Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Zen Garden...

no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Zen Garden...

by Heather L » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:56 pm

Also just a little reminder about Zen Garden's annual "Eat for Free" event that takes place TONIGHT. Sorry I didn't post it earlier - I didn't realize lunch was part of the event as well.

"For the sixth year, Coco will serve up free, vegetarian Vietnamese food to those who stop in from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 26 at the restaurant, 2240 Frankfort Ave. Customers are welcome and encouraged to make donations to one of several nonprofits. The nonprofit recipients change each year, but all are nominated by Tran's customers.

The first $1000 raised will go to Compassionate Service Society, a California center which creates a spiritual and healing environment for body, mind and spirit. The balance of the money will be distributed among the following:

1. Esperanza en Accion (Promoting fair-trade art from Nicaragua) Esperanza, or "Hope in Action" is Nicaragua-based and sells fair-trade products, economically empowering Nicaraguan artisans, fair trade garment factory workers (former sweatshop workers), and fair trade coffee farming cooperatives and their families.

2. Hand in Hand Ministries (for an AIDS clinic in Belize) Hand in Hand Ministries is a Louisville faith-based international service organization that provides food, shelter, clothing, medicine and other basics to the poorest of the poor, giving them dignity today and hope for tomorrow. Hand In Hand Ministries operates in Belize, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Appalachia.

3. Oxfam International (for relief work in Darfur, Sudan) Oxfam International, a confederation of 13 organizations working together with over 3,000 partners in more than 100 countries, searches for solutions to poverty, suffering and injustice.

4. Food Is Elementary (for work in Jefferson County schools) This curriculum teaches children about food, nutrition, and culture by introducing healthful foods through the traditions of different cultures. Already in six schools locally, this program will become available in many more schools, especially among lower income students."
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Zen Garden...

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:15 pm

I'm glad I picked up on this in advance (we had lunch there last week) and was able to sneak a little promo into the Staffpicks section in this week's LEO:

Zen koan: Do good by eating well

Feeling a little guilty about the turkey that gave his life so you can have a great Thanksgiving feast? You can restore your karma to proper balance — and get a free Vietnamese vegetarian meal, too — all day today at Zen Garden.

As she has done every year since 2003 at Louisville’s only Zen-themed, Asian vegetarian eatery, owner Huong “Coco” Tran will serve free meals from 11 a.m.-10 p.m. today. Diners are encouraged to pay it forward by making donations to a variety of nonprofit organizations nominated by the restaurant’s customers.

The first $1,000 in contributions will go to Compassionate Service Society in California. Additional proceeds will be shared among Esperanza en Accion, a Nicaraguan agency that supports fair-trade art; Louisville’s Hand in Hand Ministries, for an AIDS clinic in Belize; Oxfam International, for relief work in Darfur, Sudan; and Food Is Elementary, which teaches Jefferson County school children about healthful food, nutrition and culture.

I’m looking forward to sampling some of my Zen Garden favorites, like Quang’s Traditional Noodles, or maybe some eggplant in curry sauce. I’ll donate generously ... and I hope you will, too. —Robin Garr

Zen Garden
2240 Frankfort Ave.
895-9114
http://www.zengardenrestaurant.org
Free; 11 a.m.-10 p.m.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Re: Zen Garden...

by Heather L » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:46 pm

Quang's Traditional Noodles are my absolute favorite. I have a hard time ever ordering anything else.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)