Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Whiskey Bent Valley Boys at Westport General Store

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:56 pm

Whiskey Bent Valley Boys will appear at the Westport General Store Saturday
December 13th at 7pm.

Come on out and enjoy the energetic roots music by the warmth of the wood
burning stove.

Specials:

Cajun Angels - shrimp stuffed with dungeness crab, sauteed and served with
garlic herb pasta and sauteed vegetables.

Chicken Breast Acapulco- sauteed with red peppers, onion, black olives with
a tequila sauce. served with rice and sauteed vegetables.

502 222 4626 for reservations

Will Crawford
Westport General Store
6805 Main St
Westport, KY 40077
502 222 4626
http://www.westportgeneralstore.com
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

Re: Whiskey Bent Valley Boys at Westport General Store

by Tom Holstein » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:57 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Whiskey Bent Valley Boys will appear at the Westport General Store Saturday
December 13th at 7pm.

Come on out and enjoy the energetic roots music by the warmth of the wood
burning stove.

Gina, a close friend and I enjoyed an excellent meal accompanied by fine "Bluegrass" tunes.

Not in the mood for salads we started with Baby Hot Brown tapas and steamed Mussels in garlic wine butter sauce. The Baby HB's were delish. A dinner sized plate carried roughly five or six mini HB's about the size of the palm of your hand. This classic combo was much to my liking. The creamy Mornay was just the right amount....nothing swimming. Finished under a broiler or salamander to a crispy, oozy finish. If one ordered as an entree for $8...inflation buster! Fine Southern Tapa indeed. The steamed mussels were a generous serving of Prince Edward Island bivalves in a rich, thick garlic wine sauce. The sauce could have been warmer for my liking but was devoured in short order.

Our Friend and I were in the mood for Bison. We both ordered the rib-eyes. Gina ordered the Southern style pork loin chops. A generous portion of thick sliced center chops were lightly breaded and pan fried to a crispy, yet still moist finish. Accompanied by collar greens and mashed taters covered in a proper white milk gravy. She declared "comfort food" perfection. Our rib-eyes were both ordered medium rare. I choose blue cheese coleslaw and Weisenberger grits for my sides. I'm unsure of my friend's sides as I was too interested in my plate and fine Bluegrass tunes from Whiskey Bent crew to notice. Upon arrival I was a bit unsure about my steak. While I'm sure it was a good 10-12 ozs. portion, I was alarmed at it's thin cut. My initial concern was "this maybe too done". It was a perfect medium rare. :) . The béarnaise was a light version that allowed the bison to shine through. I have used Weisenberger products for years but was a bit put off by the long cook time suggested for their grits. Be patient folks. They were some of the best I've tasted. The blue cheese coleslaw was a very well balanced combo of tastes. Not at all over powered by the cheese.

Dessert was passed in order to enjoy libations while listening to the band. Gina and friend continued with beers and MacMurry Pinot Noir while I sipped Booker neat. It was a perfect end to a fine repast.

Will Crawford greeted us upon our arrival and visited our table a couple of times during the night. He's an interested and involved owner. Our server, Jeff was attentive without hovering.

I'm sure we will visit Westport General Store many times. A note to those concerned about the distance......we left WGS at 10:05 PM. Dropped off our friend in Goshen with a quick farewell and were pulling in our Sunnyside driveway at 10:48. Traffic was light for Saturday night but 43 mins with a 6-7 minute detour was not bad at all.....especially to sample really GOOD Southern cuisine and enjoy some Kaintuck roots music.
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Re: Whiskey Bent Valley Boys at Westport General Store

by Will Crawford » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:13 pm

Tom,
It was nice to meet you and your group last Saturday. I always like to put a face to a name from the forum. Thanks for coming out and for all of the kind words. I will pass it on to the chef and the server. I'm glad your trip was short one. It is a bit of a trip but not all that bad. I know I can get to Frankfort ave. in about 30 min from here.
Will Crawford