Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:27 pm

If you feel like slumming it you can venture over to New Albany and get a Pizza King Pizza. I swear it's school lunch pizza, but sometimes it is just what I was craving.
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

by Bryan Shepherd » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:56 pm

I heard Danny Mac's has a great cheesesteak sandwich :lol: :lol: :lol:
BShep
User

RebeccaWebb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:54 am

Lexington, KY

by RebeccaWebb » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:46 am

Linda C wrote:Didn't mean to bash the food, just the canned shrooms! I think it's worth changing in that dish.

We could help with that problem! :wink: We have never sold mushrooms just to a pizza place; however, in the next couple of weeks, we will start selling to Smashing Tomato in Lexington.
Rebecca Phillips Webb
no avatar
User

Paul W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:23 pm

highlands

by Paul W » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:13 pm

Amy A wrote:If you feel like slumming it you can venture over to New Albany and get a Pizza King Pizza. I swear it's school lunch pizza, but sometimes it is just what I was craving.

wow, so many repressed memories of school lunch's just came flooding back! does Pizza King really serve something similiar to the square pizza slices topped with red cubes of...what was it supposed to be...pepperoni? sausage? that i used to eat in highschool before they started bring in Papa Johns on a daily basis? are we talking about the same thing here?
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:24 pm

That's what it brought to mind in me as well, Paul.

Surprisingly I'm hoping it IS what she's talking about. Not that I have any deep abiding love for the pizza, but I certainly can go for a slice of nostalgia every now and then.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:32 pm

Why am I the first person mentioning Rich-O's pizza on page 2? THere's no excuse for over looking the best pizza in this area.
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:45 pm

That is EXACTLY how it is. Cubed pepperoni, ground sausage. It's way better than school lunch pizza, but so close that you can't mistake it!

And yes, Rich-o's has great pizza too. Honestly, I go there for the beer more than the pizza though. Mmmmm, porters.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:48 pm

well being straight edge, I go there solely for the pizza. I did get a keg of root beer from there once, but having since sworn off High Fructose Corn Syrup I dont partake of SPrecher's root beer any longer. Now if they started carrying Bulldog root beer.....
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:16 pm

Gave up on Bernoes a long time ago....Been to the Westpoprt Road location a few times....Every time not impressed....Take Wicks...Papa Johns or even Pizza Hut over there pizza......anyday.....and Fastbreak in Crestwwod and Steveos in Buckner are so far above Bernoes there is no comparisions..... :D :D :D :D :D
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

PIzza

by Chris M » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:02 pm

Windy City is excellent pizza, if you like that style.

Just to ring the chain bell.... I think Uno's way out on Bardstown Road has a respectable pie. As does California Pizza Kitchen.

Clifton Pizza is also good, as is Cafe Lou Lou.

I have to admit, I was unimpressed with Fast Break on my first attempt, but subsequent visits have proven very good.
no avatar
User

Paul W

{ RANK }

Foodie

highlands

by Paul W » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:23 pm

never fails...any time there's a thread that's pizza related...at all...it turns into a "best pie in town" thread. i love it! i think it happens, at least, once a month...and yet somehow i never tire of reading them.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Best pizza.

by Doogy R » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:21 pm

paul w wrote:never fails...any time there's a thread that's pizza related...at all...it turns into a "best pie in town" thread. i love it! i think it happens, at least, once a month...and yet somehow i never tire of reading them.

Impellizerri's and Bearno's.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

johnlannon

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:02 am

by johnlannon » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:01 pm

One will not find anything quite on par with Lou Malnati's here. Afterall, one ought to have a reason to go back to Chicago.

Interesting that one poster fondly recalled dining at Bearno's in the 1970's. I think this sentiment explains the success of many of Louisville's pizza restaurants. And it's just that: sentimentality. Bearno's reminds of us Louisville pizza back before Louisville's culinary renaissance. Back when food was more of a commodity and less likely to be an expression of a particular chef's whim and/or passion.

Fortunately, we now have a wide variety of restaurants that offer inspired takes on pizza and sufficient demand to support them. Boombozz is a great example. While one might not love potatoes and chicken on a pizza, their innovation is admirable and has inspired others. Often overlooked, Za's offers a good, traditional take on the pie (harkens back to that 1970's Louisville pizza style, but with more of an emphasis on real ingredients). Za's also always has a few good beers on tap, which is more that can be said for some other pizza places around.

Speaking of good beer and pizza, as others have mentioned, you have to get to Rich O's/NABC. Although it's not Chicago style, the pizza is extremely well-made. It's simple, but not bland. The sauce is carefully considered (isn't that novel? Paying attention to the sauce...How many old school Louisville pizzerias do that?). The ovens are super-hot and the pizza always perfectly cooked. For their style of pizza, Rich O's really delivers. Plus, if one asks nicely, one might be able to score a pint of decent beer over there.

On a related note, I was a bit disappointed to learn that Alameda was morphing into Impellizeri's. I know it might be anathema around here, but taking an ordinary pie and and turning it into an obese ordinary pie does not a good pizza make.

I was really hoping for a joint with a more modern take on pizza. A hip place like Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix. As Proof has proved, Louisville can support an urban, modern - in not trendy - restaurant with a heavy emphasis on (of all things) food.
no avatar
User

Paul W

{ RANK }

Foodie

highlands

by Paul W » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:27 am

johnlannon wrote:On a related note, I was a bit disappointed to learn that Alameda was morphing into Impellizeri's. I know it might be anathema around here, but taking an ordinary pie and and turning it into an obese ordinary pie does not a good pizza make.

I was really hoping for a joint with a more modern take on pizza. A hip place like Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix. As Proof has proved, Louisville can support an urban, modern - in not trendy - restaurant with a heavy emphasis on (of all things) food.

im pretty sure i saw a sign in the window which indicated a Chef Supply place was going in there. i thought that was pretty strange...seems like a prime spot for a restaurant. anyone have more info on this?
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

Pizza place

by Heather Y » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:52 am

I was there to look at some of the tables and equipment they were letting go of, and the kitchen was an absolute pit!

It is a wonder it did not go up in flames long ago, and the floor was rotting out, etc.

If you did see a sign saying "chef's supply" then maybe they decided they would have to sell an awful lot of pizza to recoup the money to fix it up.

That would be an odd spot for a chef's supply, If I lived around there, (used to), a restaurant would be much more appealing.
PreviousNext