Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Catherine Davidson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:53 pm

Dean Corbett on WAVE on Tuesday

by Catherine Davidson » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:17 pm

Did anyone catch the spot Dean Corbett did on WAVE Tuesday night pitching local restaurants? I thought it went right to the point. Very effective. CD
If you wish to make an apple pie truly from scratch, you must first invent the universe. Carl Sagan
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Re: Dean Corbett on WAVE on Tuesday

by Will Crawford » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:28 pm

I saw it too as i was nursing a cold in bed. Dean is a class act and a great spokesperson for us local guys. Glad he is the leader of our team.
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Catherine Davidson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Catherine Davidson » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:02 am

Since he didn't sugar coat (every pun intended) the issue, for those who caught his spot he certainly raised awareness. Maybe that's what we need. A spokesperson. Someone to represent our local restaurants. To me there is a critical distinction between local businesses and local restaurants due to the staffing levels of restaurants and the expense that represents. When I opened Deitrich's with Bim we were very impressed that our new computer/registers allowed us to look at the staffing levels hour by hour as it related to sales. I can't imagine running Deitrich's now , with staff of 53 people, listening to the news and endlessly reworking the budget. There is an urgency to maintain a certain level of sales. Beyond that point local restaurants may not be flexible. I think our local restaurants need a voice of their own. Okay here it comes....we should fight before we fold! :) CD
If you wish to make an apple pie truly from scratch, you must first invent the universe. Carl Sagan
no avatar
User

Catherine Davidson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Catherine Davidson » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:59 am

Oops, I just re-read Will's post. In my exuberance (and first cup of morning tea) I missed Will's point that Dean is already spokesperson for local restaurants. Sorry Dean. I was cooking and must have missed your intro on WAVE. I hope you get the chance to do much more in the media. CD
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:17 pm

Catherine Davidson wrote:Since he didn't sugar coat (every pun intended) the issue, for those who caught his spot he certainly raised awareness. Maybe that's what we need. A spokesperson. Someone to represent our local restaurants. To me there is a critical distinction between local businesses and local restaurants due to the staffing levels of restaurants and the expense that represents. When I opened Deitrich's with Bim we were very impressed that our new computer/registers allowed us to look at the staffing levels hour by hour as it related to sales. I can't imagine running Deitrich's now , with staff of 53 people, listening to the news and endlessly reworking the budget. There is an urgency to maintain a certain level of sales. Beyond that point local restaurants may not be flexible. I think our local restaurants need a voice of their own. Okay here it comes....we should fight before we fold! :) CD

Off topic, but I sure miss Deitrich's.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Joe Pennington

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:53 am

Louisville KY."Germantown"

by Joe Pennington » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:00 pm

Me too! Deitrichs was the first great restaurant that I experienced when I moved to Louisville in the early 90s.
Advance confidently in the direction of your dreams and endeavour to live the life which you have imagined and they shall meet with unexpected success. HDT
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:13 pm

Joe Pennington wrote:Me too! Deitrichs was the first great restaurant that I experienced when I moved to Louisville in the early 90s.

I only made it there once, when I was in college. A good friend from college and I were visting Louisville (I didn't move here until later), and were trying to decide where to eat. My then-girlfriend lived here, but he and I (he is from Memphis) were relatively unfamilar with the Louisville restaurant scene, though I had experienced Zephyr Cove a few times by then. Anyway, my friend said his dad's college roomate ran a restaurant in the city, but he didn't know where or who the roomate was. After a phone call to his dad, it ended up that Bim Deitrich was the college roomate. We had a very memorable dinner there, but it unforunately closed before I officially moved to Louisville (as did Zephyr Cove).
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:58 pm

I was out at Corbett's tonight and it was packed to the gills. Dean made the rounds and the food was stunning. I'm addicted to the sweet breads. Anyway I thought it was a good sign to see all the business at Corbett's tonight.