Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Excellent visit to Cafe Lou Lou

no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

Excellent visit to Cafe Lou Lou

by Roger A. Baylor » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:20 pm

I'm trying to get into the habit of remembering to give shout outs to people and places that do a great job. There's a lot of fear and anxiety around these days, and the best antidote to me is giving credit where credit's due.

On Saturday evening, I escaped work to run some errands, and the Missus and I went to eat at Cafe Lou Lou (Sears Ave.). We got there just in the nick of time, as it filled to the seams shortly after we were seated.

I'd not been there since the move from Frankfort Ave., and that's a mistake (correctable) on my part, because from top to bottom, it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Lou Lou was packed, yet the service was prompt and efficient without being overbearing. Lots of nice attention to detail. I had a made-to-order pizza with jalapeno's, roasted garlic and anchovies (with a few black olives for balance), and D followed suit with a veggie pizza sans cheese. The all-North American beer list is a good idea; I'd like to slip an NABC onto the draft lineup when there's a chance later in 2009. My choices were Schlafly Christmas and New Holland Mad Hatter. D loved the tiramisu (I think - I'd had a few beers at this point) for dessert.

Great to see them doing well. We've been holding our own and occasionally exceeding seasonal norms, punctuated by some downward dips to be expected in this economy. Continued best wishes to Lou Lou ... you'll be seeing me more often.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Excellent visit to Cafe Lou Lou

by Marsha L. » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:15 pm

Roger, thanks. It's always great to know things go well even when we're packed to the rafters. The staff and crew at the St. Matthews location is a well-oiled machine at this point - definitely purrs along with very few bumps in execution. Now I need to get back across the Big Greasy to your place, and bring John.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:04 pm

Did someone say Tiramisu? OMG, so there! Love Lou Lou. Need to pop in ourselves, preferably at a time where we can say hi to Marsha!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:07 pm

Michelle R. wrote:Did someone say Tiramisu? OMG, so there! Love Lou Lou. Need to pop in ourselves, preferably at a time where we can say hi to Marsha!

Michelle, I'm usually at the St. Matthews store until about 10:30 or 11:30 AM, weekdays except Tuesday. The tiramisu is available at both Lou Lou locations - but the one at St. Matthews is raspberry. 8)
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Jean P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:46 pm

by Jean P » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:53 pm

Funny, my DH and I were at Cafe Lou Lou Saturday night as well. It was a great atmosphere. We split the hummus appetizer despite my husband's claims that he wouldn't eat hummus (he finished off more than half of it!) and we each had half portions of Meatballs with linguini and the Pasta bolonese. Delicious! We finished the night by sharing the vanilla bean creme brulee.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the Cardinal cocktails - they were a major hit with the Three Olives Cherry vodka!