Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

JSteele

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:34 pm

Where to take out of town guests - HELP

by JSteele » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:27 pm

I am desperately seeking a place to take out of town guests that isn't the same old thing. I wanted to take them to Bobby J's, but that is closed. Then I thought about the Jazz Factory but evidently that is closed as well. We are talking late 30s to early 40s so we aren't interested in 4th St live type places. Would like a nice dinner and some jazz music or entertainment of that sort. I have been to Cafe' Metro previously and there was a singer but I understand that isn't the norm. Surely there is some place in Louisville that fits the bill. Oh this will be Black Friday, day after Thanksgiving. Thanks! Jen
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Where to take out of town guests - HELP

by Deb Hall » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:32 pm

We love Artemisia and they have Jazz on Friday's and Saturday's. Their patio/courtyard is enclosed in the winter and heated, plus there are fireplaces- I find it to be a great "something different" atmosphere, and we've always had excellent food there for dinner.

Deb
no avatar
User

JSteele

{ RANK }

Just got here

by JSteele » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:33 pm

Thanks Deb, that was quick!! You have saved my life. My brothers are pretty picky and we are from Livonia MI. There is quite an eclectic scene so I have to compete with that. :D
no avatar
User

Sherrie G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 4:13 pm

by Sherrie G » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:44 pm

Varanese is great and they have live music. Although you might want to check with them to find out if that is nightly or just certain nights.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:47 pm

Jen,

Proof would be another excellent place for " not the same old scene", but they don't have music that I'm aware of. They do however have modern/eclectic art throughout and a small, free art gallery attached at 21C. About as eclectic as you get in Louisville in an upscale way... If you haven't been, it's a kick and eye-opening, and the food is superb.

Deb
no avatar
User

JSteele

{ RANK }

Just got here

by JSteele » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:01 pm

Thanks all for the suggestions!
no avatar
User

Lisa A W

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:09 am

by Lisa A W » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:18 am

Bobby J and M. Roy play and sing at Valare a couple of nights a week and I love Buck's.
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:56 pm

My three, if you want live music, would be Artemesia, Jack Fry's, and Varanese.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:16 pm

Sherrie G wrote:Varanese is great and they have live music. Although you might want to check with them to find out if that is nightly or just certain nights.

The jazz is nightly...
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:52 pm

I tell everyone not to miss the Muhammad Ali Center.

Ali is known worldwide, and grew up here in Louisville. The Center is interactive, and features the many aspects of his life, including his childhood and early years in Louisville. Besides being heavyweight champion of the world three times, he stood up for his beliefs during the Vietnam war by refusing to fight (kill) even though it meant being stripped of his title and sentenced to jail. There are areas dealing with the racism he grew up with, and the charity work he is still doing. And of course, quite a bit of boxing material (you can go in a boxing ring, hit heavy bags, speed bags, shadow box, etc).

Jarfi's even has a cafe there now.

I feel it is not to be missed. Everyone goes to Churchill Downs and the Slugger Museum, but if you're on the other side of the world, people know about Ali, not baseball bats or horsies.

Cheers

-Nimbus
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:42 pm

Varanese is great
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

by Todd Pharris » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:54 pm

Nimbus is spot on regarding the Ali Center.

I was living in Las Vegas when I came home for the holidays in 2005. Visiting the then brand new Ali Center was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back as far as my homesickness was concerned. I moved back home the following summer. The Ali Center is a local treasure and everyone from Louisville should not only see it but encourage tourists to see it.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:03 pm

I don't know if they still do, but when Jeff Ruby's first opened they had nightly entertainment. Has anyone been there lately to confirm that they still do? One thing I do know is that Ruby's sure isn't the same old thing.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.