Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

Re: Suggestions....Coming to town next weekend...

by John Greenup » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:06 pm

StevenKluesner wrote:Pat's sounds good. I have been to Ruth Chris' and Morton's but they seem a little high brow for me.

What about seafood? Any thing you would recommend.

I am going to plan on the North End Cafe.

"Havana Rhumba" is a local Cuban restaurant that (IMO) has some interesting seafood dishes....check their menu at http://www.myhavanarhumba.com
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:30 pm

John Greenup wrote:"Havana Rhumba" is a local Cuban restaurant that (IMO) has some interesting seafood dishes....

John, there's no 'h' in this Rumba. Make that link
http://www.myhavanarumba.com
User

Laura B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:46 am

Miami, Florida

by Laura B » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:17 pm

One of our favs is Varanese. http://www.varanese.com/ LIve music until 10 and there are two seafood choices on the menu (salmon and mahi mahi) that cannot be beat for the prices. Of course it helps that it's right across the street! :) The flat iron steak is also very good. If you like to try unusual dishes, John may even be offering his version of "turducken" as a special. (The menu online today indeed shows it as such.) See Robin's article about it at http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?p=340 or you can link to it from the Varanese home page. Have a good time!!!
When in doubt, add more wine.
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
John Greenup wrote:"Havana Rhumba" is a local Cuban restaurant that (IMO) has some interesting seafood dishes....

John, there's no 'h' in this Rumba. Make that link
http://www.myhavanarumba.com

Thank you, Robin....duly noted.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:49 pm

Pat's prices really HAVE increased...but a pretty decent amount, I understand the sticker shock! Wow!
Still some of the best steak I've had...EVER.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:36 pm

Michelle R. wrote:Pat's prices really HAVE increased...but a pretty decent amount, I understand the sticker shock! Wow!
Still some of the best steak I've had...EVER.

Thanks for the sticker-shock calibration, guys. It's been a few years since my last Pat's review. Sounds like I need to get with the program.
no avatar
User

Sue H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 05, 2007 12:08 am

by Sue H » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:33 pm

For seafood in Louisville, I would say try Z's Oyster Bar and Steakhouse. I think they have the best fish, hands down, in the area.

http://www.zsoyster.com/
no avatar
User

StevenKluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:11 pm

Patoka Lake (Dubois County, Indiana)

by StevenKluesner » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:45 pm

Well...sounds like we have 3 or 4 good choices....so we will have a good food weekend in Louisville.

Thanks a bunch!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:50 pm

I definitely have to agree with Z's, certainly the best seafood in town in their steaks are also as good as anybody's in my opinion and actually not significantly more expensive than Pat's. Of course I always love their appetizers, they have excellence escargot and are the only place in town that has steak tartar that I know of.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

StevenKluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

by StevenKluesner » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:22 pm

What is up with Seviche? Which location is still open?
no avatar
User

StevenKluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

by StevenKluesner » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:30 pm

ok...I don't seem to spend alot of time downtown but what restaurants are located downtown?

It seems like the old sphaghetti factory is the only one we see.

We usually stay at the Marriott or Courtyard by Marriott.

Thanks again!
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:48 pm

Steven, the original location of Seviche is the one still open, in the Highlands on Bardstown Rd. If you are considering going there - do it! Don't miss out.

Downtown, you have Proof and the Oakroom, Jeff Ruby's, 610 Magnolia (downtown-ISH), Morton's Steakhouse, and Vincenzo's - for upscale dining.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:45 pm

Marsha L. wrote:Steven, the original location of Seviche is the one still open, in the Highlands on Bardstown Rd. If you are considering going there - do it! Don't miss out.

Downtown, you have Proof and the Oakroom, Jeff Ruby's, 610 Magnolia (downtown-ISH), Morton's Steakhouse, and Vincenzo's - for upscale dining.

Also downtown and upscale is the English Grill at the Brown Hotel (have a drink in the lobby before). If you stay downtown and want sushi, there's Caviar Japanese (http://www.caviarsushibar.com/) and Raw Sushi Lounge (http://www.rawsushilounge.com/), all close to the 4th St./Muhammad Ali area. I go to Caviar often for lunch, and am a fan.

Proof is probably your best choice downtown.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

StevenKluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

by StevenKluesner » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:11 am

Well we arrived in Louisville this evening and selected Melillo's for our first culinary experience for our weekend in the city.

We arrived at 8:00 and we found a 45 minute wait ahead of us. The hostess was very nice and we asked if we could come back in an hour so we went to check in at the hotel. We returned at ( and found a table waiting for us. We had some concern about the "closing" notice but the atmosphere was great and we loved the small, intimate setting. The menu was short and to the point. I like a small menu with limited choices. I really don't understand some restaurants that try to serve everything.

We started with the calamari and it was excellent. Rachael had the chicken parm and I had the seafood pasta. I was absotulety thrilled with my choice and from the few bites I stole from my wife, hers was equally satisfying.

Well, that is my review of Melillo's. I am glad we experienced it before they closed.

Well, it is up in the air as to breakfast at this point. Wild Eggs, North End or Lynn's Paradise Cafe.....any last thoughts?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:43 am

StevenKluesner wrote:Well, it is up in the air as to breakfast at this point. Wild Eggs, North End or Lynn's Paradise Cafe.....any last thoughts?

All good, and expect a wait at any of them, Steve.

Lynn's is a "classic Louisville experience," and they get on Food Network a lot, Wild Eggs is outstanding, but sort of a "chain-look" setting. (It's an indie, but designed for expansion.) North End is probably really the most typical Louisville experience, if not as famous as Lynn's. I think if it were me, I'd go to North End in a very close decision. But you can't lose at any of them.
PreviousNext