Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

StevenKluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:11 pm

Patoka Lake (Dubois County, Indiana)

Suggestions....Coming to town next weekend...

by StevenKluesner » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:50 pm

Hello Louisville! I have not been on the board for over a year and we have been unable to travel to the city. However, we are going to coming over for the weekend and would like some suggestions on where to dine.

Anything new?

Unique?

Original?

Italian / Seafood / Steak are some of our favorites.

Looking for a really good place for breakfast as well.
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Re: Suggestions....Coming to town next weekend...

by Will Crawford » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:55 pm

Steven,
Welcome back. We are having a great band play at the restaurant on Saturday Dec.13th. They are called Whiskey Bent Valley Boys. They play roots music.
We serve a Bison Rib eye steak as well as a beef Strip and Filet. 502 222 4626 for reservations.

Thanks
Last edited by Will Crawford on Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will Crawford
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:57 pm

Will,

We are having a great bad play

So is the play a satire, or are they just lousy actors????? :wink:

Deb
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:37 pm

fixed. :oops: Thanks Deb.
Will Crawford
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:46 pm

For breakfast I'd suggest either North End Cafe or Wild Eggs, both offer menu selections instead of a buffet.

For dinner there are many many choices that fit your criteria. As mentioned previously Westport General Store has excellent food and a great atmosphere especially when they have live music. North End Cafe also has excellent dinner choices. Another fun place that has a great dinner is Cafe Lou Lou, be sure to try one of Marcia's deserts if you go there. If you want to go someplace fancier that has topnotch food and service try Equus. I could have many more but these are the ones we normally take out of town visitors to.

Here are links to them:
North End Cafe
Wild Eggs
Cafe Lou Lou
Equus
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:52 pm

North End Cafe and Wild Eggs are both good choices.....but since you're in town over the weekend, you might try The Irish Rover for their traditional Irish breakfast/brunch....something a little out of the ordinary...
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:24 pm

I'd go to Lynn's Paradise Cafe for breakfast. The others may have very slightly better food, but Lynn's is the "traditional" Louisville experience.

Another with good food (not top 5, but certainly in upper class) is Bourbon Bistro, where we take guests for the bourbon flights that you just can't get outside of this area. Good steaks, good fish both.

Otherwise, I'd do searches on this board. Where are you coming from? If it has few ethnic places, you can get great fish at many Asian restaurants here as well as the more standard. Jeff Ruby's has great steaks (dry ages 28 days) and live music all weekend. Too many to mention!
Andrew Mellman
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:32 pm

I am a North End Cafe fan to the end of time. They have THE best breakfast in the Ville. Steak, go to Jeff Ruby's if you can afford it. Count on 2-300 dollars for a nice meal with wine/drinks. I would also suggest a visit to Holiday Manor. There you can check out Shiraz, Mojito and 3-4 more places I cannot think of off the top of my mind. Impelizzeri's pizza is next door to Holiday Manor. PM me if you need more detail.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:06 pm

Pat's Steak house if you want a Kentucky experience. You can't go wrong with any place that's been mentioned.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:23 pm

Mark Head wrote:Pat's Steak house if you want a Kentucky experience. You can't go wrong with any place that's been mentioned.

Totally agree. If you go to Pat's, please be prepared to step back about 50 years into the past. In all ways.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:50 am

Doogy R wrote:
Mark Head wrote:Pat's Steak house if you want a Kentucky experience. You can't go wrong with any place that's been mentioned.

Totally agree. If you go to Pat's, please be prepared to step back about 50 years into the past. In all ways.

...AND be prepared to spend some $$$$....great steaks and dining experience, but pricey.

-- Samuel Goldwyn
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:55 am

John Greenup wrote:...AND be prepared to spend some $$$$....great steaks and dining experience, but pricey.

Unless things have changed, though, John, it's a heck of a lot more affordable than Ruth's Chris or Morton's, and a heck of a lot less pretentious.
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:00 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
John Greenup wrote:...AND be prepared to spend some $$$$....great steaks and dining experience, but pricey.

Unless things have changed, though, John, it's a heck of a lot more affordable than Ruth's Chris or Morton's, and a heck of a lot less pretentious.

I guess that's relative, Robin; but we were recently planning a dinner at Pat's (haven't eaten there in a few years) and I visited their web site beforehand to scan the menu.....a bit of sticker-shock, to say the least. :shock:

-- Samuel Goldwyn
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:04 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Pat's is a Great place for an "Old Louisville" dining experience as already attested to above. Just be aware they require payment in good ol' American greenbacks. No new fangled credit/debit cardy things. :)

Bonus kudos to one of the best Perfect Manhattans in town. :D
no avatar
User

StevenKluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:11 pm

Patoka Lake (Dubois County, Indiana)

by StevenKluesner » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:06 pm

Pat's sounds good. I have been to Ruth Chris' and Morton's but they seem a little high brow for me.

What about seafood? Any thing you would recommend.

I am going to plan on the North End Cafe.
Next