Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Mazzoni's Closing

User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

Mazzoni's Closing

by Rebecca Clark » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:53 pm

Story in Robin's favorite birdcage liner ...

Century-old Mazzoni’s closes in Middletown
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20081201/ZONE05/81201024
"Save the neck for me, Clark!" - Cousin Eddie
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Re: Mazzoni's Closing

by Bill Veneman » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:57 pm

Oh, how sad.......

I've been there several times since they moved to that location. It's very convienent for me, but I didn't know they were hurting that bad.

OK, Robin, Baer's, and now Mazzoni's........there is not much left for the "old farts" to refer to........
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:01 pm

Rebecca Clark wrote:Story in Robin's favorite birdcage liner ...

Century-old Mazzoni’s closes in Middletown
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20081201/ZONE05/81201024

Rebecca: I had a similar posting; we must have read the CJ article about the same time....
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am

by Caroline K » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:08 pm

That is super sad news! We used to go to the old location a lot hosting family get-togethers and parties...I wish Greag and the haners the Best!!!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:10 pm

Rebecca Clark wrote:Story in Robin's favorite birdcage liner ...

The thing that really burns me is that we've known about this for several days, but agreed with my source to hold it until the owners were ready to announce, out of respect to their years of service to the community.

Looks like that kind of thing isn't important to the birdcage-liner people. Good thing that fewer and fewer people are reading it any more ...
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:16 pm

I'm really not so sure how much the economy had to do with this closing. Since they opened in Middletown their food has only been mediocre and the service wasn't any better. It's sad to see an old institution like this close but I really think they brought most of it on themselves.

Does anyone know why they moved? Last I was by it the old location was still vacant so it appears they spent an awful lot of money moving and remodeling which I'm sure didn't help the bottom line.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:43 pm

Wow! I believe the old location is occupied by Queen of Sheba Ethiopian restaurant.

To say that someone brought a financial hardship on themselves is a little harsh.
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:45 pm

Wow, this is terrible news. Any word on Flabby's, since they have the same ownership?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:53 pm

Mark R. wrote:Does anyone know why they moved?

My understanding at the time was that restaurant management was at odds with the building owners and unhappy with inability to get renovations and maintenance done.

The substantial renovation for Queen of Sheba, as noted, does call that into some question, though.
User

Sally M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:45 pm

by Sally M » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:25 pm

Pet peeve and have seen it twice lately on this forum, not to mention countless times in the workplace:

If you know something and decide not to tell it (for whatever reason and probably a very good one), or perhaps your boss asked you not to tell it, then when it does finally get told by someone else, please remember that WE DON'T CARE IF YOU KNEW IT and decided not to tell it.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

by Heather Y » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:40 pm

User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:44 pm

I read they couldn't get a liquer lic. in the Bowman Field location because of Air Devils Inn's proximity?

Sad to see an institution go down.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:04 pm

Wow, I am so sad to hear about this great loss. I'm not originally from here, but the first time I stepped into Mazzoni's years ago, the history and feeling of a local institution was pervasive. When I lived closer to the restaurant, it was a 'go-to' place, and something that could, in my mind, always be counted on. I was really surprised to learn of their move last year, and wondered then what kind of affect that would have on their business. I can't help but think that the move doesn't have something to do with their closing, but please don't hate me for thinking outloud. I'm not condemning their decision, just wondering.

But I would truly like an update on Flabby's, if anyone has any insight. It's another of our favorites, and we would truly be saddened to lose them both.
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

by Todd Pharris » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:16 am

I used to live in a 4-plex right next to the Mazzoni's on Taylorsville Road. I ate more rolled oysters and fish sandwiches that I'd care to admit. I'm very sorry that they're closing, but I can't help but think they'd still be in business if they stayed in the old location.

I'm hoping Flabby's stays open and I'll be able to get my rolled oyster fix along with the best fried chicken in town.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:48 pm

Todd Pharris wrote:
I'm hoping Flabby's stays open and I'll be able to get my rolled oyster fix along with the best fried chicken in town.

I just called Flabbys and the lady who answered the phone said they were open and hadn't been told otherwise.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers