Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Marcello's a non-starter?

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Marcello's a non-starter?

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:55 pm

Just got this Email. Anybody know anything? Given the record of the folks who opened and closed THREE Italian restaurants in quick succession, I can't say I'm terribly surprised ...

Do you happen to know what has happened to the un-opening of Marcello's in the old Diamante spot? They went in a spent several months renovating the place and that is all. Now, the signs are gone so I assume they are not opening.

Of course, with the new Cafe Lou Lou in the loop, they probably would not have been very successful.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Re: Marcello's a non-starter?

by Jay M. » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:53 pm

There is a story on the planned opening in Business First. Sorry, I don't remember the details, but there seemed to be no question that it would open. I share your sentiments, though.

On edit: The article says: They expect to open the restaurant in mid-December. For more information, visit http://www.chefmarcello.com.
User

Wes P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:59 pm

Impellizzeri's Pizza

by Wes P » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:49 pm

I got a report from the folks at Left Field Lounge, that it's not going to open.
The Original Impellizzeri's Pizza
www.impellizzeris.com
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jay M. » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:50 pm

Wes P wrote:I got a report from the folks at Left Field Lounge, that it's not going to open.

The "opening soon" sign has been in the window for quite a long time with little sign of activity so I was beginning to believe it would not open. The Biz First article I referenced was in the November 28, 2008 edition (last week). How far in advance do they prepare those articles? Could the owners' plans have changed between the time the article was written and the day it appeared in print?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:18 pm

Jay M. wrote:Could the owners' plans have changed between the time the article was written and the day it appeared in print?

Sadly, sometimes owners, disappointed and a little ashamed, are hesitant to admit the obvious for publication. Remember when poor Bim Deitrich told the CJ that Primo might not close after all "if business got better," after everyone had been given notice and was looking for new jobs?
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jay M. » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:39 pm

I do remember that. We went to Primo after the closing was announced and spoke to Bim Deitrich briefly. He told us he had some restaurant consulting opportunities in Seattle. I don't recall if he planned to leave Louisville - do you know what he's doing? He's a classy guy.

Robin Garr wrote:Remember when poor Bim Deitrich told the CJ that Primo might not close after all "if business got better," after everyone had been given notice and was looking for new jobs?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:18 am

Jay M. wrote:I do remember that. We went to Primo after the closing was announced and spoke to Bim Deitrich briefly. He told us he had some restaurant consulting opportunities in Seattle. I don't recall if he planned to leave Louisville - do you know what he's doing? He's a classy guy.

I'm trying to remember, Jay. He had family in Charleston, I think, and spoke of a consulting job in ... Las Vegas? Santa Fe? I remember he sat and talked with us for a long time (and also spent time with Marty Rosen, who was also eating there the same night) and it was nostalgic and sad, but yet he seemed happy and looking forward to the future.