Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Keg Liquors is King of the Beers.

no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Keg Liquors is King of the Beers.

by Doogy R » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:47 pm

Connoisseurs delight in a huge, deep selection.

I was hesitant to post this because of the source, but some of our regular forumites (Todd Antz and Roger Baylor) are mentioned and thought it might be of interest.

Linkie http://www.courier-journal.com/article/ ... 90395/1032
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Keg Liquors is King of the Beers.

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:56 pm

Doogy R wrote:Connoisseurs delight in a huge, deep selection.

I was hesitant to post this because of the source, but some of our regular forumites (Todd Antz and Roger Baylor) are mentioned and thought it might be of interest.

I don't mind any props for local food and drink businesses being mentioned here, but I'm getting a little bit tougher on creating live links to the CJ, since I've learned that their advertising people are making readership claims to advertisers based on Web "hits," and this forum's links account for a substantial flow.

The Web should not have to work this way, but if a competitor is going to use the traffic my site produces as an effort to persuade advertisers, I'm inclined to stop giving those links. That's why I haven't been posting the Saturday dining reviews for the past few weeks.

In the future, I'd like it better if folks would *summarize* CJ articles rather than actually linking to them. Do not cut-and-paste the full story, though; that raises copyright issues. But insofar as the CJ is concerned, no links, please.

Other links are okay.
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:25 pm

Thanks for the post Doogy!

We've received a lot of attention from the article. The primary questions/calls have been people asking for beers that are not available in the area, which unfortunatly, we cannot get either. Regardless, it has been a positive situation.

Roger had a nice piece in his Potable Curmudgeon blog about the article as well. Hopefully between all the links that have been going around we have not raised any more advertising rates!
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:55 pm

Robin,
You are the king of food in the Louisville Metro area. I would not worry too much about the links on this site to the C-J. Plus the more links you have to other sites helps you in the world wide web search engines. That is what it is about anyway- linking the world to others.

I see your point though- as a lot of the restaurant news that is printed in the c-j is first reported here. A little frustrating but you must also see it as flattery too. We all know the score.
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:57 pm

Will, I hear you, and it's not a move I take lightly. But I'm still troubled that links from this site make up a substantial chunk of traffic to the CJ's food-and-dining articles, and I've been told that their ad people cite these statistics in evidence that advertising in their pages makes sense. I've got a real problem with helping Gannett sell ds.

Will Crawford wrote:Robin,
You are the king of food in the Louisville Metro area. I would not worry too much about the links on this site to the C-J. Plus the more links you have to other sites helps you in the world wide web search engines. That is what it is about anyway- linking the world to others.

I see your point though- as a lot of the restaurant news that is printed in the c-j is first reported here. A little frustrating but you must also see it as flattery too. We all know the score.
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:58 pm

hells yeh
we stopped in Saturday night and picked up a few beers ourselves

hooray for good beer
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:58 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Doogy R wrote:Connoisseurs delight in a huge, deep selection.

I don't mind any props for local food and drink businesses being mentioned here, but I'm getting a little bit tougher on creating live links to the CJ, since I've learned that their advertising people are making readership claims to advertisers based on Web "hits," and this forum's links account for a substantial flow.

The Web should not have to work this way, but if a competitor is going to use the traffic my site produces as an effort to persuade advertisers, I'm inclined to stop giving those links. That's why I haven't been posting the Saturday dining reviews for the past few weeks.

In the future, I'd like it better if folks would *summarize* CJ articles rather than actually linking to them. Do not cut-and-paste the full story, though; that raises copyright issues. But insofar as the CJ is concerned, no links, please.

Other links are okay.

Not a problem. As I said, I was hesitant to post something from the CJ but this article was so positive. I quit subscribing to it in 2000. I was wondering why you hadn't been posting the Saturday reviews, but figured it had something to do with traffic. Whether or not Marty works for the CJ, he does generally put out good reviews.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:04 pm

Doogy R wrote:Whether or not Marty works for the CJ, he does generally put out good reviews.

I agree, but actually, that's another issue. Marty recently communicated through someone here that he does not have time to participate in this forum. In my opinion, it's a little less suitable to critically review his reviews if it's "behind his back," or at least only in rare cases if an issue arises where I feel a CJ review could be unfairly damaging to a local restaurant. That doesn't happen often, if ever, so it's a non-issue.

Again, don't hesitate to post a precis or summry of a CJ food or drink article. It's certainly appropriate to pass along the props. I'm just a little less eager to give them links any more.
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:01 am

Yes, King of Beers is appropriate.

As I've scribed here before, Todd has led me to a love of good beer from disdain of "corporate swill". Dag gone that Rochefort 10 has put a mighty strain on my resources. :twisted:

During the past summer I've complained that Bell's Hopslam was out of rotation. Roger was right......Hopslam and wasabi laden sashimi are the BOMB. A few weeks back Todd, being aware of (putting up with) my protest, shot me an email declaring he had snagged an '07 case returned to his distributor. Todd gave me a brief explanation of what to expect taste wise in a 10 month bottle rest. The mellowing is remarkable. This is one of the (many) reasons for my first remark. Todd's commitment to customer satisfaction goes above and beyond. :D

Keep it up Todd!!

¡BRAVO The KEG!