Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Mazzoni's Closed

no avatar
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

Mazzoni's Closed

by John Greenup » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:58 pm

The C-J reported in its on-line edition this afternoon that Mazzoni's closed its Middletown location over the weekend, less than one year after moving from the > 30 year site on Taylorsville Rd (across from Bowman Field)....the restaurant's owner cited the sluggish economy as the primary reason for the closing.

Rolled oysters -- you loved 'em or hated 'em, but a Louisville tradition is gone (for now). :cry:
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Mazzoni's Closed

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:17 pm

John, thanks ... you and Rebecca posted almost simultaneously. Here's the other thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4781

I loved Mazzoni's and the rolled oysters, although I do have to say that my last visit to the new location filled me with foreboding. No crowd at lunch time, and the rolled oysters were half-burned and funky.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:26 pm

Oh my. Funky and oysters is not a good combo. Still I'm always saddened to see a restaurant close, and especially one that is steeped in so much Lou-history.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:15 am

This one really hurts. I remember eating at the original one with my grandfather more than 50 years ago.
So sad.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Jim Greenbrier

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:28 pm

Norton Commons (Prospect,Kentucky)

A Harbinger appeared shortly ago !

by Jim Greenbrier » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:14 am

A Sad, Sad Historic Closing...

But my recent not inexpensive fish sandwich arrived comprised of three FISH STCKS....Was it Mrs Pauls as the supplier?
Maybe, but it signaled the future strangely in a bizarre fashion.

Six generations of my family has eaten at Mazzonis. One family story speaks of my Grandfather s requested "Last Meal" which the Preacher 'fetched" via Street Car from Mazzonis. A Christmas Eve Tradition was usually their oysters for dinner which even involved a commute from Cincinnati..

Regardless of how Mr Haner spins it, the Middletown new location brought inconvenience and added expense to his long established customer base. The entrance and exit from the rather ordinary Strip Mall brought also very hazardous traffic challenges.

JJG III
no avatar
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:59 am

After moving to Oldham County, several years ago, I didn't frequent Mazzoni's as much as before and was not even aware they had moved to Middletown....it was one of my father's favorite local haunts, and recall many times as a kid tagging along for lunch (rolled oysters, hot sauce and an ice-cold Coke -- yum!)....as much as I hope it can be resurrected, once an indie goes you rarely seen them return...
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:30 pm

We went to the new location once. I noticed the bus pan cart was at the front of the restaurant by the first booth. I meant to quietly suggest all that and the cleaning supplies should go somewhere else.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

RIP Mazzonis

by Steve Shade » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:36 pm

No matter what the reason for having to close, it is a shame to lose the oldest family owned restaurant in the area. Same family for 125 years.

Wishing Greg Haner best of luck in the future.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers