Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Great Margarita!

no avatar
User

NDDuncan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:24 pm

Great Margarita!

by NDDuncan » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:58 pm

I just had one of the best margaritas I've had in ages - at Sol Azteca's.
They make them the old fashioned way - I could taste the Roses Lime
Juice and the triplesec was bruised just right....mmmmm! :D
Nancy Duncan
no avatar
User

Sue H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 05, 2007 12:08 am

Re: Great Margarita!

by Sue H » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:12 am

How does it comapre to El Mundo's margarita? I consider El Mundo's margarita the best I have ever had.
no avatar
User

Isaac F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:10 am

by Isaac F » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:59 am

Perhaps I'm being a bit snobbish here, but how can a Margarita be authentic, or great, with Roses sweetened lime juice, and triple sec? And the triple sec was perfectly bruised??? (And just the triple sec?!) :? Maybe we should should start a Margarita competition. :D
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:15 pm

Isaac F wrote:Perhaps I'm being a bit snobbish here, but how can a Margarita be authentic, or great, with Roses sweetened lime juice, and triple sec? And the triple sec was perfectly bruised??? (And just the triple sec?!) :? Maybe we should should start a Margarita competition. :D

I thought triple sec was fairly authentic. Agreed about Rose's - should be fresh lime juice for sure.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

David O.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:52 am

Louisville

by David O. » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:43 pm

Here's the REAL thing:

http://www.fronterakitchens.com/cooking ... arita.html

So, I would say triple sec counts as an orange liqueur but Rose's I'm afraid wouldn't cut with me. :wink:

Neither would corn fructose laden mixes IMHO.
David O.
no avatar
User

Isaac F

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Isaac F » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:56 pm

I thought triple sec was fairly authentic. Agreed about Rose's - should be fresh lime juice for sure.[/quote]

Absolutely. Triple sec is traditional. I was arguing both tradition, and the fact that the Margarita was described as "Great". There are a million ideas on how to make Margaritas, but fresh lime juice is a must. For better quality, a top shelf substitute for triple sec would be appropriate. Most common,of course, would be Cointreau or Grand Marnier (not an actual "substitute"). I use Mandarine Napoleon, but that's just me. Also, fresh lemon juice and simple syrup is my preference to sour mix from a bottle.
And I'm still trying to figure out the Triple sec was perfectly bruised bit. Hmmm.....??
no avatar
User

NDDuncan

{ RANK }

Foodie

by NDDuncan » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:02 pm

I was a bartender in college (100 yrs ago - yes, I'm old!) and I had to learn
to make drinks "by the book". I believe it was the Old Barton's Book of
coctails or something like that. Anyway, that's how I made them over 30 yrs ago,
and that's how I like them.

Now that says a lot for someone who really doesn't care for margaritas! I haven't ordered
one in years (one too many margarita happy hours if you know what I mean :wink: ) - I always taste
my hubby's or a friend's to see if I like it, and I usually don't. But this one was perfect IMO :)
Nancy Duncan
no avatar
User

NDDuncan

{ RANK }

Foodie

by NDDuncan » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:08 pm

Oh, if you don't "bruise" the triplesec it tastes completely different!

One part tequilla (good quality, of course!), one part Roses Lime, and
one part triplesec. Mix (electric) until triplesec bruises (turns cloudy).

Serve with salt and do NOT serve frozen!!!
Nancy Duncan
no avatar
User

Isaac F

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Isaac F » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:44 pm

"Anyway, that's how I made them over 30 yrs ago,
and that's how I like them."

I certainly wasn't disagreeing with your taste. :D I'm sincerely glad that you enjoyed it. After all that's what really matters, isn't it?
My point was simply concerning the authentic nature, and quality of the drink, from an impersonal point of view. (I wouldn't trust the famous old Barton's btw.) The one problem with "by the book", is whose book? A little research is always helpful.
I won't say that my Margarita is completely authentic, either, but I would say that it's pretty tasty. :wink:
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:03 pm

A lesser-known fact about the margarita is that it was originally served up, due to the expense of obtaining ice at the time.

Not so lesser known is that the recipe is attributed to the wife of a Mexican governor...
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:57 am

Just to bring this back to the top - we finally made it to the new Sol Azteca's on Frankfort last night. We tried for El Mundo, but the wait was 40 minutes and there was NO space by the bar, so we jumped across the street. Things didn't get off to a great start as our server dumped a full water glass in my wife's lap (better that than the margaritas though). He was very apologetic, and immediately moved us to a new *dry* table. He also gave us a round of margaritas on the house, so all was forgiven. Other than that, the service was great.

We both were impressed with the food. My enchiladas poblanas were pretty darn good, mostly because of the impressive mole sauce. The sauce was legit, with a bit of spice and hints of cocoa. With a few exceptions, the menu choices were pretty common "pick a numbered combo" Mexican restaurant choices, but the food itself was definitely a step up from the other places in town. The preparation was perfect and everything just seemed very fresh.

Finally, the margaritas. I thought they were good, but unfortunately not the best ever, and not better than El Mundo's. That being said, they were well made margaritas, and I would be happy to drink more of them.

All in all, we were impressed, and would definitely return - especially when the El Mundo wait is just too much on a cold night.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Scott Endres

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:13 pm

Crescent Hill

by Scott Endres » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:17 pm

We went to Sol Aztecas last night and I followed Brad Keeton's lead with the Enchiladas Poblano. I have to agree, this is a legitimate dish. Nothing fancy, but very good mole, tortillas and chicken. It shows what you can do with simple quality ingredients. My fiance had seafood enchiladas and they blew both of us away. The sauce on the enchiladas was very rich and flavorful, and the quality of the seafood was just as good. As for the margaritas, they were different than most I have had in Louisville and that is not a bad thing. Generally El Mundo's are my favorite, but these could be my favorite in a different way. It sort of like comparing Impellizari's pizza and Tony Boombozz's. But are favorites in their own way. The only downfall of the night was the guacamole which ftasted like it had been kept in a container in the freezer and then scooped out when we ordered it. When it was served, it had little taste but it did get better as it warmed. That said, one of the owners visited our table during the meal and asked how everything was. We told him all the good but did mention the guac. Instead of making an excuse, which numerous places would have, he asked us what we would like differnet in it, and asked for examples of types we liked. This is was a great move.

In the end, we were so happy with our evening that my fiance decided to move her retirement party to Sol Aztecas from Ky BBQ Company, who wouldn't wait on us later in the evening when we stopped by for a normal Friday of listening to Tim Krekel.
Have a Good Day!
Scott

Teaching Is Too Important to Take Seriously!
http://www.paperwadideas.com
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:08 am

Isaac F wrote:Most common,of course, would be Cointreau or Grand Marnier (not an actual "substitute"). I use Mandarine Napoleon, but that's just me.

Mandarine Napoleon is my absolute fav orange liquer, even more than Cointreau. And you;re making margaritas with it?! Where are you tending sir so I can get one!
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Isaac F

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Isaac F » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:57 am

The Windsor Restaurant and Garden, Carla. Former site of Bistro New Albany, on the corner of Market and Bank sts. in downtown New Albany.
Our newly renovated bar and lounge area opened a few weeks ago. and has been doing very well since.
Mandarine Napoleon is a great orange liqueur (I also use it in my Cosmo Napoleon), and I feature as much as possible in the way of fresh juices, homemade syrups, and topshelf liquors.
Our dinner hours are 5:00-? Tue. through Sat. Dining is available in the lounge as well.
We'd love to have you!
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:48 pm

I've been for lunch tasking clients , so I didn't get to imbibe.Food was great! We were lead through a bit of a maze to wind up in a lovely little courtyard. Very pretty. I will be back. Is there a happy hour yet?
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
Next