Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Happy Thanksgiving

no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Happy Thanksgiving

by GaryF » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:06 pm

Here's hoping all my forum friends have a delightful Thanksgiving.
Eat drink and be merry- and let's remember to help those in need of food too- not only for the holidays but throughout the year.
Gary Fox
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Happy Thanksgiving

by Marsha L. » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:16 pm

Yes, Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

We lost my mom (I always laugh when people say that, and want to say "did you ever find her?") four years ago to diabetes, but I think of her SO MUCH during the holidays, and especially at Thanksgiving. She looked forward to it so much, because she'd let herself go off her diet totally that day (always paid for it later in dialysis, sad to say - but she always would say it was worth it). I miss you, Mom!

Now, the rest of you that still have mothers - give that woman the affection, comfort, pampering and love she deserves tomorrow. Treat her like you would if you knew it was the last Thanksgiving you'd be with her. Don't get frustrated when she bitches about the football game and make sure she sits down and eats dinner instead of running back and forth from the kitchen. Don't kid yourself that she prefers it that way - she might think she does, but this year try waiting on HER, and see what happens.

My White Castle stuffing has been made and sent to work with my boyfriend for their pre-thanksgiving office party. What are you guys making?

BTW, Lynne Rossetto-Kasper and The Splendid Table on NPR do a great Thanksgiving radio special every year ("Turkey Confidential") from 11 AM to 1 PM where folks call in with their Thanksgiving meal crises and questions - it's fun to listen to while you're making dinner. Check it out tomorrow morning on WFPL 89.3 FM, 11:00 AM.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:26 pm

Here's wishing everyone on the forum a safe, merry and happy Thanksgiving. This is a time to really think about that for which we are thankful.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Joe Pennington

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:53 am

Louisville KY."Germantown"

by Joe Pennington » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:29 pm

White Castle stuffing??? Tell me more.. Please... Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Advance confidently in the direction of your dreams and endeavour to live the life which you have imagined and they shall meet with unexpected success. HDT
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:40 pm

Joe Pennington wrote:White Castle stuffing??? Tell me more.. Please... Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Ow, my arm! Okay, I posted this earlier this year and (I think) last year, too. This is not my recipe, just one I inherited from online. It's REALLY good, and if you don't tell folks it's made of White Castles, they will never know. But if you DO tell them, they immediately say "ohhhhhhhh....YEAH!" because the steamed onion dice on the burgers have a very distinctive taste.

Don't stuff this in the turkey (I'm against any stuffing inside the turkey because of bacterial concerns. If you cook it long enough to be safe inside the turkey, it'll be too dry). Just apply PAM or pan spray to an 8 or 9-inch square casserole dish, and you're good to go.

2 boxes (6 each) frozen White Castle Hamburgers (Kroger, Valu Market, every grocery seems to have them in the frozen "novelties" section, with the jalapeno poppers, etc)
2 cups celery, small dice
1 cup yellow onion, small dice
1-1/2 cups sauteed mushrooms
1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 2 teaspoons dried thyme)
2 teaspoons ground/rubbed sage
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 cup coursely chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1-1/4 cups chicken broth
4 eggs, slightly beaten
Kosher salt to taste

Dice the burgers into pieces and add diced celery, onion, mushrooms, parsley and seasonings. Toss and add chicken broth and beaten eggs. Mix well but do not "over-squish". Bake covered with foil at 350F for about 35-45 minutes, taking the foil off near the end to crisp the top up.

Note: Allow 1 hamburger for each pound of turkey, which will be the equivalent of 3/4 cup of stuffing per serving of turkey!
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:56 pm

Marsha L. wrote:Yes, Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

What are you guys making?

I ain't makin' nothin! That's the way my momma likes it!

Just kidding, I will stand in scrupulous supervision to ensure that all members of my family dutifully contribute and don't stab one another with spatulas. I'll be their conscience on Turkey Day.

Just kidding! I'm just going to show up at my beautiful Momma's as SOON as I awaken and do whatever she tells me to do, clean up after I come out of my coma, and flee to my friends for the real party! I love Thanksgiving.

Marsha L. wrote: BTW, Lynne Rossetto-Kasper and The Splendid Table on NPR do a great Thanksgiving radio special every year ("Turkey Confidential") from 11 AM to 1 PM where folks call in with their Thanksgiving meal crises and questions - it's fun to listen to while you're making dinner. Check it out tomorrow morning on WFPL 89.3 FM, 11:00 AM.

Was already totally planning to listen to this. I love NPR on Thanksgiving (in addition to always).
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:08 pm

I'm making peanut butter pie, and my mom will make fudge pie. Quite a delicious (fattening) combo. My mom usually makes a dessert, turkey, and green beans, and asks everyone to bring a dish to share. I love getting together with all my aunts, uncles, cousins, family, and friends. I'm blessed that my family gets along famously, and we all have a good time. I truly look forward to the Holiday season all year. Hope everyone is as blessed as I am. Be safe! Enjoy this special time with your loved ones!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:12 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to all my forum pals!

I can't believe that a "foodie" like me is neither cooking nor going to a restaurant tomorrow. We'll be eating well, though, with an elegant Thanksgiving lunch at St. Matthew's Episcopal in the middle of the day (I'll be the sommelier. ;) ) followed by a light dinner with friends and their family in the evening. Should be a pleasant day with a lot to be thankful for even in the midst of growing hard times.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:35 pm

Lamb tenderloin, risotto, something with real cranberries (none of that wiggly stuff at our house!), asparagus ... not sure what else, but I'll figure it out tomorrow!
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:36 pm

My goal is to NOT eat myself into a food coma. Ugh. I hate that "overstuffed" feeling. :lol:
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:47 pm

Well, we're trying something new at my house this year. We're doing Thanksgiving breakfast, because of other commitments throughout the day. So the family will gather early for sweet potato latkes with homemade applesauce, waffles with real maple syrup, biscuits and gravy, roasted asparagus, fruit salad and caramel sticky buns, and blintzes with cranberry compote.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:50 pm

Leah s wrote:Well, we're trying something new at my house this year. We're doing Thanksgiving breakfast, because of other commitments throughout the day. So the family will gather early for sweet potato latkes with homemade applesauce, waffles with real maple syrup, biscuits and gravy, roasted asparagus, fruit salad and caramel sticky buns, and blintzes with cranberry compote.

Hey, that's great. What time are we supposed to be there, again? :wink:

man, that sounds good
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

Joe Pennington

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:53 am

Louisville KY."Germantown"

by Joe Pennington » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:55 pm

Thanks Marsha. One question when you say dice...ie the burgers medium, large ??? Thanks again
Advance confidently in the direction of your dreams and endeavour to live the life which you have imagined and they shall meet with unexpected success. HDT
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:58 pm

I just dice the burgers a little bit bigger than the onions and celery. I would say between 1/4 and 1/2 inch cubes. Don't worry about trying to keep the "burger-lets" together - it's just all a substitute for the cubed bread in most scratch-stuffing recipes. It just has the bonus of a little ground beef and a little bit of steamed onions thrown in.

You won't be sorry.
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:30 pm

A most Happy Thanksgiving to all my forumite friends. Please drive safely!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
Next