Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Noooooo! Not De La Torres!

no avatar
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

Noooooo! Not De La Torres!

by Mary Anne » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:38 am

no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

Re: Noooooo! Not De La Torres!

by Brad Keeton » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:14 am

It was quite a scene last night. I'm going to go for a jog in a few minutes in that direction and see if there's any serious damage.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:46 am

Holy geez, that's one of my favorite places, just sitting at the sidewalk tall-tops, people watching.

I made a purchase at Hometown Liquors at 7:55 last night. I considered parking in that back lot behind La Bodego, but changed my mind instead for some reason.

Hopefully the damage is not too great, although the pictures don't look promising.

*** EDIT: I should have known something was up. Going to Hometown, I had to dodge a HUGE house fire that had Oak blocked around Shelby. As I was coming home on Oak just west of Barrett, I was passed by a number of first response fire vehicles going in the opposite directed, one right after another. Looks like those crews got a workout last night, as it seems both fires had multiple engine companies respond.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:57 am

Brad Keeton wrote:It was quite a scene last night. I'm going to go for a jog in a few minutes in that direction and see if there's any serious damage.

Okay - just got back. The "attic" area above the restaurants was completely burned out, but the facade was intact. The main dining area of De La Torres seemed fine from a quick glance inside. There was plastic sheeting covering the tables and bar area of La Bodega, but there didn't appear to be any smoke or fire damage. I'm guessing they got things covered before either the sprinkler kicked on, or the water from above came down. Either way, neither place appeared to have suffered damage, but of course this is all based on peeks through the windows. Hopefully this is really the case.
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:50 pm

I just read the updated story on the CJ - sounds like the damage was much more extensive than what I saw in my casual observation. Too bad, and I hope they get back up and running soon. It's also great that no one was injured.
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:51 pm

That bites, and it said in Sat. paper that Miguel and Maggie were getting ready to go on vacation.... Now I guess they might have to delay a couple of days!
no avatar
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:40 pm

I was outside a couple of times last night, and it was a pretty major fire. The firefighters spent 6 hours plus containing it. (they were still working at midnight, but it seemed like it was out - they were axing away at the rear wall still though, probably making sure it was really completely extinguished).

The fire seemed to start in the second floor apartment, and pretty much destroyed the entire second and third floors. There was so much smoke, and so much water, that there is likely extensive damage to the first floor as well (just a guess, but I don't see how not - I mean where does the water go???)

A friend of mine, who lives directly next door in an apartment, helped an employee kick in the apartment door. Nobody was present.

The good thing is that nobody was injured. That is what is most important. Be careful everyone!!! (third fire within a year in our area of about a block - Doo Wop shop, and an apartment building on Bonnycastle. Scary)
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:42 pm

Nimbus Couzin wrote:I was outside a couple of times last night, and it was a pretty major fire. The firefighters spent 6 hours plus containing it. (they were still working at midnight, but it seemed like it was out - they were axing away at the rear wall still though, probably making sure it was really completely extinguished).

The fire seemed to start in the second floor apartment, and pretty much destroyed the entire second and third floors. There was so much smoke, and so much water, that there is likely extensive damage to the first floor as well (just a guess, but I don't see how not - I mean where does the water go???)

A friend of mine, who lives directly next door in an apartment, helped an employee kick in the apartment door. Nobody was present.

The good thing is that nobody was injured. That is what is most important. Be careful everyone!!! (third fire within a year in our area of about a block - Doo Wop shop, and an apartment building on Bonnycastle. Scary)

We live on Bonnycastle, and were just discussing last night with friends how odd it is to have three fires in such a close area within a few months of each other.
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Gary Michael

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:55 pm

by Gary Michael » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:00 am

More bad luck for the neighborhood...my apartment building at 2105 Bonnycastle, within sight of De la Torres, burned up around March 7 of this year. I hope the upstairs residents have the support system of friends and family that I had when I had to bounce back after losing everything in my fire. Best wishes as well to Maggie y Miguel, as well.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:17 pm

Gary Michael wrote:More bad luck for the neighborhood...my apartment building at 2105 Bonnycastle, within sight of De la Torres, burned up around March 7 of this year. I hope the upstairs residents have the support system of friends and family that I had when I had to bounce back after losing everything in my fire. Best wishes as well to Maggie y Miguel, as well.

Sorry to hear you went through that, Gary. We're at 2140, and I remember the fire at 2105 very well. A friend of a friend also lived in that building, and it was certainly a terrible event.
-Alton Brown