blue Dog just didn't feel like coffee shops. Totally my intuitive, on-the-fly thinking.

Of course, this is why I always include "other" in polls. :oops:
no avatar
User

SeanS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:27 pm

Fern Creek

by SeanS » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:38 pm

Starbucks!!! Seriously, though, I'm kidding. And I didn't vote. Here's why...

For those of us who never really got into drinking coffee (yes, we do exist), does anyone know of a place in town who has an "educational night" like the tastings for other beverages we see posted around here? My general assumption is that my relatively unrefined palate, coupled with my general ignorance of the world of coffee, has kept me from enjoying the full experience of a beverage which has such pleasing aromas. Just as I've been attempting to learn about and describe the different flavors in beer (I'm a fledgling homebrewer), I'd like to understand more about what makes up a good cup of coffee.

I would hate to monopolize a proprietor's time, and potentially waste their product (I feel a bit of sadness whenever I see a beer sitting lonely, half full on an empty table when I'm at a brewpub, and wouldn't want to do that to a true coffee connoisseur -- owner or patron). But I'd love to taste some quality coffee, and get a bit of education as I go.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:41 pm

SeanS wrote:Starbucks!!! Seriously, though, I'm kidding. And I didn't vote. Here's why...

For those of us who never really got into drinking coffee (yes, we do exist), does anyone know of a place in town who has an "educational night" like the tastings for other beverages we see posted around here? My general assumption is that my relatively unrefined palate, coupled with my general ignorance of the world of coffee, has kept me from enjoying the full experience of a beverage which has such pleasing aromas. Just as I've been attempting to learn about and describe the different flavors in beer (I'm a fledgling homebrewer), I'd like to understand more about what makes up a good cup of coffee.

I would hate to monopolize a proprietor's time, and potentially waste their product (I feel a bit of sadness whenever I see a beer sitting lonely, half full on an empty table when I'm at a brewpub, and wouldn't want to do that to a true coffee connoisseur -- owner or patron). But I'd love to taste some quality coffee, and get a bit of education as I go.

Sean - see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4606

DCE does coffee tastings (I'm assuming you get some education with it) the fourth Tuesday of each month.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:42 pm

SeanS wrote: does anyone know of a place in town who has an "educational night" like the tastings for other beverages we see posted around here?

Tuesday Tastings at Derby City Espresso - one coffee session left this month, the day before Christmas Eve!

edited to add: Great minds...
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Matt K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:57 am

Downtown

by Matt K » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:13 am

Although I love Heine Bros as well, Days takes it for me, they make the best latte's and I love the atmosphere, plus it's kinda the "queer coffee shop" in louisville so I fit right in :P
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:59 am

Where is Day's?
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:29 am

Carla - Days is next to Edenside gallery in the highlands. One block from Kizito. They've been around for about 13yrs. They attempted a second location years ago that went bust, I think where or near the Java on Main resides.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:34 am

Thanks Jackie. I've been in Edensides dozens of times , seen the coffee shop and never knew what it was called. It always smells heavenly.
Carla
Next