Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Daniel Stage

no avatar
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

Daniel Stage

by Carol C » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:12 pm

I just heard from a friend of mine (who is a member) that Daniel Stage of Le Relais has gone to Louisville Country Club as Executive Chef. Apparently, he is getting married and wanted the hours and benefits that a club offers. We certainly wish him the best (as we try to find friends who are members!!!). I'm sure Le Relais will miss him but will certainly continue their high level excellence.

Not wanting to start any rumors, I did corroborate this info with an independent source before posting.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

Re: Daniel Stage

by Ethan Ray » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:23 pm

This is in fact true.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it until now.

The available Exec. Chef position at Le Relais has been posted online for some weeks now...
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:33 pm

Ethan Ray wrote:The available Exec. Chef position at Le Relais has been posted online for some weeks now...

Raising two obvious questions, Ethan:

1. If you knew that, why didn't you post it here?

2. Why didn't Le Relais post it in our Restaurant Jobs section, which would have offered locals an early shot?
no avatar
User

Catherine Davidson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:53 pm

by Catherine Davidson » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:15 pm

I think he went to Le Relais from LCC.
If you wish to make an apple pie truly from scratch, you must first invent the universe. Carl Sagan
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ethan Ray » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:48 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Ethan Ray wrote:The available Exec. Chef position at Le Relais has been posted online for some weeks now...

Raising two obvious questions, Ethan:

1. If you knew that, why didn't you post it here?

2. Why didn't Le Relais post it in our Restaurant Jobs section, which would have offered locals an early shot?

Regarding question # 1:

-I didn't post because I figured it's not always the best to spill the beans as they become known, and (more politely) was sitting on this news to give either A) Daniel Stage or B) Anthony Dike (owner of Le Relais) opportune time to make these matters public if they deemed fit or felt the need to.

-I don't hold any sort of moral clause or judgment held against me to report everything I know do I?
No one pays me to be a reporter.
I'll freely tell what I know if that's what I'm paid to do.
But I'm not.

-Frankly, in the wake of rampant restaurant rumors as of late... it seems it's been preferred that the chefs/owners/operators speak before outside sources do.

...So I kept my mouth shut, as I have with plenty of other restaurant ramblings from time to time (and sourced you with from time to time).

-It's been almost a month since Daniel tenured his notice, and you'd guys would figure it out anyway/by now (?).

Regarding question # 2:

Why on Earth are you asking me this?
Seriously.
I don't know why it wasn't posted on here.
Why not email Le Relais/Anthony and ask?

What I do know is that plenty of locals have applied for the job, and the front running candidate that is being considered comes from another well regarded local restaurant.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ethan Ray » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:49 pm

Catherine Davidson wrote:I think he went to Le Relais from LCC.

Correct.

Daniel came to Le Relais from LCC and now is going back.
Ethan Ray

no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:10 pm

i think Ethan's right on this one
i and several others on this site also had this information, but i thought it best not to speak about another restaurants inside story

shawn
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ethan Ray » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:47 pm

Shawn Vest wrote:i think Ethan's right on this one
i and several others on this site also had this information, but i thought it best not to speak about another restaurants inside story

shawn

THANK YOU for echoing my sentiments regarding this matter.
Ethan Ray

no avatar
User

Scott B

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:45 am

N'Albany

by Scott B » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:30 am

Definitely agree with your stance , there, Ethan. Apparently there has been some balking at the initial offer made to Mr. Stage, so it may not even happen. Who knows? But its usually best business to keep ones lips tight when dealing with rumors such as these IMO.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:39 am

Scott B wrote: rumors such as these IMO.

It kind of gets past the rumor stage when there's an ad published in search of a replacement ...
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:15 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Scott B wrote: rumors such as these IMO.

It kind of gets past the rumor stage when there's an ad published in search of a replacement ...

For what it's worth, I have to go with Robin on this one. If an ad is posted for the job, where's the beef?
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:26 pm

just because you are making inquiries, doesn't mean you need to let everyone on the outside know about changes in the kitchen
In fact very few of us realized there was an ad, until someone mentioned it in conjunction with this thread

Posting an ad doesn't always mean things will work out the way you planned, so for me - there's no sense in making notification until decisions are final

just my 2 cents

shawn
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ethan Ray » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:02 pm

Frankly, it's not mine, nor anyone else's responsibility to make any matter we may be aware of public.

Nor is it the restaurant's responsibility.
Sure (on the restaurant's part) it would be expected for PR sake, but usually these matters aren't aired publicly until after a replacement has been found.

They most certainly DO NOT have to discuss their business affairs on a public online forum; nor do I, Shawn V. or anyone else aware of this matter have to corroborate these stories and tell them second hand, before letting the party's that are involved speak first.

Like I said, If no one said anything, you'd have found out anyway... just like everyone else.

And you have no right to get offended that those of us who are aware of this (or anything going on behind closed doors for that matter).
Ethan Ray

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:07 pm

Ethan Ray wrote:Frankly, it's not mine, nor anyone else's responsibility to make any matter we may be aware of public. ... And you have no right to get offended that those of us who are aware of this (or anything going on behind closed doors for that matter).

Frankly, every participant here has a right to decide how deeply they care to be invested in this forum community. You've made your position clear, Ethan, and that's fine. For many of us, though, keeping up with news, trends and changes in the Louisville restaurant community is one big part of the forum's purpose. You differ? Fine.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ethan Ray » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:59 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Ethan Ray wrote:Frankly, it's not mine, nor anyone else's responsibility to make any matter we may be aware of public. ... And you have no right to get offended that those of us who are aware of this (or anything going on behind closed doors for that matter).

Frankly, every participant here has a right to decide how deeply they care to be invested in this forum community. You've made your position clear, Ethan, and that's fine. For many of us, though, keeping up with news, trends and changes in the Louisville restaurant community is one big part of the forum's purpose. You differ? Fine.

A statement of fact:
You and LHB as a whole may have a right to want to be informed, but that doesn't mean everyone has a right to inform you.

Such is democracy.

Quite frankly, if you want the truth of the matter - I've been far too busy lately to even think about posting a thread about anything like this, and only felt like participating to confirm these statements.
When you got all accusatory why i didn't 'let it be known' sooner, that's when i chose to defend my motives.
I think a number of us already offered up plenty of information beyond what has already been said.

Frankly i see no difference in if this was made known weeks ago, or now.
I don't think it harms you, me, or anyone else by knowing it today, a month ago or a month from now.
Does it?

Or are you seriously telling me that I and anyone else who knew about this had some sort of obligation to add to the gossip pile?

I apologize if I'm coming off combative in my replies... but frankly, your getting irked/upset/whatever about what are seemingly trivial details is completely beyond me.
I honestly feel I gave a completely rational and socially responsible reasoning why I didn't leak news.
Ethan Ray

Next