Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

Re: Headed to Chicago, what's your favorite? (1.Drinks, 2.Food)

by Jeremy J » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:03 pm

SEPIA for both food and drinks!
no avatar
User

Aaron Adams

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:06 pm

by Aaron Adams » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:56 pm

When I went last year Avec blew me away the hell out of me. 4 of us ended up sharing approximately 3/4 of the entire menu and spent less than 180 dollars total on our food. Next time my friends and I road trip there, I'm taking them all to avec so they can experience it. Moto/Alinea could also be excellent if you're into that style if cuisine, never tried it, but ethan's review perked my interest.

Also ate at n9ne (impressive, but expensive and nothing amazing) and Sepia. Sepia was solid but have heard some negative things about it lately so I would pass.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:15 pm

My wife and I got engaged a few years ago at Kevin in the mag-mile area. The chef, Kevin Shikami, his food, and the location were very impressive (though $$$$$). My understanding is that the restaurant has closed in the past few months, but if you can find wherever Shikami has moved on to, you probably won't be disappointed.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:18 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:My wife and I got engaged a few years ago at Kevin in the mag-mile area. The chef, Kevin Shikami, his food, and the location were very impressive (though $$$$$). My understanding is that the restaurant has closed in the past few months, but if you can find wherever Shikami has moved on to, you probably won't be disappointed.

I found his new place, Shikago: http://www.shikagorestaurant.com/default.aspx?tabid=80. I have no idea if it's good, but it is the Shikami brothers, so it probably is. The space looks pretty neat as well.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Steve B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:25 pm

Chicago

by Steve B » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:00 pm

Welcome to Chicago. I agree on Frontera/Topolobampo -- and here's a tip -- go at lunch. Bypass the waiting line and go right to the bar. Say hi to Dave and ask to see both menus. You'll be able to order whatever you like from either at a nice discount on the dinner prices.
As for dinner we love Crofton on Wells. Outstanding creative American food and very serene atmosphere without the fuss of some of the hot names of the month. For drinks, Bin 36 is nice if you like wine. Plenty of choices by the glass and multiple flights to choose from. The lounge at the Hancock, although a bit touristy at times, has the most spectacular view of one of the great skylines in the world. Make sure it's a relatively clear day. Take the elevator to the 96th floor and get a seat on the glass at the south end. Tell the women in your party not to miss the view from the ladies restroom. Enjoy!
no avatar
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:28 pm

1. Drinks : BIG Bar, located in the Hyatt Regency Chicago (on Wacker)...huge panoranmic window overlooks Michigan Ave....big drinks, along with apps and dessert menu...

2. Food: So many choices, but a favorite is Bice Ristorante (158 E. Ontario St.)...excellent Italian
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Ryana D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 29, 2007 3:34 pm

by Ryana D » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:21 am

If your in Chicago go to Eve. It is a new restaurant, it has had good reviews. 840 N Wabash, off Chicago Ave, in the Gold Coast area. They have a wonderful bartender who is doing stuff with figs, fennel, butternut squash, and many other savory items. Food wise the Lobster sausage, and pheasant are tasty.
no avatar
User

Aaron M. Renn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 12, 2007 7:10 pm

by Aaron M. Renn » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:34 pm

Avec is money, but let me throw out one non-obvious choice: Bonsoiree. It's in Humbolt Park near Armitage/California. If you cab there, the mgmt will get you a cab back. It's a $55 fixed course tasting menu that will knock your socks off. It's BYOB too (which in Chicago means no liquor license, so don't forget your wine bottles) so the the price/performance is unreal.
Previous