Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Sherrie G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Support your local wine/beer shop

by Sherrie G » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:15 pm

Hi all,

I don't typically buy much beer or wine. But want to replenish my stock for the holidays. Normally, I'd just hit Kroger's (or Costco's) wine shop - because of convenience. In light of what seems to be tough times, I'd like to support a local shop. So, how about a shout out for your favorite local wine/beer shop? I'd prefer to go somewhere relatively close (Prospect area), but if there are enough mentions of a particular place, that's where I'll go.

Thanks in advance for your wine/beer shop suggestions.
Sherrie
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

Re: Support your local wine/beer shop

by Matthew D » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:49 pm

Given your location, I'd recommend the Liquor Barn in the Springhurst Shopping Center.

I'm sure people will be more than willing to offer new suggestions, but using the search may help. I've been curious on this topic before and now know that there have been a number of prior discussions concerning "best local package liquor/beer store."
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:21 pm

Prospect Party Center in the Prospect Point S/Center corner of 42 and River Rd.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:27 pm

For liquor, I'd check out Hometown Liquors at Bardstown Rd. and Bonnycastle Ave., next to Bombay (run by the same family). Their prices often beat Liquor Barn and other large warehouse places, especially for bourbon. They also generally get as much or more in stock of hard to find brands as the bigger places. Fo example, Pappy Van Winkle 15yr old bourbon is very hard to find, and places that carry it typically only get 2 or 3 bottles every few months, but Hometown typically gets 5-6 bottles every month or two, and beat Liquor Barn's price by around $5/bottle.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Rick G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:05 am

by Rick G » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:36 pm

I would definitely suggest Party Mart at 42 and Watterson Expressway. You have two of the top experts on wine in the city with the owner Jerry Rogers and his assistant Vince, plus they have a huge selection and will match any price in town. It is definitely worth the visit.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:48 pm

In Prospect, the votes for Prospect Party Mart are definitely on target. Proprietor Jamie Masticola sometimes hangs out on this forum. Look him up, and I'm sure he'll be glad to show you around.

The brand-new Westport Wine & Spirits in Westport Village is also very nice - stylish, good collection (although many pricey bottles), and proprietor Chris Zaborowski has been in the wine biz in Louisville forever and is an extremely knowledgeable guide.

Working on toward town, Gemelli Wines on Brownsboro just east of Doll's has a small but good selection and knowledgeable staff. St. Matthews Wine in Chenoweth Square, across from Paul's, is also small but good, with good advice from staff. Same for The Wine Rack on Frankfort next door to Heine Bros., where John Johnson is also very helpful. And finally, in the Highlands, Old Town Liquors on Bardstown one block of Eastern Parkway has an outstanding selection. It also owns The Wine Market, a smaller but good store closer to downtown on Bardstown, near the Skid City Mall.

Those are pretty much my favorites ... the good news is that there are plenty of locals to support, and they are worth supporting.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:06 pm

Definitely Prospect Party Center- locally owned ( Liquor Barn is out of Lexington), good prices, and a great selection. The owner and his wife are both great people. They also carry a decent selection of gourmet foods and ( at least in the past), local Blue Dog Bread.

If you are looking a little farther afield, we love the new "Wetport Whiskey & Wine shop" at Westport Village. They have a great selection, knowledgeable staff and you can even buy a bottle to drink there. ( On a summer evening this is divine!) They do regular tastings on Thursdays ( with appetizers) for $5 or so. I haven't been, but happened to be in the Center last Thursday right before they started one and they looked to have an incredible crowd.

Deb
Last edited by Deb Hall on Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am

by Caroline K » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:41 pm

Love Top Hat in St. Matthews. Live right down the street so usually walk there when needing wine and or beer or booze...the staff is friendly and very helpful.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:58 pm

Robin Garr wrote:The brand-new Westport Wine & Spirits in Westport Village is also very nice - stylish, good collection (although many pricey bottles), and proprietor Chris Zaborowski has been in the wine biz in Louisville forever and is an extremely knowledgeable guide.

They are doing some cool stuff...
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:24 pm

I stop in Gemelli's next to Doll's quite a bit on my way home from work. They offer a small but cool collection of wines. Their own tasting notes are good and there's not a Wine Spectator or Robert Parker rating in sight. The staff is really nice and usually has a bottle open for tasting.

For a broader spectrum of collectable wines I'll usually go to Party Mart or Liquer Barn. Old Towne is great but not really practical living outside the Watterson. I've been up to Westport Wine & Spirits and I thought it was real nice. I'm going to buy a tasting card next time I'm in there. I don't care for the fact that they display their wine by grape varietal. I'm used to shopping buy country of origin. I don't want to have to think too hard.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:46 pm

Hi Sherrie, Definite recommendation for Prospect Party Center. If you don't see what you want they can find it for you and it is right in the neighborhood. When done there it is a short stroll next door to Butcher's Best. Jimmy and Amy (and all) will take good care of you. They have Thanksgiving hams and turkeys ready to go. Keep it local and in the neighborhood, too.
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:32 pm

For wine, The Wine Market - as previously mentioned - is my favorite. They never cease to impress me with their selection of great, interesting bottles at incredibly good prices. For booze - although they do have some liquor at The Wine Market - Old Town is the place. I'm a Highlands person, and both of these places are on Bardstown in the Highlands.

In the East End, I have enjoyed going to Evergreen Liquors on Shelbyville. They are super-nice, and they have a huge selection of everything at good prices.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:29 am

Antonia L wrote:In the East End, I have enjoyed going to Evergreen Liquors on Shelbyville. They are super-nice, and they have a huge selection of everything at good prices.

I didn't think of that one because MIddletown is kind of off my usual radar, Antonia, but yes ... also, Ken, who I think is the manager at Evergreen, used to work at Liquor Barn back when it was Party Source, and he knows a lot about wine.
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:55 am

There is a great new spot on Barbour Lane "Best Cellars" . . .
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:22 pm

Well, we don't quite make your criteria of keeping it close to your home, but you can always come check us out on the Sunny Side. There are a lot of wines, beers, and liquors that are not distributed in Kentucky, but are available in Indiana (this also works in reverse... I have to go to Kentucky to get my Great Lakes beers)
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
Next